Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Trailer / RV toilet water feed leaking

I've been asked to fix a water leak, in a trailer. There
was water behind the toilet. I found that the white
flexible water line comes in from the side of the toilet,
curves around and ataches to the back of the toilet. The
leaky fitting is about a foot or less from the floor. The
tube comes from the side, and bends up to where it fits
into the toilet.

I'm not sure how many PSI, but the trailer camp has a LOT
of pressure. Open the faucet in the bathroom sink, and get
a belly shower.

Some kind of a nut at the end of the tubing where it meets
the toilet. Perhaps a compression fitting. i reached around
and tightened the nut. Then towel up the water, and can't
find any more leaking.

Two days later, get called back for the same toilet leaking
around back.

What to do now? I've considered some teflon tape, and
considered take that all apart and dope it up good with
Rectorseal #5. What has worked, for you?

Thanks, in advance.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Permatex RTV
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 8:26:40 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Given the cost of the parts versus the cost of repeat trips,
I'd put in a new toilet fill assembly and a new supply line.
Probably looking at what, less than $15 in parts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2015 8:54 AM, trader_4 wrote:
Given the cost of the parts versus the cost of repeat trips,
I'd put in a new toilet fill assembly and a new supply line.
Probably looking at what, less than $15 in parts?

Fill assembly? What? This RV / camper toilet
does not have a tank.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

Found exactly where the leak is occuring? Teflon tape is commonly used
on trailer fittings. Reusing compression fitting is not a good idea. And
owner better get a water pressure regulator to protect his plumbing. I
used to own 30 ft. fiver for camping when kids were young.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 09:13:43 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 6/21/2015 8:54 AM, trader_4 wrote:
Given the cost of the parts versus the cost of repeat trips,
I'd put in a new toilet fill assembly and a new supply line.
Probably looking at what, less than $15 in parts?

Fill assembly? What? This RV / camper toilet
does not have a tank.

Okay. Now you have to fix the water leak.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 9:13:44 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/21/2015 8:54 AM, trader_4 wrote:
Given the cost of the parts versus the cost of repeat trips,
I'd put in a new toilet fill assembly and a new supply line.
Probably looking at what, less than $15 in parts?

Fill assembly? What? This RV / camper toilet
does not have a tank.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

First time you've said RV/camper. Previously you said trailer,
which could be a mobile home, even a double wide
and I assume many of them typically
have regular flush toilets. Given that it's not a regular flush
toilet, I would think that they use a variety of different types,
components, parts, etc. IDK how anyone here is going to know
what it is that you actually have there at the leak.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/21/2015 11:50 AM, trader_4 wrote:
First time you've said RV/camper. Previously you said trailer,
which could be a mobile home, even a double wide
and I assume many of them typically
have regular flush toilets.

Did you bother to read the subject line?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 2:22:23 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 06/21/2015 11:50 AM, trader_4 wrote:
First time you've said RV/camper. Previously you said trailer,
which could be a mobile home, even a double wide
and I assume many of them typically
have regular flush toilets.

Did you bother to read the subject line?

Yes, I read it, but once you're into reading the post
the title is no longer visible. You expect me to remember
every detail? In any case, I don't know that it matters.
Without knowing what he has besides a leaking RV toilet
water line, I doubt much help is going to be possible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 12:22:09 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Did you bother to read the subject line?

Yes, I read it, but once you're into reading the post
the title is no longer visible. You expect me to remember
every detail? In any case, I don't know that it matters.
Without knowing what he has besides a leaking RV toilet
water line, I doubt much help is going to be possible.

I've tried to say, stop the water line leak. Thinking the OP is that
smart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

I got a leak this summer. Seems the valve assembly might be leaking. I have
felt water at inlet connection, may be condensation. I may have to replace
Marine toilet, but they are not very expensive. I still have to deal with
obsolete grey plumbing. I have pressure own to 30 lbs. Unregulated, it's
pretty high. I only turn water on when at camp. On fitting last summer on
water heater fitting was leaking. Bad o ring, but that was a special one.
Ended up using a shark bite adaptor.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2015 11:33 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Found exactly where the leak is occuring?

CY: Behind the toilet. Hard to see back there, so unsure all the details.

Teflon tape is commonly used
on trailer fittings.

CY: Good idea, thanks.

Reusing compression fitting is not a good idea.

CY: I'm sure you are right.

And
owner better get a water pressure regulator to protect his plumbing.

CY: Others have mentioned regulator. I'll do that.

used to own 30 ft. fiver for camping when kids were young.

CY: Neat!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2015 1:21 AM, gregz wrote:
I got a leak this summer. Seems the valve assembly might be leaking. I have
felt water at inlet connection, may be condensation. I may have to replace
Marine toilet, but they are not very expensive. I still have to deal with
obsolete grey plumbing. I have pressure own to 30 lbs. Unregulated, it's
pretty high. I only turn water on when at camp. On fitting last summer on
water heater fitting was leaking. Bad o ring, but that was a special one.
Ended up using a shark bite adaptor.

Greg

I'm going back, and put on a regulator. Hope
that helps. Leave it for a day or two, see if
further attention is needed.

-
..
Christopher A. Young