Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Coaxial and electrical wiring

I just installed my OTA for my TV signal. I'm running the RG6 coaxial
cable into my home. In doing so, I hid most of it out of sight and one
particular run will lie parallel with a brief part of the electrical
feed, about 4 to 5 feet, which exits the meter into the house. It's
hidden under a lip at the base of the house/top of foundation. The
electrical feed uses most of that space, since my meter is mounted on
the side of the house but enters in the back, thus, it was hidden under
that lip. It's the best spot to hide another unsightly cable or wire.
Therefore, my concern is interference and if I will experience any with
the cable being next to it on that short run.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 11:06:27 AM UTC-4, SBH wrote:
I just installed my OTA for my TV signal. I'm running the RG6 coaxial
cable into my home. In doing so, I hid most of it out of sight and one
particular run will lie parallel with a brief part of the electrical
feed, about 4 to 5 feet, which exits the meter into the house. It's
hidden under a lip at the base of the house/top of foundation. The
electrical feed uses most of that space, since my meter is mounted on
the side of the house but enters in the back, thus, it was hidden under
that lip. It's the best spot to hide another unsightly cable or wire.
Therefore, my concern is interference and if I will experience any with
the cable being next to it on that short run.

Thanks

The whole point of coaxial is that it's shielded, creating in effect,
a faraday cage around the signal wire. It should be fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/2015 12:02 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 11:06:27 AM UTC-4, SBH wrote:
I just installed my OTA for my TV signal. I'm running the RG6 coaxial
cable into my home. In doing so, I hid most of it out of sight and one
particular run will lie parallel with a brief part of the electrical
feed, about 4 to 5 feet, which exits the meter into the house. It's
hidden under a lip at the base of the house/top of foundation. The
electrical feed uses most of that space, since my meter is mounted on
the side of the house but enters in the back, thus, it was hidden under
that lip. It's the best spot to hide another unsightly cable or wire.
Therefore, my concern is interference and if I will experience any withask.
the cable being next to it on that short run.

Thanks

The whole point of coaxial is that it's shielded, creating in effect,
a faraday cage around the signal wire. It should be fine.

I was thinking the same, but wasn't sure since it is the main feed into
the house. Though, not a substantial load, just thought I'd ask.

I did it anyway.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
[...]

Agreed. I have had the same sort of setup in my house for over 20 years
without a problem (cable running alongside powerline).

While many people scoff at it, I use quad shield cable because it offers
better durability and resistance to physical damage. It's a little stiffer
and harder to handle, but since they make so much of it you can get it for
$20-40 over 1000' of tri-shield and even less on sale.

I use it for CCTV, too, simply because that way I can keep the strippers and
crimpers all set up for the same size wire and commector. I can't believe
when I started I was using the cheaper, thinner RG-59 cable with *twist* on
connectors. I think Mark Lloyd was the one to convince me that was insane.
Bought some Snap'n'Seals and a compression fitting tool and each cable end
looks factory-crimped.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Meanie" wrote in message
I just installed my OTA for my TV signal. I'm running the RG6 coaxial cable
into my home. In doing so, I hid most of it out of sight and one particular
run will lie parallel with a brief part of the electrical feed, about 4 to
5 feet, which exits the meter into the house. It's hidden under a lip at
the base of the house/top of foundation. The electrical feed uses most of
that space, since my meter is mounted on the side of the house but enters
in the back, thus, it was hidden under that lip. It's the best spot to hide
another unsightly cable or wire. Therefore, my concern is interference and
if I will experience any with the cable being next to it on that short run.

Thanks

It probably would be against the electrical code, but you could tape the
coax to the power wiring for a good number of feet without problems.
In rare cases some items in the house can generate electrical noise and
cause problems. Usually it would be picked up off the antenna and not the
coax.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 25 Jul 2015 11:06:19 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

I just installed my OTA for my TV signal. I'm running the RG6 coaxial
cable into my home. In doing so, I hid most of it out of sight and one
particular run will lie parallel with a brief part of the electrical
feed, about 4 to 5 feet, which exits the meter into the house. It's
hidden under a lip at the base of the house/top of foundation. The
electrical feed uses most of that space, since my meter is mounted on
the side of the house but enters in the back, thus, it was hidden under
that lip. It's the best spot to hide another unsightly cable or wire.
Therefore, my concern is interference and if I will experience any with
the cable being next to it on that short run.

I expect it will be fine, but if it's not, you can move it then.

You can color the cable with da-glow colors so it won't be unsightly.

Your friends will want some too.

Thanks

BTW, in another thread I mention how turning the lights on or off causes
a one-second interruptions in my TV sound.

All of those wires are co-axial. For an antenna, I used to use just a
plain one-strand wire, pushed into the center hole in the input co-axial
connector on the DVDR, but since 2 or 3 years ago I have an antenna in
the attic connected by co-ax to an amplifer, with co-ax to the DVDR, and
nothing has changed. From the DVDR, I have co-ax to the adapter
(modulater) and coax to the splitter, and co-ax to the bedroom TV and
up to the attic and down to the living room, to other TVs (none of them
digital.)

Everything co-ax, and yet merely turning the lights on or off causes a
1-second interruption in the sound (though no effect on the picture.)

I usually have tvs in other rooms off when I'm in the bedroom, but I
think on one occasion I had the bedroom tv off and the kitchen TV on,
95 feet of co-ax away from the DVDR, and I heard the one-second
interruption from the kitchen TV. That certainly makes sense. I'm
sure the 95 feet don't matter because the signal interruption occurs
within 3 to 10 feet of the DVDR.

Turning the lights on or off in the kitchen does not cause this
interruption. The kitchen is about 65 feet line-of-sight from the
DVDR, (30 feet less than the co-ax because the co-ax zig-zags down to
the basement and then back up again.

And it's been doing this for 7 years, when i bought the dvdr (a little
before or after the analog to digtal conversion)
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 25 Jul 2015 14:43:12 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Meanie" wrote in message
[...]

Oops. The test I shoudl be doing is turning the lights on and off while
playing a recording. Thereby eliminating the antenna as a source of
trouble. I'll do that tonight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The only possible serious problem would be a lightning strike to the power lines that could (possibly) jump onto the coaxial canble and then enter into your electronics. But the electronics are connected to the power lines in almost all cases anyway, so chances of a problem are not really increased..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/25/2015 01:28 PM, Robert Green wrote:

[snip]

d I was using the cheaper, thinner RG-59 cable with *twist* on
connectors. I think Mark Lloyd was the one to convince me that was insane.

It might have been. I used some twist on connectors years ago, and had a
lot of noise problems. I now use compression connectors.

Bought some Snap'n'Seals and a compression fitting tool and each cable end
looks factory-crimped.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

The mind of the fundamentalist is like the pupil of the eye: the more
light you pour on it, the more it will contract.

Electrical wiring gary Home Repair 17 November 15th 09 11:55 AM
Electrical Wiring [email protected] Home Repair 4 October 25th 07 05:00 PM
Electrical wiring [email protected] Woodworking 84 August 30th 07 05:24 AM
Electrical wiring Q. Grumps UK diy 14 August 15th 06 10:12 PM
Coaxial tv socket wiring Kroma UK diy 18 October 30th 05 10:11 AM