Posted to alt.home.repair

Default fix broken PVC pipe

The PVC pipe that drains our kitchen sink broke in two. Since there
is no pressure on it, can an amatuer glue it back? If so, what kind
of glue should be used?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2015 9:12 PM, Jan Philips wrote:
The PVC pipe that drains our kitchen sink broke in two. Since there
is no pressure on it, can an amatuer glue it back? If so, what kind
of glue should be used?

You use the glue made for PVC pipe. Any hardware store will have it.
Usually, you cut out and replace the broken section.

Not being able to see exactly what is broken I can't tell you the best
way but it is usually best to disconnect it at the drain fitting and
replace what is needed. You may need couplings to splice in the piece.

You can probably find a Your Tube video showing how to work with PVC.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 8:12:50 PM UTC-5, Jan Philips wrote:
The PVC pipe that drains our kitchen sink broke in two. Since there
is no pressure on it, can an amatuer glue it back? If so, what kind
of glue should be used?

If you don't think you can handle the PVC glue which can be toxic, you can use a slip on coupling that has hose clamps and all that's needed is a screwdriver to tighten the hose clamps. Most plumbing supply houses and Lowe's Depot carry some version. ^_^

http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/flexi...tock-couplings

[8~{} Uncle Pipe Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 21:20:19 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You use the glue made for PVC pipe. Any hardware store will have it.
Usually, you cut out and replace the broken section.

Cutting it is more involved than I believe I can do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 Jul 2015, Jan Philips wrote in
alt.home.repair:

wrote:

You use the glue made for PVC pipe. Any hardware store will have
it. Usually, you cut out and replace the broken section.

Cutting it is more involved than I believe I can do.

In most cases you can cut it easily with a common hacksaw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

| You use the glue made for PVC pipe. Any hardware store will have it.
| Usually, you cut out and replace the broken section.
|
| Cutting it is more involved than I believe I can do.

It's easy. Use a jigsaw or saber saw with
a fine-tooth blade. All joints are first
wiped with PVC cleaner, then lathered
with adhesive. Then put them together quick
and hold them in place for a few seconds.
The rest is just a matter of getting the
fittings you need. There are also repair
joints that you can use when doing in-place
repairs. Ask a clerk at Home Depot. It's really
not a big deal. PVC is not expensive. And the
glue is foolproof. It actually melts the 2
PVC pieces together.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 21:58:43 -0400, Jan Philips
wrote:

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 21:20:19 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You use the glue made for PVC pipe. Any hardware store will have it.
Usually, you cut out and replace the broken section.

Cutting it is more involved than I believe I can do.

Then go to the bank, get a loan for $10,000 (or more), and hire a
plumber. Prepare to pay the $10K and possibly $25K, when he tells you
you need to replace all the plumbing in your home.

Marsha

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 21:12:48 -0400, Jan Philips
wrote:

The PVC pipe that drains our kitchen sink broke in two. Since there
is no pressure on it, can an amatuer glue it back? If so, what kind
of glue should be used?

Here is a dropbox link to a photo of the broken pipe:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ye5xyacv0c..._5512.JPG?dl=0

Since there is no pressure on it, I'm holing for a simple fix that I
can do with my limited abilities.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The PVC pipe that drains our kitchen sink broke in two. Since there
is no pressure on it, can an amatuer glue it back? If so, what kind
of glue should be used?

Here is a dropbox link to a photo of the broken pipe:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ye5xyacv0c..._5512.JPG?dl=0

Since there is no pressure on it, I'm holing for a simple fix that I
can do with my limited abilities.

Don't you have a neighbor kid you haven't ****ed off who might help you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The PVC pipe that drains our kitchen sink broke in two. Since there
is no pressure on it, can an amatuer glue it back? If so, what kind
of glue should be used?

Here is a dropbox link to a photo of the broken pipe:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ye5xyacv0c..._5512.JPG?dl=0

Since there is no pressure on it, I'm holing for a simple fix that I
can do with my limited abilities.

Are you sure the pipe is broken ? It may have just slipped down. Unscrew
the fitting at the top where the pipes are seperated and see if there is any
pipe inside that is broken. If not, just slip the pipe back in and tighten
the coupling nut.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The PVC pipe that drains our kitchen sink broke in two. Since there
is no pressure on it, can an amatuer glue it back? If so, what kind
of glue should be used?

