Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pool pump leak

Is there anything i can put on the outside to seal this pvc pool pipe
leak? Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 18:44:01 +0000, Son of God
wrote:

Is there anything i can put on the outside to seal this pvc pool pipe
leak? Thanks

No, there is no "gunk" you can put on the outside to "glue" it.

Depending on how long the pipes are that go to that joint you can just
cut out a couple inches and replace with a double ended compression
repair fitting. I've fixed several pool pipes "issues" using them. No
problems after almost 10 years of use and dissembling and reassembly
for other work is easy.

Here's an example. You need to cut carefully, better to cut too small
a gap and test fit then to cut out too much cuz then your screwed.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Matco-Nor...oupling-400T08
Posted to alt.home.repair

Son of God writes:

Is there anything i can put on the outside to seal this pvc pool pipe
leak? Thanks

Probably, but it will be a hack job.

PVC work is super simple.
Fix it the right way, remove the bad pipe and replace it.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 3:21:45 PM UTC-4, net cop wrote:
Son of God writes:

Is there anything i can put on the outside to seal this pvc pool pipe
leak? Thanks

Probably, but it will be a hack job.

PVC work is super simple.
Fix it the right way, remove the bad pipe and replace it.

--
Dan Espen

+1

Obviously something was there that kept it sealed for
some period of time. IDK what that even is. The ends
of the pipes look perfect, butted up, not like it cracked.
So, somebody butted it up and put silicone around it?

Solution is to cut out on both sides of that mess, get
a new piece of PVC that bridges it, plus two PVC repair
couplings. Make sure they are repair couplings, not regular.
Regular ones have stops inside so they only go on half way.
With a repair coupling you can slide one all the way on
to each of the pipes, put in the bridge pipe, and slide
the couplings back over. Or alternatively, may be able to
do it easier by removing more of it back to fittings that
are there, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Son of God wrote:
Is there anything i can put on the outside to seal this pvc pool pipe
leak? Thanks

I cannot get the first image. The second looks wierd, like somone butted two
pipe ends together and gooped up the connection with something, so I can't
really attempt to give you a real answer.

But, for your information, I've had good results sealing leaky PVC fitting
joints by letting thom dry, then establishing a vacuum inside the pipes (a
vacuum cleaner can do this) and applying PVC cement to the joint where the leak
is. The vacuum draws the cement into the joint, and seals it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 4:41:15 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
Son of God wrote:
Is there anything i can put on the outside to seal this pvc pool pipe
leak? Thanks

I cannot get the first image. The second looks wierd, like somone butted two
pipe ends together and gooped up the connection with something, so I can't
really attempt to give you a real answer.

But, for your information, I've had good results sealing leaky PVC fitting
joints by letting thom dry, then establishing a vacuum inside the pipes (a
vacuum cleaner can do this) and applying PVC cement to the joint where the leak
is. The vacuum draws the cement into the joint, and seals it.

I've considered making a patch by cutting a longitudinal section out of a short length of PVC pipe, sanding the outer surface of the leaking pipe and inner section of the patch then gluing the patch over the crack then using cable ties squeeze it into place. I seriously considered doing this on one repair job but it was easy to replace the cracked pipe so I've never had a chance to try my theoretical patch. I wish someone would try it and post the results. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Pipe Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 6/19/2015 11:44 AM, Son of God wrote:
Is there anything i can put on the outside to seal this pvc pool pipe
leak? Thanks

See http://www.leisuretimeok.com/service/cracks.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Son of God wrote:
[...]

You would probably have to use a section of a straight coupling or repair
coupling to get the right curve, although I suppose you could heat it, then
clamp to get the right curve.

I've used heavy rubber tubing to join PVC for relatively low pressure systems
many times over the years, with stainless steel hose clamps to seal it. There
are also commercial pipe clamps (don't remember the name) with a stainless outer
shell that tightens like hose clamps. Either would require being able to cut the
pipe and move one end to get them on, so a normal coupling should do better for
a permanent repair.

I wouldn't be surprised if 20 or so wraps of heavy 2" plumbers tape and a couple
hose clamps would do the job on stationary pool plumbing.The roughness on the
OP's pipe would have to be removed/sanded off for any of these solutions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Son of God wrote:
[...]

When I was working as an electrician, me and the crew were laying 4 inch PVC electrical conduit in trenches for underground high voltage cable and we would use the exhaust from a two and a half ton truck's diesel engine to heat the ten foot lengths of PVC conduit so we could make large radius bends and offsets. We had a Greenlee electric oven for heating PVC conduit but it wasn't suited for use out in a muddy field. So using a heat gun to heat a short piece of the thinner schedule 40 PVC plumbing pipe should work well to make a patch fit the outer curvature of the same size pipe without any straps to force it to fit. Dang, I gotta to try some day. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Pipe Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:
When I was working as an electrician, me and the crew were laying 4
inch PVC electrical conduit in trenches for underground high voltage
cable and we would use the exhaust from a two and a half ton truck's
diesel engine to heat the ten foot lengths of PVC conduit so we could
make large radius bends and offsets. We had a Greenlee electric oven
for heating PVC conduit but it wasn't suited for use out in a muddy
field. So using a heat gun to heat a short piece of the thinner
schedule 40 PVC plumbing pipe should work well to make a patch fit
the outer curvature of the same size pipe without any straps to force
it to fit. Dang, I gotta to try some day. ^_^

I suspect you'd still want straps to strengthen the connection if any pressure
was involved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 20, 2015 at 8:46:20 AM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:
When I was working as an electrician, me and the crew were laying 4
inch PVC electrical conduit in trenches for underground high voltage
cable and we would use the exhaust from a two and a half ton truck's
diesel engine to heat the ten foot lengths of PVC conduit so we could
make large radius bends and offsets. We had a Greenlee electric oven
for heating PVC conduit but it wasn't suited for use out in a muddy
field. So using a heat gun to heat a short piece of the thinner
schedule 40 PVC plumbing pipe should work well to make a patch fit
the outer curvature of the same size pipe without any straps to force
it to fit. Dang, I gotta to try some day. ^_^

I suspect you'd still want straps to strengthen the connection if any pressure
was involved.

I suppose a few hose clamps would do the trick. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Clamp Monster