Posted to alt.home.repair

Default best wris****ch grease?

I've always preferred Timex because John Cameron Swayze proved they were
shockproof and waterproof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgsvnvf6UGA

I like the kind with a calendar because I sometimes I don't have a
marker to cross the days off my wall calendar. I like the kind with a
stopwatch to be sure my mower is up to speed and my toilet isn't clogged.

They don't hold up equally well. The one I bought in 2000 lasted until
2004. The one I bought in 2004 lasted until 2005. The one I bought in
2005, for $14, is still going strong.

However, I had a little trouble this year when it kept leaking. The
O-ring had expanded so it didn't stay in the groove when I screwed the
back down. I solve that by using plumber's grease instead of an O-ring.

Plumber's grease is hard to apply correctly because it's transparent and
colorless. What would be a better grease? The easiest method would be
to leave the cover a little loose, pump the watch full of grease until
it came out the crack, and tighten the cover. Where can I get a Zerk
fitting for a wris****ch?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 8:52:38 PM UTC-5, J Burns wrote:
[...]

I do believe the grease would stop the watch dead if it has a mechanical movement. You should really search The Web about how a mechanical clock movement works. I have syringes with needles that the sharp point is ground off of that I use to apply tiny amounts of oil or grease to whatever needs it. You might try silicone grease for your application. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Greasy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote:
[...]

Water proof is BIG words. Most likely water resistant. Water proof upto
what depth? My Casio G shock is said to be water proof down to 100
meters. Could never dive that deep to check it out. My other
watches(sort of high end ones) need regular check up at service center.
Part of check up is testing the water leak using pressured
water. And this watches stay on winder when not worn to keep it running
and prevent gumming or drying of lubricating oil. I watched my watch
maker using a little tiny pointed brush to oil watches. I thought O ring
and gasket is two different thing....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/6/15 10:53 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Water proof is BIG words. Most likely water resistant. Water proof upto
what depth? My Casio G shock is said to be water proof down to 100
meters. Could never dive that deep to check it out.

Mine says "water resistant 100 M."

I may have been 11 or 12 when I bought my first wrist watch. it said
waterproof. I returned it the day I bought it because it was wet inside
and stopped ticking.

I told the store guy I'd washed my hands with it on. He got mad. "You
shouldn't get a watch wet just because it says it's waterproof!"

Here's the IP code.
http://www.lakemartin.com/BoatingWaterproofSpecs.asp

Fenix headlamps seem to be IPX-6 or IPX-8. The X means they aren't
concerned with penetration by hands, fingers, wires, dust, or other
solids. If my calculations are right, the 6 means you you could take a
1/2" nozzle with water coming out at 300 km/hour and spray the light at
3 meters for half an hour without getting any water inside.

The 8 means it can be submerged indefinitely. Fenix says they test
their lights at 2 meters.

I wonder if I could get the fire department to test my watch!

My other
watches(sort of high end ones) need regular check up at service center.
Part of check up is testing the water leak using pressured
water. And this watches stay on winder when not worn to keep it running
and prevent gumming or drying of lubricating oil. I watched my watch
maker using a little tiny pointed brush to oil watches.I thought O ring
and gasket is two different thing....

I call it an O-ring if it's a circular loop with a round cross section.
You may be right. How can I tell the difference?
Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote:
[...]

I just know watch makers call it gasket... I have a good watch maker in
the neighborhood who is from Swiss, went to Longine watch maker school.
He can pretty well take care of all mechanical watches/clocks. I have
one Rolex Datejust I bought at Army PX in 'Nam for like 375.00. He says
this watch's movement is better than todays Rolex. Told it's worth 4G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/6/15 10:12 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I went electric in 1975 and never looked back. I'd turned up my nose at
LED watches because I'd need both hands free to check the time. When I
saw a Timex LCD, I bought it. A prudent consumer might have avoided an
electric watch with a stainless-steel band due to the obvious danger of
electrocution, but I liked to live dangerously.

It kept great time until the day I was riding my motorcycle in the rain,
wearing a fisherman's raincoat. It had tight elastic cuffs so sea water
and jellyfish wouldn't run down my arm when I reached up to pull a
salmon out of a seine. The cuff pushed the watch band way down on my
wrist, to a position where it broke when I bent my wrist to turn up the
throttle.

I notice it was gone an hour later. I rode back and found it. A car had
run right over it. That driver must have been drunk not to see it, and
he'd left the scene of an accident!

I would have loved to tell John Cameron Swayze about my Timex that
wouldn't even stand up to being run over by a car. There was no warning
about it in the instructions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/6/15 11:52 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I call it an O-ring if it's a circular loop with a round cross section.
You may be right. How can I tell the difference?

I just know watch makers call it gasket... I have a good watch maker in
the neighborhood who is from Swiss, went to Longine watch maker school.
He can pretty well take care of all mechanical watches/clocks. I have
one Rolex Datejust I bought at Army PX in 'Nam for like 375.00. He says
this watch's movement is better than todays Rolex. Told it's worth 4G.

