Posted to alt.home.repair

Default shop vac recommendation?

Is there a brand and model people like or a brand and model to stay away from?

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 9:39:11 PM UTC-5, Mike wrote:
Is there a brand and model people like or a brand and model to stay away from?

Mike

You must get a shop-vac that really sucks. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Vacuum Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/2015 10:37 PM, Mike wrote:
Is there a brand and model people like or a brand and model to stay away from?

Mike

We've used both Shop Vac brand and Rigid with good results. Whatever is
on sale at the time would be my choice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 02:37:39 +0000 (UTC), Mike
wrote:

Is there a brand and model people like or a brand and model to stay away from?

Mike

Try to find the decibel rating. My Shop-Vac is too damn loud.
You'll pay more for a quieter one, but it may be worth it.
Google.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/15/2015 09:37 PM, Mike wrote:
Is there a brand and model people like or a brand and model to stay away from?

Mike

Shop vacuum replacement filter prices might be a concern.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is there a brand and model people like or a brand and model to stay away from?

Mike

Try to find the decibel rating. My Shop-Vac is too damn loud.
You'll pay more for a quieter one, but it may be worth it.
Google.

I have two 2.5gal shop vacuums. One is a Stinger brand and the other is a Shop-Vac brand. Both make about the same amount of noise and perform about the same. I used them to clean refrigeration condensers because they were easy to carry from my service van into a customer location. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/Stinger-2-5-Ga.../dp/B008TAH3OO

http://www.shopvac.com/wet-dry-vacs/...cSKU=203-60-00

[8~{} Uncle Vac Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 10:39:11 PM UTC-4, Mike wrote:
Is there a brand and model people like or a brand and model to stay away from?

Mike

Last year I bought a Rigid 16 Gal with a removal blower. The motor pops off the top and becomes a hand held blower. Sweet!

The vac performs well, the filters are reasonably priced and the unit has a rack to hold all accessories. It also has hooks to store the cord neatly, something my old Craftsman didn't.

I didn't think I'd use the blower that much since I have a gas powered blower, but the rigid blower is light and powerful enough for quick cleanup jobs after mowing or to blow off the picnic table, deck, stoop, etc. Much quieter than the gas blower too.

No complaints
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:
Is there a brand and model people like or a brand and model to stay
away from?

Mike

If you are going to use it for general vacuuming, I'd say get whatever one
that has the features you want.

If you are going to get one for saw/sand dust collection, I'd say don't get
one at all, get a dust collector.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 9:01:42 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
Mike wrote:
Is there a brand and model people like or a brand and model to stay
away from?

Mike

If you are going to use it for general vacuuming, I'd say get whatever one
that has the features you want.

If you are going to get one for saw/sand dust collection, I'd say don't get
one at all, get a dust collector.

Or add a homemade cyclone unit to separate out the debris and keep the filter cleaner.

DAGS for youtube dust separator or try this link:

https://www.google.com/webhp?gws_rd=...dust+separator

Many options from the simplest to some pretty elaborate set ups.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-16, Hecho en China wrote:

Shop vacuum replacement filter prices might be a concern.

BINGO!! We have a winner.

Yes. Buy whichever vac is still around. Or, at least a vac that can
use parts of another brand that still exists.

I bought a cheapo vac a couple yrs back. That brand no longer
exists. Where can I find parts? IOW, I'm faced with buying a new vac
or finding parts from another brand that will fit. The vac I bought
still works fine, but I'd love to get new filters. The original is
becoming a tad worn. And, how much longer will that hose last? Get
my drift?

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-16, Hecho en China wrote:

Shop vacuum replacement filter prices might be a concern.

BINGO!! We have a winner.

Not necessarily.

Yes. Buy whichever vac is still around. Or, at least a vac that can
use parts of another brand that still exists.

I bought a cheapo vac a couple yrs back. That brand no longer
exists. Where can I find parts? IOW, I'm faced with buying a new vac
or finding parts from another brand that will fit.

Option 3: Make the other parts fit.

I ran into a similar issue with an old Craftsman W/D vac a few years ago. My local Sears didn't carry my filters in-store and I needed one that weekend. They had a few filters from another model on their clearance rack, but they were bigger than the ones for my model (more surface area is a good thing, right?) However, they were really cheap, like all 3 for less than the price of 1 of mine.

I bought all three, then went home and cut off the plastic threaded rod that the original filter screwed onto and screwed in a long piece of 1/4" threaded rod that I had in the shop. A few more minor modifications and the new filters fit just right. I used 2.5 of the 3 filters before my vac died so I definitely got my money (and efforts) worth out of the modification.

