Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT?: Connecting a OTA antenna with internet

I took the plunge and cut the cable cord which will be official on
Tuesday when they remove equipment and do the initial downgrade to
internet only. My intent is to add an OTA antenna but I want to avoid
running new cable and tap into the current cables used by the provider.

I understand I can use a diplexer to unsure proper reception, though
gathering info, one set up indicates using two diplexers whereas the OTA
signal and cable signal are entering with the single cable exiting to
the other diplexer's single input then out the dual exits. Since the
original cable uses one entrance to my home, I assumed I can simply use
one diplexer (OTA and Cable in) where the single exit would then
continue on the one run into my home's original set up for all TVs.

Anyone with experience can confirm this set up and/or help me determine
the proper set up needed to accomplish my goal?

Thank you
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 20:59:29 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

[...]

I don't know what a diplexer is or why you need one, but what I used to
have was a cable box in the bedroom** , and cables I installed mystelf
to all the other rooms (String one: attic, bathroom, office/bedroom.
String two: living room, basement workshop, laundry room, kitchen.)

When I got rid of cable, and used antenna only I put in a VCR in place
of the cable box and when they went digital, I put in a DVDR in parallel
with the VCR. I used to use just a 6 foot wire for an antenna, but
when I wanted to also get the stations 45 or 50 miles away, I put a
full-size antenna in the attic with an antenna amp.

What probably relates to you is that I can only go two steps without
putting in a signal amplifer. (This is unrelated to the antenna amp.)
Otherwise the signal isn't strong enough to give a picture. I know
because I added one tv at a time and could tell when I had too many
splitters. This might be different for you since I'm using analog
TVs, but I wouldn't count on it. When you find out, let us know.

So for string one one amp is in the closet, even before the signal gets
to the attic. And for string two, the amp is after the living room on
the basement floor. I can't remember if it is before or after the
workshop tv, but it's before the laundry room and kitchen.

The amps have been running for over 30 years with no maintenance. I
forget the brand. It's a name brand for signal amps, but it's too dusty
down there to go look. They have a coaxial input, and one has one
coaxial output, the other has two.

** (and one in the basement iirc, but that's irrelevant now.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Depending on who did the wiring and how much they were willing to pay,
you might have home-runs to each of your tvs. You still may need an
additional amplifier, but then you could get just one, with the right
number of outputs. You can tell by looking where the cable box is/was.

So for string one one amp is in the closet, even before the signal gets
to the attic. And for string two, the amp is after the living room on
the basement floor. I can't remember if it is before or after the
workshop tv, but it's before the laundry room and kitchen.

The amps have been running for over 30 years with no maintenance. I
forget the brand. It's a name brand for signal amps, but it's too dusty
down there to go look. They have a coaxial input, and one has one
coaxial output, the other has two.

** (and one in the basement iirc, but that's irrelevant now.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Channel Master amps? 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Antenna Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 8:59:38 PM UTC-4, SBH wrote:
[...]

I think there is a big problem with what you're doing, one that
probably makes it illegal. As I understand it, you're proposing
to join an antenna with an active cable television line. That
potentially makes your antenna a transmitter, sending the cable
signal into the air. The cable company spends a lot of time and
money shielding everything to make sure their signals don't radiate.
There probably is a legal and sound way of doing it, but I doubt
the typical, cheap components will do it.

Also, have you tried to see if the local channels are still
there even after you terminate service? It's not unusual for
the local channels to still be there anyway. In which case,
you wouldn't need the outside antenna. And if you do what you're
proposing, I would think it could potentially interfere with
whatever signals the cable company does still have there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2015 9:10 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

I can assure you it's not illegal. The provider will apply a filter to
stop channel frequency. The task of a provider is to feed the home then
the task of the customer is to use that feed for the amount of devices
they have. I have every right to provide my own antenna and use the
current cables. There are no signals radiating through the air or
otherwise. Cable doesn't work that way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 16:50:02 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

[...]

As I said, I don't know what a diplexer is, but I assumed he was going
to dicsonnect the cable and only use the wires installed in his house.
I'm glad you added this paragraph. No, I didnt assume it. He said he
"cut the cable cord".

potentially makes your antenna a transmitter, sending the cable
signal into the air. The cable company spends a lot of time and
money shielding everything to make sure their signals don't radiate.
There probably is a legal and sound way of doing it, but I doubt
the typical, cheap components will do it.