In 1968, I kept telling a Swiss friend that I didn't think foreigners
should be allowed to attend American colleges. He laughed so hard that
he ended up getting me a Swiss watch from his grandmother, who imported
them. It was indeed a great watch. I was ashamed the day it quit
working. As usual, it was my fault.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/6/15 10:53 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Water proof is BIG words. Most likely water resistant. Water proof upto
what depth? My Casio G shock is said to be water proof down to 100 meters.

I had a Casio G shock, about 1995. it was supposed to take my pulse if I
put my finger on a certain spot. That didn't work very well.

I liked the watch, but I don't think it lasted long.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 21:52:33 -0400, J Burns wrote:

[...]

If you think you can put a nipple in the watch, you're looking for
trouble.

Just add some food coloring to the plumber's grease and you'll be fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.sheds

Default Mister Burns talks about "wris****ch grease"

"J Burns" wrote in message
[...]

I had the same LEAKY problem with my anus. As we get older sphincters don't
always close up tightly, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/07/2015 09:23 AM, Col. Edmund Burke wrote:

I had the same LEAKY problem with my anus. As we get older sphincters don't always close up tightly, etc.

One can wear a tampon in their ass and Depends or they can do some research about genetically modified foods and intestinal/bowel health.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 8:52:38 PM UTC-5, J Burns wrote:

Plumber's grease is hard to apply correctly because it's transparent and
colorless. What would be a better grease?

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-Technician...lectric+grease
Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote:
I've always preferred Timex because John Cameron Swayze proved they
were shockproof and waterproof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgsvnvf6UGA

A friend once told me about watching one of those timex-on-the-outboard-motor
ads on TV. He said the camera was directly above the tank at the end of the ad,
and you could see pieces of watches all over the bottom of the tank.

Have you tried contacting timex about getting a replacement gasket?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 9:46:12 AM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
J Burns wrote:
I've always preferred Timex because John Cameron Swayze proved they
were shockproof and waterproof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgsvnvf6UGA

A friend once told me about watching one of those timex-on-the-outboard-motor
ads on TV. He said the camera was directly above the tank at the end of the ad,
and you could see pieces of watches all over the bottom of the tank.

Have you tried contacting timex about getting a replacement gasket?

The Timex commercials were live...the 1st time this was attempted, the watch was thrown off! They were able to get a close-up on it, at the bottom of the tank, still ticking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote:
I've always preferred Timex because John Cameron Swayze proved they
were shockproof and waterproof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgsvnvf6UGA

A friend once told me about watching one of those timex-on-the-outboard-motor
ads on TV. He said the camera was directly above the tank at the end of the ad,
and you could see pieces of watches all over the bottom of the tank.

Have you tried contacting timex about getting a replacement gasket?

The Timex commercials were live...the 1st time this was attempted, the watch was thrown off! They were able to get a close-up on it, at the bottom of the tank, still ticking.

The one that made the biggest impression on me had a farmer planting row
crops by hand in the rain. Water and mud were all over his Timex. He
checked the time, and the announcer said, "When rain comes, it's a
blessing." I felt envious.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/7/15 10:25 AM, bob_villa wrote:
On Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 8:52:38 PM UTC-5, J Burns wrote:

Plumber's grease is hard to apply correctly because it's transparent and
colorless. What would be a better grease?

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-Technician...lectric+grease

Just what I need! I think I have some dielectric grease somewhere in my
junk, and it's a highly opaque white. Who needs pesky gaskets!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/7/15 2:23 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

I had an antique motorcycle. At one lube point, it had a little hole
instead of a Zerk fitting. I'd use a piece of inner tube as a sort of
washer. I'd lay it around the hole and press the nozzle of the grease
gun against it.

My mother's cousin knew what to do. He ground the threads on a Zerk
fitting to match the taper of the hole. If I had tapered bits, I could
drill a tapered hole in my watch case. Do they make "pencil-sharpeners"
for Zerks, to grind the threaded end to a desired taper?

Just add some food coloring to the plumber's grease and you'll be fine.

How about baby powder?
Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote:

I call it an O-ring if it's a circular loop with a round cross section.
You may be right. How can I tell the difference?

I just know watch makers call it gasket... I have a good watch maker in
the neighborhood who is from Swiss, went to Longine watch maker school.

We're all correct! The OED says an o-ring is a kind of gasket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote:
On 6/6/15 10:53 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Water proof is BIG words. Most likely water resistant. Water proof upto
what depth? My Casio G shock is said to be water proof down to 100
meters.

I had a Casio G shock, about 1995. it was supposed to take my pulse if I
put my finger on a certain spot. That didn't work very well.

I liked the watch, but I don't think it lasted long.

My daily wear is G shock which is solar powered, with 3 time signal
receivers. Any where in the world I go, I just tell it what city I
am in. Then it shows local time. Very accurate, light and taking shower
wearing it causes no problem. It has bunch of other features but I
don't use them all.