The vac I bought
still works fine, but I'd love to get new filters. The original is
becoming a tad worn. And, how much longer will that hose last? Get
my drift?

If filter availability (or pricing) is your only issue, a little bit of time in the shop might be a money saver in the long run.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Mike,

Is there a brand and model people like or a brand and model to stay
away from?

I used Shop-Vac brand for years. When my last one burned out I replaced it
with a Rigid WD1450 Vacuum. It's a lot quieter than my old Shop-Vac brands,
though "quiet" is a relative term. They're still crazy loud. The WD1450 has
good suction and has performed very well for me.

Regardless of which brand/model you buy, I highly recommend adding fine
filter bags inside the shop vac. Before I started using the filter bags the
pleated filters would clog up very quickly and reduce the suction. You can
clean them a bit by taking them out and tapping the dust off, but they
still don't work like new. Replacement filters can get expensive. The fine
filter bags also make it possible to vacuum fine sawdust, drywall dust, or
even cold ash from a woodstove. Without the bag fine dust like that blows
right through the filter and back out the other side. I always use the
filter bags and haven't changed or cleaned the pleated filter in years.

For larger machines that produce a lot of dust and chips (planers,
tablesaws, bandsaws, etc.) a dust collector performs much better and has a
larger capacity.

If you're able, it's nice to have both.

Good luck,

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is there a brand and model people like or a brand and model to stay away from?

Mike

Shop Vac is made in America iirc and has great customer service.

The smallest model won't accept soot filters, which are useful for
cleaning oil furnaces and iirc fireplaces. Though I think it's easier
to clean a fireplace by wetting the ash and sweepting it into a bag If
I could get into my oil furnace, I would do that there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Is there a brand and model people like or a brand and model to stay away from?

Years ago I had a model from Sears. The suction was good, but I did not like the vacuum itself and wound up giving it away. It had a large hose which was good for debris, but it was a very stiff plastic hose that was difficult to work with. Also it was a plastic tank with a very wide wheelbase which made it feel bulky.

I have always liked the slim metal Shop-Vac models with a nice flexible hose. The have two large wheels and a handle for tilting and pulling.

Right now I have a Buckethead from Home Depot. It is small and easy to carry around. I bought a Ridgid accessory kit for car cleaning that had a nice long flexible hose and accessories that work well with the Buckethead. Only downside for me is that the Buckethead is top heavy, so it has a tendency to tip over when pulled.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is there a brand and model people like or a brand and model to stay away from?

Mike

Shop Vac is made in America iirc and has great customer service.

By America I mean the USA.

And Shop Vac is sold without its trademark color by Pep Boys and Sears,
same maker, same design, maybe different "brand". And maybe by others.

Ridgid is sold by Home Depot. Anyone else?

The smallest model won't accept soot filters, which are useful for
cleaning oil furnaces and iirc fireplaces. Though I think it's easier
to clean a fireplace by wetting the ash and sweepting it into a bag If
I could get into my oil furnace, I would do that there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-16, Hecho en China wrote:

[...]

If you all think that story is good, let me tell you about when I was on
Apollo 11.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 10:26:28 AM UTC-4, HerHusband wrote:
Hi Mike,

Is there a brand and model people like or a brand and model to stay
away from?

I used Shop-Vac brand for years. When my last one burned out I replaced it
with a Rigid WD1450 Vacuum. It's a lot quieter than my old Shop-Vac brands,
though "quiet" is a relative term. They're still crazy loud. The WD1450 has
good suction and has performed very well for me.

Regardless of which brand/model you buy, I highly recommend adding fine
filter bags inside the shop vac. Before I started using the filter bags the
pleated filters would clog up very quickly and reduce the suction. You can
clean them a bit by taking them out and tapping the dust off, but they
still don't work like new.

No argument, but there are other options besides "tapping". My process involves taking the filter outside and throwing it up as high as I can, letting it come down on a hard surface, like the street in front of my house. That really shakes a lot of dust loose. After I've done that a couple of times, I take my canister vac and vacuum between each pleat. Sometimes, with really fine dust, I'll scrape the bottom of the pleat with a screwdriver while vacuuming. No, it's not as good as new, but it's sure works in a pinch.

My canister is the commercial version of the Eureka Mighty Mite made by Eureka's/Sanitaire's parent company, Electrolux:

http://evacuumstore.com/p-193-sanita...FQsRHwod3GcJsQ

It's great for doing the cars, stairs, ceilings and other areas where an upright - even with it's hose attachments - just doesn't work as well.

