Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Harbor Freight

What do you think of Harbor Freight tools ?

Their prices are so much lower than other brands.

Thanks,
Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/2015 7:45 PM, Andy wrote:
What do you think of Harbor Freight tools ?

Their prices are so much lower than other brands.

Thanks,
Andy

Good and bad.

Some of the stuff is good quality and identical to what the other stores
are selling for twice the price, just a different package.

Some of the products are not top quality, but will get the job done.
Good value if you need that tool for just one job.

Other stuff is junk.

Assess your needs, use caution.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/04/2015 05:45 PM, Andy wrote:
What do you think of Harbor Freight tools ?

Their prices are so much lower than other brands.

Generally the fewer moving parts the better. A Harbor Freight moved in a
couple of blocks from where I work so I can interview the merchandise
personally. The wrenches aren't too bad and are what I carry in the tool
tube on one of the bikes. If it gets ripped off I'm only out about $50.
A floor jack spit the cradle out at me when I tried to use it. I
replaced the failed rivet with a bolt and it works. I use the electric
impact driver infrequently but it's been there when I needed it. A bench
vise was so far past fixing I took it back. A chain breaker worked fine
as did a 27mm impact socket.

Other stuff is pure crap. None of it is up to day in day out
professional use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 9:12:28 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 07/04/2015 05:45 PM, Andy wrote:
What do you think of Harbor Freight tools ?

Their prices are so much lower than other brands.

Generally the fewer moving parts the better. A Harbor Freight moved in a
couple of blocks from where I work so I can interview the merchandise
personally. The wrenches aren't too bad and are what I carry in the tool
tube on one of the bikes. If it gets ripped off I'm only out about $50.
A floor jack spit the cradle out at me when I tried to use it. I
replaced the failed rivet with a bolt and it works. I use the electric
impact driver infrequently but it's been there when I needed it. A bench
vise was so far past fixing I took it back. A chain breaker worked fine
as did a 27mm impact socket.

Other stuff is pure crap. None of it is up to day in day out
professional use.

I bought Harbor Freight tools to use as loaners or to give kids so they can fix their bikes and toys. Of course I had to consider the age of the kid and whether or not the tool could be lethal in the hands of a child. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Tool Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/2015 7:45 PM, Andy wrote:
What do you think of Harbor Freight tools ?

Their prices are so much lower than other brands.

Thanks,
Andy

It's a bit of a gamble. I've had several which are
quite functional. And a few which were useless. The
Pittsburgh flare wrenches of 20 years ago were
useless.

You can share your findings on:
http://hfreviews.com/

You and many other consumers can write reviews.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/2015 7:45 PM, Andy wrote:
What do you think of Harbor Freight tools ?

I bought a set of their crows foot wrench for 12 bucks for one job and
they did okay. Not as shiny and pretty as name brand stuff but it did
the job. My wife likes those blue LED flashlights they give away now
and then. I bought one of their auto scan tools and it does what I
expected. When I go in there I am usually looking for something cheap to
complete a single job. I don't expect it to last 10 or 20 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Ed Pawlowski:

Some of the stuff is good quality and identical to what the other stores
are selling for twice the price, just a different package.

Some of the products are not top quality, but will get the job done.
Good value if you need that tool for just one job.

Other stuff is junk.

Nicely said.

+1
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 8:14:38 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/4/2015 7:45 PM, Andy wrote:
What do you think of Harbor Freight tools ?

Their prices are so much lower than other brands.

Thanks,
Andy

Good and bad.

Some of the stuff is good quality and identical to what the other stores
are selling for twice the price, just a different package.

Some of the products are not top quality, but will get the job done.
Good value if you need that tool for just one job.

Other stuff is junk.

Assess your needs, use caution.

+1

Overall, I've had good results. Just bought a set of socket
extensions and a 3/4" breaker bar for a fraction of what something
like Craftsman would cost. They worked fine. Something like that
breaker bar, I use maybe once a decades, so it doesn't have to be
super tough, but from what I can see, it seems perfectly fine.

