Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gorilla glue

As for gluing, I feel that nothing beats Gorilla glue.

However...

When it gets to half full, it always starts to solidify.

This occurs despite tight capping.

I know it is activated by humidity.

I started storing it in my fridge.

Anyone found a better answer ?

Thanks,
Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/30/2015 8:06 PM, Andy wrote:
As for gluing, I feel that nothing beats Gorilla glue.

For gluing _what_, wpecifically?

For wood in particular, it has been demonstrated in testing that yellow
carpenters glues are stronger and the Type II and III have sufficient
waterproof and resistance to handle virtually any application other than
submerged or totally wet. And, they don't foam...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 8:06:36 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
As for gluing, I feel that nothing beats Gorilla glue.

However...

When it gets to half full, it always starts to solidify.

This occurs despite tight capping.

I know it is activated by humidity.

I started storing it in my fridge.

Anyone found a better answer ?

Thanks,
Andy

Why do you have Gorilla glue? Do you have broken gorillas laying around? O_o

[8~{} Uncle Gorilla Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

I had poor performance with gorilla, especially doing the instructions of
wetting, and foaming. The foamed connection had poor strength.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/01/2015 12:32 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 8:06:36 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
As for gluing, I feel that nothing beats Gorilla glue.

However...

When it gets to half full, it always starts to solidify.

This occurs despite tight capping.

I know it is activated by humidity.

I started storing it in my fridge.

Anyone found a better answer ?

Thanks,
Andy

Why do you have Gorilla glue? Do you have broken gorillas laying around? O_o

[8~{} Uncle Lame Monster

What? Are you like in the third grade?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 3:41:46 AM UTC-5, Paranoico wrote:
On 07/01/2015 12:32 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 8:06:36 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
As for gluing, I feel that nothing beats Gorilla glue.

However...

When it gets to half full, it always starts to solidify.

This occurs despite tight capping.

I know it is activated by humidity.

I started storing it in my fridge.

Anyone found a better answer ?

Thanks,
Andy

Why do you have Gorilla glue? Do you have broken gorillas laying around? O_o

[8~{} Uncle Gorilla Monster

What? Are you like in the third grade?

I'm smarter than you are you poopy head. ^_^

{8~{} Uncle Smart Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/30/2015 9:06 PM, Andy wrote:
As for gluing, I feel that nothing beats Gorilla glue.

However...
When it gets to half full, it always starts to solidify.
This occurs despite tight capping.
I know it is activated by humidity.
I started storing it in my fridge.
Anyone found a better answer ?

Thanks,
Andy

An old guy at the hardware store suggested I squeeze
the bottle to exclude air, before tightly capping.
Not sure that makes any difference. I always buy
the smallest bottle of GG, cause I hate throwing
away rock hard larger bottles.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/1/2015 5:22 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 3:41:46 AM UTC-5, Paranoico wrote:
Why do you have Gorilla glue? Do you have broken gorillas laying around? O_o

[8~{} Uncle Gorilla Monster

What? Are you like in the third grade?

I'm smarter than you are you poopy head. ^_^

{8~{} Uncle Smart Monster

Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent
life down here.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/30/2015 9:06 PM, Andy wrote:
As for gluing, I feel that nothing beats Gorilla glue.

However...

When it gets to half full, it always starts to solidify.

This occurs despite tight capping.

I know it is activated by humidity.

I started storing it in my fridge.

Anyone found a better answer ?

Thanks,
Andy

Gorilla glue is an isocyanate and cures by reaction with water.

You have to store in a dry place and not keep cap off for any length of
time.

Unfortunately, and the company should know better, it is sold in a
polyethylene bottle. Polyethylene is one of the worst polymers for gas
penetration. Think of a rubber balloon vs an aluminum coated Mylar
balloon. The rubber one will deflate in a day and the coated one will
last weeks longer. It is that way with air and water. There is a way
to make a polyethylene bottle with a copolymer layer that is a thousand
times less permeable than polyethylene. I see them used in food packaging.

I've seen small metalized packages of Gorilla glue for single use which
should last much longer.

I prefer those syringes of two part epoxy. They will last for years
after opening if kept capped.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank" "frank wrote:

Gorilla glue is an isocyanate and cures by reaction with water.

They make numerous types.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.slack,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

"Andy" wrote in message

Maid in Africa.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/1/2015 1:02 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Frank" "frank wrote:

Gorilla glue is an isocyanate and cures by reaction with water.

They make numerous types.

Polyurethane was the most prevalent, but they even have duct tape now too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 1 Jul 2015 07:56:08 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

dpb wrote:
On 06/30/2015 8:06 PM, Andy wrote:
As for gluing, I feel that nothing beats Gorilla glue.

For gluing _what_, wpecifically?

For wood in particular, it has been demonstrated in testing that yellow
carpenters glues are stronger and the Type II and III have sufficient
waterproof and resistance to handle virtually any application other than
submerged or totally wet. And, they don't foam...

--

I had poor performance with gorilla, especially doing the instructions of
wetting, and foaming. The foamed connection had poor strength.

Greg

I used some gorilla tape once and was very disappointed in it's
gripping power. Didn't seem any better then plain old duck tape.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 6:02:02 PM UTC-5, Ashton Crusher wrote:

I used some gorilla tape once and was very disappointed in it's
gripping power. Didn't seem any better then plain old duck tape.

Use new duct tape, works better! *L*o*L*
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank" "frank wrote:

Gorilla glue is an isocyanate and cures by reaction with water.

They make numerous types.

Polyurethane was the most prevalent, but they even have duct tape now too.

Right. Polyurethane was original material and now they add their name
to other materials. Polyurethane probably has the shortest shelf life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/1/15 8:27 AM, Frank wrote:
On 6/30/2015 9:06 PM, Andy wrote:
[...]

My first bottle hardened starting at the tip. The next time I needed
it, I was able to get to the liquid using a drill. My second bottle had
a better cap. I think it hardened at the tip first.

Subsequently, I bought a tube of moisture-cured polyurethane glue in a
metal tube. The second time, I needed vise grips to unscrew the cap. I
cleaned the threads and applied white grease, both to keep the cap from
sticking and to keep air, carrying moisture, from migrating in and out.
With the grease, the glue stayed good until I squeezed the last bit out,
months later.

If I buy any more gorilla glue, I'll grease the threads. If that doesn't
work, I'll grease the whole darned bottle. At least I won't get glue
stuck to my fingers that way!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 Jul 2015 08:27:38 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

Gorilla glue is an isocyanate and cures by reaction with water.

Isn't that the same as Super Glue?
I have never found much use for Super Glue. It dont work on porous
materials (wood) or plastics. About the only thing it worked in was a
plate, and managed to glue my fingers together real well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 Jul 2015 16:01:56 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

I used some gorilla tape once and was very disappointed in it's
gripping power. Didn't seem any better then plain old duck tape.

I found the same thing. If you ask me, it's just duct tape of a
different color.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/1/2015 8:03 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
An old guy at the hardware store suggested I squeeze
the bottle to exclude air, before tightly capping.
Not sure that makes any difference. I always buy
the smallest bottle of GG, cause I hate throwing
away rock hard larger bottles.

-
.
.

I had a brand new, never opened bottle of
Gorilla Glue on the shelf. My backup for
when the one I was using hardened.

Well, it did. And so I got the backup. It is
also rock hard. I'd tucked the reciept in
with the box, and it was from 2009. I doubt
I'll get much sympathy from the folks at
Harbor Freight.

-
..
Christopher A. Young