Replacement filters can get expensive. The fine
filter bags also make it possible to vacuum fine sawdust, drywall dust, or
even cold ash from a woodstove. Without the bag fine dust like that blows
right through the filter and back out the other side. I always use the
filter bags and haven't changed or cleaned the pleated filter in years.

For larger machines that produce a lot of dust and chips (planers,
tablesaws, bandsaws, etc.) a dust collector performs much better and has a
larger capacity.

If you're able, it's nice to have both.

Good luck,

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike" wrote in message ...

Is there a brand and model people like or a brand and model to stay away
from?

Mike

I like the portable model with the vibrator attachments.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I ran into a similar issue with an old Craftsman W/D vac a few
years ago. My local Sears didn't carry my filters in-store and I
needed one that weekend. They had a few filters from another model
on their clearance rack, but they were bigger than the ones for my
model (more surface area is a good thing, right?) However, they
were really cheap, like all 3 for less than the price of 1 of mine.

I bought all three, then went home and cut off the plastic threaded
rod that the original filter screwed onto and screwed in a long
piece of 1/4" threaded rod that I had in the shop. A few more minor
modifications and the new filters fit just right. I used 2.5 of the
3 filters before my vac died so I definitely got my money (and
efforts) worth out of the modification.

So DD, why is you can make a weird part fit yer shop vac, but cannot
make yer articles wrap, like above?

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Blame my corp servers for blocking newsreaders leading me to use GG.

My typing wraps in the input box in my browser (Chrome) but I guess it doesn't post that way.

BTW...I haven't heard that complaint from others. Do you all see it that way?

I'll also respond via IE and see if there is any difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:
Is there a brand and model people like or a brand and model to stay
away from?

Mike

If you are going to use it for general vacuuming, I'd say get
whatever one
that has the features you want.

If you are going to get one for saw/sand dust collection, I'd say
don't get
one at all, get a dust collector.

Or add a homemade cyclone unit to separate out the debris and keep
the filter cleaner.

Debris was never a problem for me, the problem was dust. Specifically,
sanding dust from my drum sander. Shop-Vac style pleated filters clog up
almost instantly, paper bag filters work OK but they fill up in a hurry - a
BIG hurry - and are on the far side of cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Posting via GG with IE. This is a test of the wrap feature so I'll just ramble (text just wrapped in the input box) on like I always do and see how this (wrapped again) appears when it hits the newreaders of the fine members of this (wrapped again) group.

Comments?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 07:55:08 -0700 (PDT), John G
wrote:

Is there a brand and model people like or a brand and model to stay away from?

Years ago I had a model from Sears.

When I went shopping 10 or 15 years ago, Sears and Shop-Vac were the
same except for color. Oh, maybe the exact HP was different or the
exact set of included attachments, but Shop-Vac clearly made it.

The suction was good, but I did not like the vacuum itself and wound up giving it away. It had a large hose which was good for debris, but it was a very stiff plastic hose that was difficult to work with. Also it was a plastic tank with a very wide wheelbase which made it feel bulky.

I have always liked the slim metal Shop-Vac models with a nice flexible hose. The have two large wheels and a handle for tilting and pulling.

Right now I have a Buckethead from Home Depot. It is small and easy to carry around. I bought a Ridgid accessory kit for car cleaning that had a nice long flexible hose and accessories that work well with the Buckethead. Only downside for me is that the Buckethead is top heavy, so it has a tendency to tip over when pulled.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-16, Hecho en China wrote:

[...]

So we had a square place to put the filters, but we only had triangular
filters. And these weren't just to keep out dust, these were to make
the oxygen we needed to breathe. So you think you have problems? I
had two dolts with me on this ride and if I didn't know origami, we'd
have been dead by the time we landed. As it is, we were cold as ice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 08:13:54 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Buy a Lucas Shop Vac. If it's like any of their other products it
will really suck!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Didn't wrap in Agent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

So I guess I should do my own wrapping to keep y'all happy.

I just pasted the following 2 sentences from my previous post into the GG input box, then manually added a CR where the input box wrapped it automatically. Nothing changed on my screen, i.e it didn't move the line next lines down. My guess is that *this* paragraph is not wrapped, but the following one is.

Posting via GG with IE. This is a test of the wrap feature so I'll just
ramble (text just wrapped in the input box) on like I always do and see how
this (wrapped again) appears when it hits the newreaders of the fine members
of this (wrapped again) group.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-16, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Good point. If you can't find it, rule of thumb: Small hose loud.
Larder hose quieter.

But, does it suck!?

A friend is a general contractor and was selling off a buncha old shop
vacs of various brands. I bought the smallest and loudest. Why? It
out-sucked all the others. Decide what you want, then buy.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is there a brand and model people like or a brand and model to stay away from?

