Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Code for shop lights?

I have 6 dual fluorescent shoplights in my garage. They are 30 years old and
one by one they stopped working. Probably due to cheap electronic ballasts
which are not available any more. The ballasts consist of a small plastic
box about 1"x 1"x3", one box per lightbulb (two per fixture). Therefore I
cannot replace the ballasts in these antediluvian fixtures and have to
replace the fixtures.

When looking for new dual fixtures at the Big Box I noticed that they are
all designed to be hung from the ceiling, using 2 short chains.

My old fixtures are attached directly to the ceiling with Molly bolts, no
chains.

Is the chain arrangement due to a new code requirement (in case the ballasts
ignite in the fixture), or do I need to look at more expensive shoplights?

Anyone know?

Thanks

Walter

--

www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have 6 dual fluorescent shoplights in my garage. They are 30 years old and
one by one they stopped working. Probably due to cheap electronic ballasts
which are not available any more. The ballasts consist of a small plastic
box about 1"x 1"x3", one box per lightbulb (two per fixture). Therefore I
cannot replace the ballasts in these antediluvian fixtures and have to
replace the fixtures.

When looking for new dual fixtures at the Big Box I noticed that they are
all designed to be hung from the ceiling, using 2 short chains.

My old fixtures are attached directly to the ceiling with Molly bolts, no
chains.

Is the chain arrangement due to a new code requirement (in case the ballasts
ignite in the fixture), or do I need to look at more expensive shoplights?

Anyone know?

It sounds as though you have been looking at the cheap shop lights with the short cord on them. What you see is what you get. For ceiling mounted you can get some wraparounds. If you want shop lights that you can mount on a ceiling, go to an electrical supply.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 18, 2015 at 8:44:59 PM UTC-4, Walter E. wrote:
[...]

I don't know about the code, but the shop lights I bought 30 years ago came with short chains. I screwed them to the joists in my shop and they've been absolutely fine.

I opened the case and used the chain slots as screw holes. While I was in there I removed the short cord and hard wired them to a switch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter E." wrote:

[...]

Know? No. I suggest you talk to your local code enforcement people who
are the only ones who really know. However I noticed the problem and
I'll guess that it's because being hung from chains with a plug
instead of direct wire allows the HO to claim that it's a stand alone
lamp like a regular table lamp and therefore doesn't need the
installation services of a licenced cardiologist ... oops, I mean
electrician but the costs are similar. Also doesn't require a permit
so no money for those useless civil servants.

Put in the new ones with Molly bolts. The worst that is likely to
happen is that some time way in the future they might make you take
them down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 18, 2015 at 10:44:36 PM UTC-4, wrote:
"Walter E." wrote:

[...]

And I'd guess the chains and plugs are there to make them easy to install for just about anybody.

Of course, in order to use them, there has to be an outlet in the ceiling which may require that licensed electrician anyway. I mean come on, no one would use a $6 extension cord to power a $15 shop light, would they? Surely they'd pay to have the outlet installed properly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter E. wrote:
I have 6 dual fluorescent shoplights in my garage. They are 30 years
old and one by one they stopped working. Probably due to cheap
electronic ballasts which are not available any more. The ballasts
consist of a small plastic box about 1"x 1"x3", one box per lightbulb
(two per fixture). Therefore I cannot replace the ballasts in these
antediluvian fixtures and have to replace the fixtures.

When looking for new dual fixtures at the Big Box I noticed that they
are all designed to be hung from the ceiling, using 2 short chains.

Some are, always were. Others aren't/
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-...INKO/100148706

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/18/2015 10:43 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Of course, in order to use them, there has to be an outlet in the ceiling which may require that licensed electrician anyway. I mean come on, no one would use a $6 extension cord to power a $15 shop light, would they? Surely they'd pay to have the outlet installed properly.

ROTFLMAO!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter E." wrote in message ...

The code depends upon which state, rubber lips.

LED Shop Lights Tim Wescott[_5_] Metalworking 17 August 9th 14 02:29 AM
Code Question For Closet Lights DerbyDad03 Home Repair 41 September 27th 10 08:57 PM
Motion Detecting Lights in Bathrooms - Code?? Jeff Wisnia Home Repair 47 October 14th 07 09:55 PM
Shop lights shawn Home Repair 10 September 8th 06 07:35 PM
Shop lights shawn Home Repair 0 September 7th 06 04:17 AM