Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oven Light Bulb Update

I checked the voltage on the bulbs that have been burning out in the oven; they're 120. I found a 130 volt version on Amazon and will send for a couple of those. I thought an LED bulb might last longer but I couldn't find any oven LEDs.

I removed the dead bulb and screwed in the receptable/socket adapter. I found that the voltage at the socket varied between the extremes of 120-106 over the course of a few minutes but generally hung around 112. I tried turning on the oven heating element and the stove top burners to see if there was any bleed-over of the higher voltage but that made no difference.

Digression: I was a bit concerned about the fluctuation in voltage so I tried a few outlets around the house; they all had about the same range. Is this something I should be concerned about? Maybe I should check the breaker box to make sure all of the connections are tight.

Back to the kitchen: Unplugging the stove, I checked the socket for defects and found none. I did clean it out with a 12ga shotgun cleaning bronze brush and bent the center contact tab up a bit to ensure good contact. After vacuuming out the socket, I replaced the bulb. I noticed that it screwed in much easier this time; maybe there had been some carbonization of the threads or something in the socket.

Plugged it in and turned on the light; the new bulb lit. Hopefully it will last for a while.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/26/2015 10:09 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
I checked the voltage on the bulbs that have been burning out in the oven; they're 120. I found a 130 volt version on Amazon and will send for a couple of those. I thought an LED bulb might last longer but I couldn't find any oven LEDs.

I removed the dead bulb and screwed in the receptable/socket
adapter. I found that the voltage at the socket varied between the
extremes of120-106 over the course of a few minutes but generally hung around 112.

Digression: I was a bit concerned about the fluctuation in voltage
so I tried a few outlets around the house; they all had about the same
range. Is this something I should be concerned about? Maybe I should
check the breaker box to make sure all of the connections are tight.

A variability _is_ an issue; if it is house-wide that indicates either a
utility problem or possibly a grounding issue at the panel as an
individual circuit or two wouldn't show up except on those affected
circuits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pavel314" wrote in message
I checked the voltage on the bulbs that have been burning out in the oven;
they're 120. I found a 130 volt version on Amazon and will send for a
couple of those. I thought an LED bulb might last longer but I couldn't
find any oven LEDs.

I removed the dead bulb and screwed in the receptable/socket adapter. I
found that the voltage at the socket varied between the extremes of
120-106 over the course of a few minutes but generally hung around 112. I
tried turning on the oven heating element and the stove top burners to see

if there was any bleed-over of the higher voltage but that made no
difference.

The voltage going to 106 seems to be way low. Power comming to the house is
by 3 wires. Across two of them will be the full voltage and from either of
those should be half the voltage. If there is more than 2 or 3 volts
difference it is time to start looking for a problem. Usually the neutral
wire is loose if this is found at several sockets in the house on different
breakers.

If you could check several recepticals at the same time or with the same 120
volt devices turned on you may find some are at the 106 and some are around
130 or more volts. The total should add up to what ever is comming into
the house on the 240 volt line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 26, 2015 at 10:09:52 AM UTC-5, Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

From an earlier post of mine. Higher voltage bulb - less light

I noticed that the GE bulb is rated at 130. My current bulb is rate 120, so the 130 will loose about 20% of it's light and will be at 350 lumens (if I read this chart right http://www.mendipcavinggroup.org.uk/...s/occpub2.html ) I did fail to list the operating voltage.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/26/2015 10:50 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

The voltage going to 106 seems to be way low. Power comming to the house is
by 3 wires. Across two of them will be the full voltage and from either of
those should be half the voltage. If there is more than 2 or 3 volts
difference it is time to start looking for a problem. Usually the neutral
wire is loose if this is found at several sockets in the house on different
breakers.

If you could check several recepticals at the same time or with the same 120
volt devices turned on you may find some are at the 106 and some are around
130 or more volts. The total should add up to what ever is comming into
the house on the 240 volt line.

Good point to add the differential discussion...

What worried particularly is the apparent short-term variability; that
implies something is really going on; shouldn't see much fluctuation at
all other than the very short sag during a large appliance or A/C motor
start and that shouldn't be long enough to even be able to read the
actual dip on a manual meter...just a quick flicker that would be visible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Pavel314" wrote in message
[...]

I would check the ground/neutral connections. A flaky neutral could be causing
such variations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 26 Jul 2015 08:09:45 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314
wrote:

[...]

When cleaning with a shotgun, try to aim the gun at an angle, so the
pellets are less likely to bounce off the socket and hit you.

cleaning bronze brush

Oh, a brush. Never mind.

and bent the center contact tab up a bit to ensure good contact. After vacuuming out the socket, I replaced the bulb. I noticed that it screwed in much easier this time; maybe there had been some carbonization of the threads or something in the socket.

Plugged it in and turned on the light; the new bulb lit. Hopefully it will last for a while.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 26 Jul 2015 10:28:42 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

From an earlier post of mine. Higher voltage bulb - less light

I noticed that the GE bulb is rated at 130. My current bulb is rate 120, s=
o the 130 will loose about 20% of it's light and will be at 350 lumens (if =
I read this chart right
http://www.mendipcavinggroup.org.uk/sections/news/o=
ccpub2.html ) I did fail to list the operating voltage.

Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

-- Groucho Marx.

You make a good point but the OP won't be reading a book in the oven and
the light he gets is probably enough.