Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Progress report: Wall paper

On 08/04/2015 10:11 PM, bob haller wrote:

ooops kitchen circuits MUST BE 12 gauge wire, each with a 20 amp breaker

Possibly in your locality but when the last wiring job was inspected
they did not say anything about the 15 amp circuits in the kitchen.

i prefer to run 12 2 with grounds it makes later troubleshooting easier

besides if you share the neutral it can overheat

it makes sense many kitchen appliances are power hogs

i believe this is a NEC requirement

I'm not going to change it now since the 15 amp wiring passed both an
electrical inspection and an insurance inspection.

The way I'm doing it, each appliance will have it's own breaker so I
will not over load anything.

The only thing I have to be sure of is that with the 14-3 ...to use
consecutive breakers so that the current in the neutral cannot exceed
rating.

The wiring had been done in 1932 so at least the old wiring is BX and
conduit. (as opposed to K&T)

Back in those days they did not pay attention to "neutral" and "hot"
so anything still on the original wiring (very little now) I will have
to check to make sure that when an overhead light is "off" that it is in
fact the "hot" wire that is switched.