Also, have you tried to see if the local channels are still
there even after you terminate service? It's not unusual for
the local channels to still be there anyway. In which case,
you wouldn't need the outside antenna. And if you do what you're
proposing, I would think it could potentially interfere with
whatever signals the cable company does still have there.

I can assure you it's not illegal. The provider will apply a filter to
stop channel frequency. The task of a provider is to feed the home

Of those who subscribe.

then the task of the customer is to use that feed for the amount of devices
they have.

If they are a subscriber. You said you cut the cable cord.

Is trader right about you and you're all wet?

I have every right to provide my own antenna and use the
current cables. There are no signals radiating through the air or
otherwise. Cable doesn't work that way.

Or was I right about your plans but you're going out of your way not to
say that to Trader? If I were right, you could have answered him in
one line, but instead you go on about filters and tasks of provider etc.
We're not going to have another difficult, obstinate poster, are we? I
hope not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Cutting the cord is a figure of speech for ridding of cable TV. I'm not
actually "cutting" it. I'm surprised you haven't heard the term.

A diplexer is similar to a splitter except it allows the signal to go in
or out any input. It's main purpose is to allow two signal sources to
enter into one line as well as stabilize those signals to avoid them
counteracting with each other.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

In or out any input? Nice. So now you're transmitting the cable
signal out over the airwaves. Illegal and dumb.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sure I've heard the term, but in this case I thought you should mean it
literally as well.

A diplexer is similar to a splitter except it allows the signal to go in
or out any input. It's main purpose is to allow two signal sources to
enter into one line as well as stabilize those signals to avoid them
counteracting with each other.

Interesting. I'll keep my eyese open for that.

I'm happy now. I'll leave Trader to fight his own battles. I think he
likes written combat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 22, 2015 at 4:50:07 PM UTC-4, SBH wrote:
[...]

Really, you have a cite for that? That you can hook an
antenna up to a cable line?

The provider will apply a filter to
stop channel frequency.

Baloney. They did that 50 years ago. Typically today
to cut off your service, they do it remotely, via the box.
And here, even if they do, the local channels are still there.

The task of a provider is to feed the home then
the task of the customer is to use that feed for the amount of devices
they have. I have every right to provide my own antenna and use the
current cables. There are no signals radiating through the air or
otherwise. Cable doesn't work that way.

You clearly are in way over your head. Sure, you have the right
to use your own antenna and the current cable. What you don't have
the right to do is connect the cable to an antenna and become a
transmitter. There is a big difference. Capiche?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2015 7:41 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Then you may want to call my provider and tell them that. After all, it
is they who provided me with the info and told me the tech will confirm
where he will apply the filter and ensure a proper set up along with my
own modem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 22, 2015 at 7:45:50 PM UTC-4, SBH wrote:
[...]

Try calling the FCC and asking them if connecting an antenna to
the cable system is OK, see how that goes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message

Baloney. They did that 50 years ago. Typically today
to cut off your service, they do it remotely, via the box.
And here, even if they do, the local channels are still there.

The local cable company here is going to get around that now. They are
going totally digital and even if you have a digital TV you will still have
to have their special small box on every tv now. Free for a year, then a
bout a $ 3 charge per TV per month.
The modem for cable internet was free up to about a year ago. They started
chargeing $ 4 now they are going to $8 per month. You can buy your own, so
that is what I did at the first charge. If I can buy one new for $ 20 they
must be making a killing on them at $ 8 per month.

I did cut them off the TV and went with Direct TV for now. May switch back
when the 2 year contract with Direct is up. Probably not as for now Direct
has much more that we watch. If my wife was able to work the computer stuff
beter, I would just goto Hulu or Netflix, but I have to keep it simple for
her.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/22/2015 09:50 PM, Meanie wrote:
[...]

Confuscious say he who attach antenna to active cable tv system soon have service flagged and disconnected.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Uncle Monster" wrote in message
[...]

Back in the 80's I met a fellow who was working for one of the cable
companies serving the Birmingham area. He was involved in an audit of the
cable system and told me that they found ten thousand illegal hookups. If
they spotted a service truck belonging to a rival cable company and it was
parked in the driveway of one of the employees of that company who happened
to live in their service area, every home around the guy would have an
illegal hookup. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Cable Monster

----

at first they didn't mind so much - they were busy with legal hook ups, and
this was like a "free trial subscription". Then they turned most of those
free trials into paying customers. I doubt they would have gotten as many
paying customers otherwise.

ditto re satellite TV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/2015 4:22 AM, R. P. McMurphy wrote:
[...]

