Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Oven Light Bulb Update

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Pavel314" wrote in message
I checked the voltage on the bulbs that have been burning out in the
oven; they're 120. I found a 130 volt version on Amazon and will
send for a couple of those. I thought an LED bulb might last longer
but I couldn't
find any oven LEDs.

I removed the dead bulb and screwed in the receptable/socket
adapter. I found that the voltage at the socket varied between the
extremes of 120-106 over the course of a few minutes but generally
hung around 112. I
tried turning on the oven heating element and the stove top burners
to see

if there was any bleed-over of the higher voltage but that made no
difference.

The voltage going to 106 seems to be way low. Power comming to the
house is by 3 wires. Across two of them will be the full voltage and
from either of those should be half the voltage. If there is more
than 2 or 3 volts difference it is time to start looking for a
problem. Usually the neutral wire is loose if this is found at
several sockets in the house on different breakers.

If you could check several recepticals at the same time or with the
same 120 volt devices turned on you may find some are at the 106 and
some are around 130 or more volts. The total should add up to what
ever is comming into the house on the 240 volt line.

I would check the ground/neutral connections. A flaky neutral could be causing
such variations.