Example of something that was total crap was a pair of snap ring
pliers I bought. The tips were so soft that they just bent instead
of opening the snap ring. Also bought a cheap VOM to use on the
boat instead of the Fluke. At first it was OK, a year later the
readings are off by 30%.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/2015 7:45 PM, Andy wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the input.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:
What do you think of Harbor Freight tools ?

Their prices are so much lower than other brands.

It really depends on the tool AND what you expect from it.

I have a HF lathe. I expected to work well for years. It has. Years after
purchase, it needed a drive belt; HF had it.

I have a HF 4" angle grinder. I paid $15 for it, you can get them for $10
now. I didn't expect it to last long but got it because they had an
accessory shoe for it; that and a little diamond blade allowed me to cut a
series of grooves to a precise depth in a concrete slab so I could then
easily break out what wasn't cut. As I said, I didn't expect it to last
long but it is about 3 years old now and going strong.

I have a HF bridge style tile saw (the one that sells for around $185). It
works fine too but needed modification as it had a lousy (read "no") way of
making repetitive cuts the same width. I have a little more tile to do and
will be selling it; I expect the new owner will use it for years. I have
used it and its HF predecessor (same style) to lay about 4000 sq.ft of tile;
lots of cuts as window trim and baseboards are also tile, all about 3 1/2"
cut out of 12" tiles. The predecessor ultimately gave out, steel table
rusted out. The new one has an aluminum table, plastic tub.

I have a HF "score & snap" tile cutter. I prefer it to the wet saw IF the
tile has a smooth surface, much less edge chipping and what there is is
easily removed with a stone or belt sander.

I have a HF detail tool; about $20 or less. Works fine, don't like the
slide switch, doesn't slide well (same on the angle grinder). The blades
for it are expensive at HF, those from Grizzly much less.

I have a bunch of HF bar clamps. They work fine, have for many years. Same
with some HF hand screws. Only bad thing about the bar clamps was that, on
some, the pin at the end of the bar was rough/sharp...a couple of strokes
with a file fixed that.

I have a HF hammer drill, cheap one, about $32. I don't make holes in
concrete all that often but when I do, it does the job. The chuck rusts
easily.

As you can see, I am happy with my HF tools. They work but sometimes lack
the finesse and attention to detail of pricier versions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/05/2015 06:10 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
It's a bit of a gamble. I've had several which are
quite functional. And a few which were useless. The
Pittsburgh flare wrenches of 20 years ago were
useless.

I bought a flaring tool for a one-shot job and it wasn't up to the task.
It amazes me when they screw up something like a flaring tool. It must
cost almost as much to make something that looks like a flaring tool as
it does to make one that really works.

HF isn't alone in that. Motorcycle manufactures have a tendency to make
things that look just like a motorcycle saddle but turn out to be a
naugahyde covered 2x4. Great business for the third party suppliers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 5, 2015 at 4:30:41 AM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:

....snip...

I bought Harbor Freight tools to use as loaners or to give kids so they can fix their bikes and toys. Of course I had to consider the age of the kid and whether or not the tool could be lethal in the hands of a child. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Tool Monster

The problem with buying cheap tools for "kids" (or any newbie) is that they will think that that is what all tools are like. They have nothing else to compare them to. Then they try to use the tools, they have problems and they assume it is the user (themselves) that must be the problem.

My daughter wanted a set of basic tools for her apartment. While she's not really a girly-girl, she mentioned that she has seen "pink tool sets" for women. I looked at the quality of those sets and they are very low-end.

Instead of going with the pink tools I put together a set of decent hand tools, tools that will work and will last a while. When I gave them to her, I also brought along a cheap screwdriver and a cheap pair of pliers. I showed her the differences so she'll know that all tools are not created equal nor do they all feel/work the same.