Here is a dropbox link to a photo of the broken pipe:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ye5xyacv0c..._5512.JPG?dl=0

Since there is no pressure on it, I'm holing for a simple fix that I
can do with my limited abilities.

Are you sure the pipe is broken ? It may have just slipped down. Unscrew
the fitting at the top where the pipes are seperated and see if there is any
pipe inside that is broken. If not, just slip the pipe back in and tighten
the coupling nut.

Ralph is right, they could have cut the tail piece (the part that looks broken) too short and it might have slipped out of the compression fitting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The PVC pipe that drains our kitchen sink broke in two. Since there
is no pressure on it, can an amatuer glue it back? If so, what kind
of glue should be used?

Here is a dropbox link to a photo of the broken pipe:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ye5xyacv0c..._5512.JPG?dl=0

Since there is no pressure on it, I'm holing for a simple fix that I
can do with my limited abilities.

Plastic pipe. Replace it. I have used plumbers goop on certain things, but
not that connection.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 23:12:53 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

Are you sure the pipe is broken ? It may have just slipped down. Unscrew
the fitting at the top where the pipes are seperated and see if there is any
pipe inside that is broken. If not, just slip the pipe back in and tighten
the coupling nut.

You hit the nail on the head - it is actually not broken. I unscrewed
the connector, adjusted the rubber seal, and screwed it back. That
was easy!

Thank you all for the helpful (and fast) replies?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jan Philips wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 21:20:19 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You use the glue made for PVC pipe. Any hardware store will have it.
Usually, you cut out and replace the broken section.

Cutting it is more involved than I believe I can do.

If you try glue, wrap it with tape to reinforce joint. Cutting is not
hard just use hacksaw blade.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You use the glue made for PVC pipe. Any hardware store will have
it. Usually, you cut out and replace the broken section.

Cutting it is more involved than I believe I can do.

In most cases you can cut it easily with a common hacksaw.

Youtube may show how to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The PVC pipe that drains our kitchen sink broke in two. Since there
is no pressure on it, can an amatuer glue it back? If so, what kind
of glue should be used?

Here is a dropbox link to a photo of the broken pipe:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ye5xyacv0c..._5512.JPG?dl=0

Since there is no pressure on it, I'm holing for a simple fix that I
can do with my limited abilities.

Hi,
If the pipe is not vertical, it may be under stress causing the brake.
Or picture is showing the T joints in an angle? Is the other end of
broken piece a sink?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Are you sure the pipe is broken ? It may have just slipped down. Unscrew
the fitting at the top where the pipes are seperated and see if there is any
pipe inside that is broken. If not, just slip the pipe back in and tighten
the coupling nut.

You hit the nail on the head - it is actually not broken. I unscrewed
the connector, adjusted the rubber seal, and screwed it back. That
was easy!

Thank you all for the helpful (and fast) replies?

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Hey, that's pretty clever. Maybe I should trademark it.

BTW, that's a compression fitting. that I sort of joked about in another
post.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Are you sure the pipe is broken ? It may have just slipped down. Unscrew
the fitting at the top where the pipes are seperated and see if there is any
pipe inside that is broken. If not, just slip the pipe back in and tighten
the coupling nut.

You hit the nail on the head - it is actually not broken. I unscrewed
the connector, adjusted the rubber seal, and screwed it back. That
was easy!

Thank you all for the helpful (and fast) replies?

Now you had a good learning experience. Sing plumbing is all similar
to that so if you have a problem in the future, you are better
equipped to handle it. Plumber would have fixed it in five minutes
and charged a minimum of $75 just to show up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| I didn't see the picture.

I couldn't see it either. Dropbox is an odd site.
A page that should have a simple image on it instead
has a ludicrous pile of script. It seems that the
dropboxusercontent.com links work while the dropbox
..com links don't.

In any case, with this particular type of link I
find that if you change d=0 to d=1 and reload,
then the image will be offered as a download.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It looks like Ralph may be right. Either it just
fell out or it snapped off inside. You should
be able to just loosen the cap (the one with
the ridges), push the top pipe back in, then
retighten the cap.

