Posted to alt.home.repair

Default If a fly gets in the house...

Now that summer is here some of us may be faced with a fly getting into
the house from time to time.

After wasting a lot of time trying to chase one down to swat it...

I realized they are photo-tropic creatures and they will typically go
back to the place where they came in within a few minutes.

What I do now is simply give them a few minutes and most of the time
they will return to the door where they entered...and I just open it an
let them out.

If it's evening and there are lights on in the house...turn them off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 29, 2015 at 7:14:27 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
Now that summer is here some of us may be faced with a fly getting into
the house from time to time.

After wasting a lot of time trying to chase one down to swat it...

I realized they are photo-tropic creatures and they will typically go
back to the place where they came in within a few minutes.

What I do now is simply give them a few minutes and most of the time
they will return to the door where they entered...and I just open it an
let them out.

If it's evening and there are lights on in the house...turn them off.

Good going! I'm a founding member of PETI, People for the Ethical Treatment of Insects. Insects live here too and the slaughter of the poor little insects worldwide is absolutely disgusting. 8-(

Have you hugged a bug today?

[8~{} Uncle Bug Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-29, philo wrote:

Now that summer is here some of us may be faced with a fly getting into
the house from time to time.

Bug-A-Salt

http://bugasalt.com/

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
Now that summer is here some of us may be faced with a fly getting
into the house from time to time.

After wasting a lot of time trying to chase one down to swat it...

I realized they are photo-tropic creatures and they will typically go
back to the place where they came in within a few minutes.

What I do now is simply give them a few minutes and most of the time
they will return to the door where they entered...and I just open it
an let them out.

If it's evening and there are lights on in the house...turn them off.

Then open the door, and turn on the porch light. Very effective.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/29/2015 07:25 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I don't consider myself an insect humanitarian,
it was simply the easiest and least messy way to go

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-29, philo wrote:

Now that summer is here some of us may be faced with a fly getting into
the house from time to time.

Bug-A-Salt

http://bugasalt.com/

nb

Probably not a good idea to use in the house
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/29/2015 11:31 AM, Bob F wrote:
philo wrote:
Now that summer is here some of us may be faced with a fly getting
into the house from time to time.

After wasting a lot of time trying to chase one down to swat it...

I realized they are photo-tropic creatures and they will typically go
back to the place where they came in within a few minutes.

What I do now is simply give them a few minutes and most of the time
they will return to the door where they entered...and I just open it
an let them out.

If it's evening and there are lights on in the house...turn them off.

Then open the door, and turn on the porch light. Very effective.

For sure that will work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 29, 2015 at 2:34:55 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
[...]

Umm, wouldn't that be "Insectarian"? I've used a shop vac to get flies and all kinds of insects, I have even used a vacuum cleaner to get fleas off of Dogma, my barking ankle biter. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Bug Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/30/2015 02:50 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I don't consider myself an insect humanitarian,
it was simply the easiest and least messy way to go

Umm, wouldn't that be "Insectarian"? I've used a shop vac to get flies and all kinds of insects, I have even used a vacuum cleaner to get fleas off of Dogma, my barking ankle biter. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Bug Monster

Yes, I suppose "insectartian" would be better

and yes a shop vac works pretty well if you have a lot of them.

I've even used it for hornets in the attic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-29, philo wrote:

Now that summer is here some of us may be faced with a fly getting
into
the house from time to time.

Bug-A-Salt

http://bugasalt.com/

nb

Probably not a good idea to use in the house

It's a tiny pinch of salt. If you're a halfway decent shot it will be
barely detectable. Of course, the more you shoot, the more likely you
will end up needing to sweep/vacuum up some salt.

I've got one. I practice my shooting skills on flies outside on the
patio when I'm bored.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/30/2015 8:29 AM, philo wrote:
On 06/30/2015 02:50 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I don't consider myself an insect humanitarian,
it was simply the easiest and least messy way to go

Umm, wouldn't that be "Insectarian"? I've used a shop vac to get flies
and all kinds of insects, I have even used a vacuum cleaner to get
fleas off of Dogma, my barking ankle biter. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Bug Monster

Yes, I suppose "insectartian" would be better

and yes a shop vac works pretty well if you have a lot of them.

I've even used it for hornets in the attic.

I can't quote the source, but someone suggested a
shop vac for dealing with boring wasps or hornets.
Put the end of the hose several inches from the
nest opening, and after a while they will all
end up in the bag. What you do with a shop vac full
of wasps, I'm less certain.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 09:15:53 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:
end up in the bag. What you do with a shop vac full
of wasps, I'm less certain.

Maybe gas them all with some wasp spray? I was wondering the same
thing.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-30, Muggles wrote:

Maybe gas them all with some wasp spray? I was wondering the same
thing.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Raid-1-5-oz-Deep-Reach-Insect-Foggers-3-Pack-81595/100195834

I used these against a several-seasons-large wasp nest in one of my
late mother's storage sheds. Took two yrs and 5 foggers, but they're
completely gone, now, and the local wasp population has been reduced
by 95%. (still haven't found the physical nest)

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 Jun 2015 14:21:48 GMT, notbob wrote:
Maybe gas them all with some wasp spray? I was
wondering the same thing.

I used these against a several-seasons-large wasp
nest in one of my late mother's storage sheds. Took
two yrs and 5 foggers, but they're completely gone,
now, and the local wasp population has been
reduced by 95%. (still haven't found the physical
nest)

If any insect came straight from hell I'd swear it was the wasp and
all its relatives that can sting more than once.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
end up in the bag. What you do with a shop vac full
of wasps, I'm less certain.