Mike

Try to find the decibel rating. My Shop-Vac is too damn loud.
You'll pay more for a quieter one, but it may be worth it.
Google.

Good point. If you can't find it, rule of thumb: Small hose loud.
Larder hose quieter.

May just be me. When the pleated filter is really clogged the unit is
louder, verses a clean filter.

I notice my pool pump 'straining', sounding louder if the filters or
leaf baskets need cleaning.

My Sears Craftsman w/d vac is 23 years old. Still works well and is
only on a second pleated filter. It got plenty of use during home
detailing and cleaning stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is there a brand and model people like or a brand and model to stay away from?

Mike

Try to find the decibel rating. My Shop-Vac is too damn loud.
You'll pay more for a quieter one, but it may be worth it.
Google.

Good point. If you can't find it, rule of thumb: Small hose loud.
Larder hose quieter.

May just be me. When the pleated filter is really clogged the unit is
louder, verses a clean filter.

I notice my pool pump 'straining', sounding louder if the filters or
leaf baskets need cleaning.

It's not just you, it's physics.

The way I understanding it is like this:

When the air movement caused by the fan (the "suck") is unobstructed, it
takes X amount of work for the motor to move the air through the fan.

If you obstruct the air flow, either via a clogged filter or hose, there is
less air for the motor to move, therefore the motor is doing X-Y (i.e. less)
work and speeds up. However, what you are calling "straining, sounding
louder" is actually "working less, sounding louder."

I believe that if you put an amp meter on the motor, you will find that it
is actually drawing less current as it gets louder.

The same holds true for your pool pump. Less water through the pump, less
work, more noise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default shop vac recommendation? Question

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 9:39:11 PM UTC-5, Mike wrote:
Is there a brand and model people like or a brand and model to stay away from?

Mike

You must get a shop-vac that really sucks. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Vacuum Monster

Does it suck or blow?

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-16, Tekkie® wrote:

Does it suck or blow?

What are you? Twelve?

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

You mean when it's wet/dry/hot/cold/lazy?

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is there a brand and model people like or a brand and model to stay away from?

Mike

Try to find the decibel rating. My Shop-Vac is too damn loud.
You'll pay more for a quieter one, but it may be worth it.
Google.

Good point. If you can't find it, rule of thumb: Small hose loud.
Larder hose quieter.

May just be me. When the pleated filter is really clogged the unit is
louder, verses a clean filter.

I notice my pool pump 'straining', sounding louder if the filters or
leaf baskets need cleaning.

My Sears Craftsman w/d vac is 23 years old. Still works well and is
only on a second pleated filter. It got plenty of use during home
detailing and cleaning stuff.

When a vacuum gets plugged the motor unloads and speeds up, making it
louder. It unloads because the turbine blades "stall" and are not
moving any air - therefore doing no work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per DerbyDad03:
Or add a homemade cyclone unit to separate out the debris and keep the filter cleaner.

That's what I did and it works well for me.

Adds to the bulk, but I just put the whole thing on a wheeled cart and
it's pretty much transparent now.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Tekkie®:
You must get a shop-vac that really sucks. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Vacuum Monster

Does it suck or blow?

Windsurfers say "If it's not blowing, it sucks".
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

This is better than what you used the previous time. Now that I've
quoted it, I can see that your enitre paragraph is one line, because
there is no on the second line. This is inconvenient when I want to
put comments within a paragraph. I have to remember to start from the
bottom up, for example.

But OTOH, it wraps for me, even in Agent 1.93, because I have my own
word wrap for reading turned on. That's command O or o in Agent.

And why is it better than the previous time? The previous time, when
you first replied to NOTBOB in this thread, all your quoted lines ended
in -20, even the blank lines that were quoted now had =20 right after
And all of your own lines ended in =, except blank lines and the
last line of each paragraph.,

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
So DD, why is you can make a weird part fit yer shop vac, but cannot
make yer articles wrap, like above?

nb

Blame my corp servers for blocking newsreaders leading me to use GG.

My typing wraps in the input box in my browser (Chrome) but I guess
it doesn't post that way.

BTW...I haven't heard that complaint from others. Do you all see it
that way?

I'll also respond via IE and see if there is any difference.

Posting via GG with IE. This is a test of the wrap feature so I'll
just ramble (text just wrapped in the input box) on like I always do
and see how this (wrapped again) appears when it hits the newreaders
of the fine members of this (wrapped again) group.

Comments?

Works perfectly. It wraps when mu reader has filled the space available on my
monitor. Just the way I like it.

Much better than posts that wrap every "x" characters and don't let my reader
use the available space.