From the photo it looks like the pipe is not
actually PVC but rather the cheap, thinner,
plastic do-it-yourself stuff. If for some reason
you can't put the pipes back together as is, go
to Home Depot or Lowes, in the section where
you can find PVC, and you should be able to find
bags of the cheap plastic fittings for sale. They
come in a plastic bag with about 10 parts -- sort
of a kit for doing a sink drain. PVC and the thinner
plastic are not interchangeable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Are you sure the pipe is broken ? It may have just slipped down. Unscrew
the fitting at the top where the pipes are seperated and see if there is any
pipe inside that is broken. If not, just slip the pipe back in and tighten
the coupling nut.

You hit the nail on the head - it is actually not broken. I unscrewed
the connector, adjusted the rubber seal, and screwed it back. That
was easy!

Thank you all for the helpful (and fast) replies?

Now you had a good learning experience. Sing plumbing is all similar
to that so if you have a problem in the future, you are better
equipped to handle it. Plumber would have fixed it in five minutes
and charged a minimum of $75 just to show up.

And the OP would have had to wait an hour or two or more in order to be
home when he arrived.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 08:40:20 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| I didn't see the picture.

I couldn't see it either. Dropbox is an odd site.
A page that should have a simple image on it instead
has a ludicrous pile of script. It seems that the
dropboxusercontent.com links work while the dropbox
.com links don't.

Worked fine for me. Of course I use IE11.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

| I didn't see the picture.

I couldn't see it either. Dropbox is an odd site.
A page that should have a simple image on it instead
has a ludicrous pile of script. It seems that the
dropboxusercontent.com links work while the dropbox
.com links don't.

Worked fine for me. Of course I use IE11.

Worked for me too. XP and the latest version of Firefox.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

| I didn't see the picture.

I couldn't see it either. Dropbox is an odd site.
A page that should have a simple image on it instead
has a ludicrous pile of script. It seems that the
dropboxusercontent.com links work while the dropbox
.com links don't.

Worked fine for me. Of course I use IE11.

Worked for me too. XP and the latest version of Firefox.

Maybe the other guys are using Win98.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

| I didn't see the picture.

I couldn't see it either. Dropbox is an odd site.
A page that should have a simple image on it instead
has a ludicrous pile of script. It seems that the
dropboxusercontent.com links work while the dropbox
.com links don't.

Worked fine for me. Of course I use IE11.

Worked for me too. XP and the latest version of Firefox.

Maybe the other guys are using Win98.

Could be. There was a sale on that at Best Buy last week.

Posted to alt.home.repair

| Worked fine for me. Of course I use IE11.

I wouldn't brag about using IE11, especially
with script enabled. In the past couple of
weeks you've been susceptible to several nasty
bugs:

http://blog.vectranetworks.com/blog/...er-11-zero-day

https://threatpost.com/four-zero-day...xplorer/113911

To Microsoft's credit, they've already patched
the Desktop version of IE11. That's unusually
fast. But there's no reason to think you're not
a sitting duck. In fact, it would be irrational
not to think so.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:

The PVC pipe that drains our kitchen sink broke in two. Since there
is no pressure on it, can an amatuer glue it back? If so, what kind
of glue should be used?

Here is a dropbox link to a photo of the broken pipe:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ye5xyacv0c..._5512.JPG?dl=0

Since there is no pressure on it, I'm holing for a simple fix that I
can do with my limited abilities.

Are you sure the pipe is broken ? It may have just slipped down. Unscrew
the fitting at the top where the pipes are seperated and see if there is any
pipe inside that is broken. If not, just slip the pipe back in and tighten
the coupling nut.

Someone sure did do a hack job on cutting it.

Glad you got it fixed, Jan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Ralph Mowery typed:
wrote:

The PVC pipe that drains our kitchen sink broke in two. Since there
is no pressure on it, can an amatuer glue it back? If so, what kind
of glue should be used?

Here is a dropbox link to a photo of the broken pipe:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ye5xyacv0c..._5512.JPG?dl=0

Since there is no pressure on it, I'm holing for a simple fix that I
can do with my limited abilities.

Are you sure the pipe is broken ? It may have just slipped down. Unscrew
the fitting at the top where the pipes are seperated and see
if there is any pipe inside that is broken. If not, just slip the
pipe back in and tighten the coupling nut.