Maybe gas them all with some wasp spray? I was wondering the same thing.

Two or three years ago, my church had some wasps
that dripped off every type of spray I could find.

I was thinking more like non flammable carb cleaner
spray, or auto exhaust.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 10:41:59 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:
Two or three years ago, my church had some wasps
that dripped off every type of spray I could find.
I was thinking more like non flammable carb cleaner
spray, or auto exhaust.

Can't they just crawl out the tube that sucked them in? Kill ASAP,
I'm thinking!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 29, 2015 at 8:14:27 AM UTC-4, philo wrote:
Now that summer is here some of us may be faced with a fly getting into
the house from time to time.

After wasting a lot of time trying to chase one down to swat it...

Waste no time swatting. Spray it with Windex. Knock 'em down and clean up in one shot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-30, Muggles wrote:

If any insect came straight from hell I'd swear it was the wasp and
all its relatives that can sting more than once.

Agree!

I was almost stung to death by wasps, as wee tyke. Needless to say,
they freak me out, jes a bit. It could be worse. I could live in Japan:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_giant_hornet

I'd toss my bug-a-salt and Raid sprays and cut straight to a 12ga
shotgun w/ no. 8 shot!

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 Jun 2015 19:29:57 GMT, notbob wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_giant_hornet
I'd toss my bug-a-salt and Raid sprays and cut
straight to a 12ga shotgun w/ no. 8 shot!

I just watched a YouTube video where 30 of those hornets killed
30,000 honey bees! Bugs from hell!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

I use soapy water in a spray bottle.

I have yet to find the wasp or bee it doesn't knock down instantly, much faster than Raid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
\ I've even used it for hornets in the attic.

I can't quote the source, but someone suggested a
shop vac for dealing with boring wasps or hornets.
Put the end of the hose several inches from the
nest opening, and after a while they will all
end up in the bag. What you do with a shop vac full
of wasps, I'm less certain.

A quick spritx of "flea bomb" as the motor winds down directly after turning the
vac off does the job nicely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 12:53:01 AM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
\ I've even used it for hornets in the attic.

I can't quote the source, but someone suggested a
shop vac for dealing with boring wasps or hornets.
Put the end of the hose several inches from the
nest opening, and after a while they will all
end up in the bag. What you do with a shop vac full
of wasps, I'm less certain.

A quick spritx of "flea bomb" as the motor winds down directly after turning the
vac off does the job nicely.

I've vacuumed up a bit of Sevin Dust powder into the vacuum cleaner to kill all insects sucked into the machine. It even seemed to kill the fleas I vacuumed off Dogma "the barking ankle biter". ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Bug Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Uncle Monster" wrote in message
On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 12:53:01 AM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
I've vacuumed up a bit of Sevin Dust powder into the vacuum cleaner to
kill all insects sucked into the machine. It even seemed to kill the fleas
I vacuumed off Dogma "the barking ankle biter". ^_^

Years ago I looked at a box of flee powder and it was a certain percentage
of Sevin. That was the only active part of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
\ I've even used it for hornets in the attic.

I can't quote the source, but someone suggested a
shop vac for dealing with boring wasps or hornets.
Put the end of the hose several inches from the
nest opening, and after a while they will all
end up in the bag. What you do with a shop vac full
of wasps, I'm less certain.

A quick spritx of "flea bomb" as the motor winds down directly after
turning the vac off does the job nicely.

I've vacuumed up a bit of Sevin Dust powder into the vacuum cleaner
to kill all insects sucked into the machine. It even seemed to kill
the fleas I vacuumed off Dogma "the barking ankle biter". ^_^

The point of spraying into the vac hose AFTER turning it off but while still
winding down is to eliminate the rist of the motor sparking an explosion.
Depends on what you spray in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
\ I've even used it for hornets in the attic.

I can't quote the source, but someone suggested a
shop vac for dealing with boring wasps or hornets.
Put the end of the hose several inches from the
nest opening, and after a while they will all
end up in the bag. What you do with a shop vac full
of wasps, I'm less certain.

A quick spritx of "flea bomb" as the motor winds down directly after
turning the vac off does the job nicely.

I've vacuumed up a bit of Sevin Dust powder into the vacuum cleaner
to kill all insects sucked into the machine. It even seemed to kill
the fleas I vacuumed off Dogma "the barking ankle biter". ^_^

The point of spraying into the vac hose AFTER turning it off but while still
winding down is to eliminate the risk of the motor sparking an explosion.
Depends on what you spray in.

I'm sure that possible explosions are considered when designing a vacuum cleaner since dust is one of the most explosive things around. Take a handful of finely powered house dust, set a burning propane torch down in an open area outdoors then throw or use a blast of air to send a dust cloud in the direction of the torch. I will ignite into a ball of flame. I've sprayed bug spray into the hose of a running vacuum cleaner before and I'm still on this planet even though most people think I'm from another. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPIZ5Movuiw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bp9hGxPRlc

Oh yea, don't use a wet/dry shop vac to cleanup a gasoline spill. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Exploding Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/30/2015 10:39 AM, Thomas wrote:
On Monday, June 29, 2015 at 8:14:27 AM UTC-4, philo wrote:
Now that summer is here some of us may be faced with a fly getting into
the house from time to time.

After wasting a lot of time trying to chase one down to swat it...

Waste no time swatting. Spray it with Windex. Knock 'em down and clean up in one shot.

When my wife was a kid, she and her sisters use to shoot them
down with hair spray. I think that is kind of cheating, don't
you?