Most of us know that a lot HF tools are low-end because we have quality tools to compare them to. We know what to expect and we aren't surprised when they fail. I wouldn't subject a first-time user to cheap tools for fear of discouraging them from becoming DIY'ers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2015 1:41 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

What do you think of kobalt tools? I bought myself some basic tools so
I wouldn't have to borrow them from someone else.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 1:41:45 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

You are welcome to purchase Snap-on Tools and give them away. I'd be your best-es friend. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Tool Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

I worked helping to set up a new harbor freight in pittsburgh. they actually had a day of traiing. nice people to work for. my knee got so bad i had to quit.

they track returns, many items have multiple stock numbers to track back the junk quality trash. most items appeared worth the bucks.

but its not designed for heavy duty industrial use. but neither are the prices
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 8:34:04 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
I worked helping to set up a new harbor freight in pittsburgh. they actually had a day of traiing. nice people to work for. my knee got so bad i had to quit.

they track returns, many items have multiple stock numbers to track back the junk quality trash. most items appeared worth the bucks.

but its not designed for heavy duty industrial use. but neither are the prices

I agree with the gentleman who said " You get what you pay 4."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 Jul 2015 05:43:43 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Example of something that was total crap was a pair of snap ring
pliers I bought. The tips were so soft that they just bent instead
of opening the snap ring. Also bought a cheap VOM to use on the
boat instead of the Fluke. At first it was OK, a year later the
readings are off by 30%.

I got one of those cheap digital VOMs. I got it for use on car repairs,
rather than get my expensive meter all greasy. I probably used it 5
times in a year's time. Most of the time it sat on the shelf in my
workshop. The last time I tried to use it, it just quit working on all
ranges. It was never exposed to improper voltages or settings, or
dropped or abused. Changing the batteries did not fix anything either. I
believe I paid $7 for it at HF. It's now in some landfill. I bought
another cheap meter at Walmart for about $15, that one has served me
well ever since. That one is made by GC Electronics.

I'll never buy another HF VOM.

By the way, I have an analog VOM that I bought in the 1960's which still
works too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2015 10:37 PM, Andy wrote:

I agree with the gentleman who said " You get what you pay 4."

For the most part, you are right. Once in a while though. HF will have
the identical item the major stores carry but HF will be $4 and the big
store $10. There are a few jewels amongst the garbage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 7:10:52 PM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I haven't been shopping for hand tools lately, but I'm pretty sure that the last time I looked there were a few decent choices that landed somewhere between Harbor Freight and Snap-On. ;-)

Will you still be my friend if I lend you some the names listed he

http://www.farmandfleet.com/byt/

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have one from hf about $40. Fantastic. Cheap price for what It does.

Most of my hf tools are workin great. A jig saw lost it screws for the
assembly, but my other stuff without failure. Only junk was a set of
plastic clamps.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 20:14:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/4/2015 7:45 PM, Andy wrote:
What do you think of Harbor Freight tools ?

Their prices are so much lower than other brands.

Thanks,
Andy

Good and bad.

Some of the stuff is good quality and identical to what the other stores
are selling for twice the price, just a different package.

Some of the products are not top quality, but will get the job done.
Good value if you need that tool for just one job.

Other stuff is junk.

Assess your needs, use caution.

If it turns out to be junk, and you find out during the return period
you can bring it back. I've not had a problem returning things. Most
of the stuff I've bought from them has been fine for my limited
hobbyist type use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2015 4:27 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
Some of the products are not top quality, but will get the job done.
Good value if you need that tool for just one job.

Other stuff is junk.

Assess your needs, use caution.

If it turns out to be junk, and you find out during the return period
you can bring it back. I've not had a problem returning things. Most
of the stuff I've bought from them has been fine for my limited
hobbyist type use.

I've had few HF products totally fail. Fortunately,
none of those were mission critical.

Yes, I'm a regular at HF. For some reason when
they ask my phone number, my mind goes blank. I
am sorry, I can't recall.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 17:33:03 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 7/8/2015 4:27 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
Some of the products are not top quality, but will get the job done.
Good value if you need that tool for just one job.

Other stuff is junk.

Assess your needs, use caution.

If it turns out to be junk, and you find out during the return period
you can bring it back. I've not had a problem returning things. Most
of the stuff I've bought from them has been fine for my limited
hobbyist type use.

I've had few HF products totally fail. Fortunately,
none of those were mission critical.

Yes, I'm a regular at HF. For some reason when
they ask my phone number, my mind goes blank. I
am sorry, I can't recall.

It's 354-532-5698

Write it down.