In the photo, it looks broken to me -- with a jagged edge where it broke,
and a piece of the broken off part still in the fitting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
TomR typed:
In ,
Ralph Mowery typed:
wrote:

The PVC pipe that drains our kitchen sink broke in two. Since
there is no pressure on it, can an amatuer glue it back? If so,
what kind of glue should be used?

Here is a dropbox link to a photo of the broken pipe:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ye5xyacv0c..._5512.JPG?dl=0

Since there is no pressure on it, I'm holing for a simple fix that I
can do with my limited abilities.

Are you sure the pipe is broken ? It may have just slipped down.
Unscrew the fitting at the top where the pipes are seperated and see
if there is any pipe inside that is broken. If not, just slip the
pipe back in and tighten the coupling nut.

In the photo, it looks broken to me -- with a jagged edge where it
broke, and a piece of the broken off part still in the fitting.

Well, duh....., I just read the follow-up post by the OP who said it turned
out not to be broken and it is now fixed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 14:26:07 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

In ,
Ralph Mowery typed:
wrote:

The PVC pipe that drains our kitchen sink broke in two. Since there
is no pressure on it, can an amatuer glue it back? If so, what kind
of glue should be used?

Here is a dropbox link to a photo of the broken pipe:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ye5xyacv0c..._5512.JPG?dl=0

Since there is no pressure on it, I'm holing for a simple fix that I
can do with my limited abilities.

Are you sure the pipe is broken ? It may have just slipped down. Unscrew
the fitting at the top where the pipes are seperated and see
if there is any pipe inside that is broken. If not, just slip the
pipe back in and tighten the coupling nut.

In the photo, it looks broken to me -- with a jagged edge where it broke,
and a piece of the broken off part still in the fitting.

And it looks like ABS, not PVC.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 1, 2015 at 1:26:12 PM UTC-5, TomR wrote:
In ,
Ralph Mowery typed:
wrote:

The PVC pipe that drains our kitchen sink broke in two. Since there
is no pressure on it, can an amatuer glue it back? If so, what kind
of glue should be used?

Here is a dropbox link to a photo of the broken pipe:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ye5xyacv0c..._5512.JPG?dl=0

Since there is no pressure on it, I'm holing for a simple fix that I
can do with my limited abilities.

Are you sure the pipe is broken ? It may have just slipped down. Unscrew
the fitting at the top where the pipes are seperated and see
if there is any pipe inside that is broken. If not, just slip the
pipe back in and tighten the coupling nut.

In the photo, it looks broken to me -- with a jagged edge where it broke,
and a piece of the broken off part still in the fitting.

I thought the same thing when I saw the picture but someone may have already mentioned that the whole piece of formed drain pipe could be changed out. It wasn't in the photo but I think the pipe coming down is the type that's expanded on one end to fit the sink drain assembly. (¬€¿Â¬)

[8~{} Uncle Pipe Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 1, 2015 at 1:27:54 PM UTC-5, TomR wrote:
In ,
TomR typed:
In ,
Ralph Mowery typed:
wrote:

The PVC pipe that drains our kitchen sink broke in two. Since
there is no pressure on it, can an amatuer glue it back? If so,
what kind of glue should be used?

Here is a dropbox link to a photo of the broken pipe:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ye5xyacv0c..._5512.JPG?dl=0

Since there is no pressure on it, I'm holing for a simple fix that I
can do with my limited abilities.

Are you sure the pipe is broken ? It may have just slipped down.
Unscrew the fitting at the top where the pipes are seperated and see
if there is any pipe inside that is broken. If not, just slip the
pipe back in and tighten the coupling nut.

In the photo, it looks broken to me -- with a jagged edge where it
broke, and a piece of the broken off part still in the fitting.

Well, duh....., I just read the follow-up post by the OP who said it turned
out not to be broken and it is now fixed.

It still looked broken off to me. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Disagreeable Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It was clearly cut off by someone with little skill. One glance makes that
clear.
\

Repair broken clay pipe gna03633[_3_] UK diy 3 June 20th 12 09:11 AM
broken soil pipe Merryterry UK diy 1 April 17th 07 07:21 PM
Plumbing question: getting piece of broken pipe out of drain pipe Joe Home Repair 2 October 22nd 06 03:53 AM
Broken showerhead wall pipe [email protected] Home Repair 7 June 4th 06 03:45 AM
Broken PVC pipe to the house CathyLee Home Repair 3 March 1st 06 10:11 PM