Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair,alt.autos.gm

Default Aerostar again

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message ...
Pulling to the right hard. Tire pressure OK. Lugs all tight. Nothing obviously loose underneath. Bushings look good. Any ideas what to check before I head to the mechanic?

I took it to 2 general mechanics I have used. First one is not set up for alignment but put it up and looked it over. The only think he saw was a possible leaking left ball joint. Took to another general mechanic - also not set up for alignment. (I thought both of them were...) He said nothing looked obviously wrong, brakes not binding, recommended an alignment.

Went to the tire place I use, did an alignment and this is the before and after....
Before alignment (all 3 should be the same photo)
http://i59.tinypic.com/rcmp84.gif
http://tinypic.com/r/rcmp84/8
http://oi59.tinypic.com/rcmp84.jpg

After alignment (all 4 should be the same)
http://i59.tinypic.com/r762wy.gif
http://tinypic.com/r/r762wy/8
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=r762wy&s=8#.VXpXSFJikk4
http://oi59.tinypic.com/r762wy.jpg

When I drove out, the car pulled just as much to the right as when I drove in. Turned around. Mechanic said the front right tire was were worn on the outside and was causing it to be pulled. Also had lubed it and said specifically that the ball joints and bushings were all fine.

I do need 2 new tires, but surprised that the pulling happened suddenly due to a worn tire....

So my question is..... is the report in these photos show it is was way out of alignment or just a little -- enough to cause the wear?

Thanks, felllers.

Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair,alt.autos.gm

Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney"
wrote in message
[...]

If it started suddenly I would suspect a damaged tire, either from
hitting a pothole or similar causing a belt failure in the tire. That
could cause a pull.

As for the numbers. The caster angles should match on that vehicle. When
they don't it can cause a pull. 1/2 a degree difference is enough to
cause issues and you have over that. With more on the right side.

--
Steve W.
Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair,alt.autos.gm

wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Steve. Looking at the caster, before alignment it was 3.0 left and 3.7 right. After alignment it was 2.9 left and 3.6 right. Does that mean alignment needs to be done again?

The right front tow was -.15 before alignment and +0.03 after. That makes sense to me because the front right tire was worn quite a bit on the outside.

The rear toe before align was -.13 left and -.07 right. After align was -.24 left and +0.17 right. Is that also something to have corrected?

Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair,alt.autos.gm

wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like your mechanic un-aligned it . Both sides ahould be very close
to each other , I'd be demanding they redo it and do it right or give me
back my money . I don't know about where you live , but here all 3 dealers
have the proper equipment , and none charges all that much - compared to
tires at $150 each .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair,alt.autos.gm

Snuffy,

Swap front with rear tires to eliminate the "wear" hypothesis.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair,alt.autos.gm

wrote in message
[...]

Specs I have for the Aerostar

Front Toe Total - Min. 0 Max. .12
Front Toe L & R - Min. 0 Max. .06
Camber L & R - Min. -.5 Max .5
Caster L & R - Min. 3.8 Max 5.8

Rear shows 0 on all numbers.

--
Steve W.
Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair,alt.autos.gm

"David L. Martel" wrote in news:mlejep$phd$1@dont-
email.me:

Snuffy,

Swap front with rear tires to eliminate the "wear" hypothesis.

Dave M.

swap the front 2 side to side and if the pull switches sides, its the
tires. pretty simple. KB
Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair,alt.autos.gm

wrote in message
[...]

I'd say find a real mechanic, and a real alignment man. The caster
should be between 2.5 and 4.5 degrees - and within 1/4 degree right to
left. The camber should be between +.8 and -.8 degrees, and within
1/4 degree between sides.

The clown that did your "alignment" is a hack.

If the tire is the cause of the pull it will pull the other way if you
switch tires right to left, and the pull will dissapear if you switch
front to back (the first thing to do when diagnosing a pull, by the
way)

Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair,alt.autos.gm

wrote in message
[...]

It needs to be done, period. He didn't accomplish anything as far as
the caster is concerned.

The right front tow was -.15 before alignment and +0.03 after. That makes sense to me because the front right tire was worn quite a bit on the outside

.. He made an iprovement on the front tow

The rear toe before align was -.13 left and -.07 right. After align was -.24 left and +0.17 right. Is that also something to have corrected?

You have a solid axle. There is no way to adjust rear toe, but the
truck is "dog-tracking". The aerostar has a 4 link coil suspension - a
bent component or worn bushing can allow the axle to shift back on one
side or forward on the other - causing the "dog track" If there is a
significant amount of actual toe in or toe out on a solid axle you
have a bent differential housing or axle tube.

Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair,alt.autos.gm

Default Aerostar again - 2001 Savana jul 2003 -1cr.JPG (0/1)

I had a problem similiar with a GMC Savana. Did alignments, replace
steering box, swap wheels, all on warranty, all to no success.

My daughter borrowed it for a couple of snowy days, lost control and
head on into a boulder.

The steering wheel was sideways, the hood in bungy cords, but it
drove fine and no more pulling to the left.

After the $9000 repair, is still running straight. Go figure.

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 17:58:14 +0000 (UTC), Kevin Bottorff
wrote:

"David L. Martel" wrote in news:mlejep$phd$1@dont-
email.me:

Snuffy,

Swap front with rear tires to eliminate the "wear" hypothesis.

Dave M.

swap the front 2 side to side and if the pull switches sides, its the
tires. pretty simple. KB

Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair,alt.autos.gm

Default Aerostar again - 2001 Savana jul 2003 -1cr.JPG (1/1)

On 6/18/2015 1:11 AM, wrote:

How did we get a binary (picture) on three text
only lists?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
..
www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair,alt.autos.gm

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...
On 6/18/2015 1:11 AM, wrote:

How did we get a binary (picture) on three text
only lists?

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.
www.lds.org

No binaries were posted on the newsgroups. Links given to photos:

Before alignment (all 3 should be the same photo)
http://i59.tinypic.com/rcmp84.gif
http://tinypic.com/r/rcmp84/8
http://oi59.tinypic.com/rcmp84.jpg

After alignment (all 4 should be the same)
http://i59.tinypic.com/r762wy.gif
http://tinypic.com/r/r762wy/8
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=r762wy&s=8#.VXpXSFJikk4
http://oi59.tinypic.com/r762wy.jpg

Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair,alt.autos.gm

wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Steve. Good specs - tighter than Ford or the tire dealer. Here's what I got from the Ford dealer. Looks like tire dealer needs to adjust the toe closer to mid-range

Toe Total - Min. -.2 Max. +.32
Toe: 0.06 plus/minus 0.26
Camber: +0.25 plus/minus 0.5
Caster: +4 plus/minus 2

Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair,alt.autos.gm

wrote in message
[...]

Mine are from my Hunter bench.

--
Steve W.
Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair,alt.autos.gm

On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 06:00:02 -0700, Evan Platt
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 11:49:58 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

No binaries were posted on the newsgroups. Links given to photos:

Yes, they were.

Most groups do not allow them and strip them out. None seen here.

Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair,alt.autos.gm

wrote:

No binaries were posted on the newsgroups. Links given to photos:

Yes, they were.

Show me a binary in AHR. Come back when you see you are not accurate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

No binaries were posted on the newsgroups. Links given to photos:

Yes, they were.

Show me a binary in AHR. Come back when you see you are not accurate.

Some servers do support binaries in text groups, but they tend not to
propagate.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair,alt.autos.gm

"Evan Platt" wrote in message ...

No binaries were posted on the newsgroups. Links given to photos:

Yes, they were.

Must have been from someone I blocked. Blocking is good.

Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair,alt.autos.gm

wrote:

No binaries were posted on the newsgroups. Links given to photos:

Yes, they were.

Show me a binary in AHR. Come back when you see you are not accurate.

I'm looking at it.

I provided you the message ID.

It shows on my server.

Not on mine. You must be special.
Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair,alt.autos.gm

wrote:

No binaries were posted on the newsgroups. Links given to photos:

Yes, they were.

Show me a binary in AHR. Come back when you see you are not accurate.

I'm looking at it.

I provided you the message ID.

It shows on my server.

Can you repost the offending posting -- not including the binary?

This link does not go to a posting:

Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair,alt.autos.gm

wrote:

No binaries were posted on the newsgroups. Links given to photos:

Yes, they were.

Show me a binary in AHR. Come back when you see you are not accurate.

I'm looking at it.

I provided you the message ID.

It shows on my server.

Can you repost the offending posting -- not including the binary?

This link does not go to a posting:

A URL to the photo is a better solution in AHR.
Posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.home.repair,alt.autos.gm

Default Aerostar again - 2001 Savana jul 2003 Crap out

Evan Platt posted for all of us...

wrote:

No binaries were posted on the newsgroups. Links given to photos:

Yes, they were.

Show me a binary in AHR. Come back when you see you are not accurate.

I'm looking at it.

I provided you the message ID.

It shows on my server.

With that attitude you are getting ZERO ZIP NADA out of me and probably most
of the others. Put on your big-man pants and post it to a binary group or
picture site like others are telling you.
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*