I'm willing to bet you Confucius is wrong.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/2015 10:49 AM, Meanie wrote:
On 6/23/2015 4:22 AM, R. P. McMurphy wrote:

Confuscious say he who attach antenna to active cable tv system soon
have service flagged and disconnected.

I'm willing to bet you Confucius is wrong.

Go ahead, you'll lose. Creating an ingress path that puts noise on Comcast's coax absolutely will get you booted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Connecting a OTA antenna with internet

"Meanie" wrote in message
[...]

If you are getting rid of cable and only using OTA antenna, why do you need
a diplexer?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"taxed and spent" wrote in message

"Meanie" wrote in message
[...]

never mind . . "internet only". I understood that two days ago, but not
today . . .

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Meanie" wrote in message
[...]

Need diplexer today? LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Meanie" wrote in message
[...]

maybe tomorrow! or even numbered days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/23/2015 08:59 PM, taxed and spent wrote:

[snip]

maybe tomorrow! or even numbered days.

Except Tuesdays, when the logic is reversed.

In months with an 'X' in then, your diplexer will explode (but not on
Tuesday).

BTW, So you thought no months have X in them? You forgot about IX, X,
XI, and XII with the bathroom lions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I took the plunge and cut the cable cord which will be official on
Tuesday when they remove equipment and do the initial downgrade to
internet only. My intent is to add an OTA antenna but I want to avoid
running new cable and tap into the current cables used by the provider.
I understand I can use a diplexer to unsure proper reception, though
gathering info, one set up indicates using two diplexers whereas the OTA
signal and cable signal are entering with the single cable exiting to
the other diplexer's single input then out the dual exits. Since the
original cable uses one entrance to my home, I assumed I can simply use
one diplexer (OTA and Cable in) where the single exit would then
continue on the one run into my home's original set up for all TVs.

I don't know what the legal issues are regarding connecting a OTA signal to
the cable TV line, but in practical terms you'll end up degrading both
signals.

I have Comcast cable with my own purchased modem. Despite having Comcast
check my signal strength twice, I used to have a lot of issues with the
internet connection when the cable was also split to my TV's. Once I
dropped cable TV and ran a single connection to the cable modem, my signal
issues went away.

If you're no longer getting cable TV, I highly recommend running a direct
connection to your cable modem.

Then you can connect your OTA antenna to the old TV cables if you wish
(once they're disconnected from the cable company).

Your internet connection will be more stable and you'll get better TV
reception.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Meanie" wrote in message
[...]

This will not work. Cable internet uses the same frequency range as TV
signals, they just grab an unused TV freq and use it for data. So, there is
not a diplexer that will have one port tuned to the internet freq and
another port tuned to all the rest of the TV freqs.

You are thinking of satellite TV diplexers, where the satellite TV freqs are
above the OTA TV freqs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 5:48:00 AM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:
"Meanie" wrote in message
[...]

20 or 30 years ago i found out my neighbor must of done something similiar to the OPs idea. before the internet ......

anyhow one day my neighbor put up a new antenna, and got cable too,

shortly after this i found i could watch cable from my one tv. i even mentioned it to him, he didnt appear to care.

the quality wasnt perfect, but it was certinally watchable. then one day it ended when the neighbor moved

i missed cable so much i had it installed......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 8:28:47 AM UTC-5, G. Morgan wrote:
Meanie wrote:

[...]

Forget that whole mess. Make the "service drop" (coax out to street)
home-run to your modem, and ONLY the modem. Wherever the wall plate
connections go (attic, basement, etc...) run a new coax from OTA antenna
to a splitter for TVs there.

Your TVs are probably using WIFI for the IPTV stuff (Netflix, Hulu,
etc..), if not drop an Ethernet cable there. You probably have that
part planned if you already "cut the cord".

You can't tie an OTA antenna to the cable companies' side of the
demarcation. No, you can't inject signal/noise on a live CATV wire!
Don't do that please. You'll get a visit from a cable technician rather
quickly if you do mess with their system. It is very finely tuned and
they (cable plant) takes extraordinary measures to prevent leakage. Many
trucks are equipped with "sniffers" that will log the location of leaks.
Your setup would definitely trigger their sensors in trucks and at the
head-end. The first one is free, with a warning. They will shut off
your service if you leak again, they get fined by the FCC for any
leakage.

--

There is a product called "Cable Depends" that will contain the cable signal leakage. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Incontinent Monster