Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default shop vac recommendation?

posted for all of us...

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 08:13:54 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 10:26:28 AM UTC-4, HerHusband wrote:
Hi Mike,

Is there a brand and model people like or a brand and model to stay
away from?

I used Shop-Vac brand for years. When my last one burned out I replaced it
with a Rigid WD1450 Vacuum. It's a lot quieter than my old Shop-Vac brands,
though "quiet" is a relative term. They're still crazy loud. The WD1450 has
good suction and has performed very well for me.

Regardless of which brand/model you buy, I highly recommend adding fine
filter bags inside the shop vac. Before I started using the filter bags the
pleated filters would clog up very quickly and reduce the suction. You can
clean them a bit by taking them out and tapping the dust off, but they
still don't work like new.

No argument, but there are other options besides "tapping". My process involves taking the filter outside and throwing it up as high as I can, letting it come down on a hard surface, like the street in front of my house. That really shakes a lot of dust loose. After I've done that a couple of times, I take my canister vac and vacuum between each pleat. Sometimes, with really fine dust, I'll scrape the bottom of the pleat with a screwdriver while

vacuuming. No, it's not as good as new, but it's sure works in a pinch.

My canister is the commercial version of the Eureka Mighty Mite made by Eureka's/Sanitaire's parent company, Electrolux:

http://evacuumstore.com/p-193-sanita...FQsRHwod3GcJsQ

It's great for doing the cars, stairs, ceilings and other areas where an upright - even with it's hose attachments - just doesn't work as well.

Replacement filters can get expensive. The fine
filter bags also make it possible to vacuum fine sawdust, drywall dust, or
even cold ash from a woodstove. Without the bag fine dust like that blows
right through the filter and back out the other side. I always use the
filter bags and haven't changed or cleaned the pleated filter in years.

For larger machines that produce a lot of dust and chips (planers,
tablesaws, bandsaws, etc.) a dust collector performs much better and has a
larger capacity.

If you're able, it's nice to have both.

Good luck,

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

Buy a Lucas Shop Vac. If it's like any of their other products it
will really suck!!!

You mean when it's wet/dry/hot/cold/lazy?

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*