Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default New Code for shop lights?

On Saturday, July 18, 2015 at 8:44:59 PM UTC-4, Walter E. wrote:
I have 6 dual fluorescent shoplights in my garage. They are 30 years old and
one by one they stopped working. Probably due to cheap electronic ballasts
which are not available any more. The ballasts consist of a small plastic
box about 1"x 1"x3", one box per lightbulb (two per fixture). Therefore I
cannot replace the ballasts in these antediluvian fixtures and have to
replace the fixtures.

When looking for new dual fixtures at the Big Box I noticed that they are
all designed to be hung from the ceiling, using 2 short chains.

My old fixtures are attached directly to the ceiling with Molly bolts, no
chains.

Is the chain arrangement due to a new code requirement (in case the ballasts
ignite in the fixture), or do I need to look at more expensive shoplights?

Anyone know?

Thanks

Walter

I don't know about the code, but the shop lights I bought 30 years ago came with short chains. I screwed them to the joists in my shop and they've been absolutely fine.

I opened the case and used the chain slots as screw holes. While I was in there I removed the short cord and hard wired them to a switch.