Posted to alt.home.repair

Default best wris****ch grease?

On Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 8:52:38 PM UTC-5, J Burns wrote:
I've always preferred Timex because John Cameron Swayze proved they were
shockproof and waterproof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgsvnvf6UGA

I like the kind with a calendar because I sometimes I don't have a
marker to cross the days off my wall calendar. I like the kind with a
stopwatch to be sure my mower is up to speed and my toilet isn't clogged.

They don't hold up equally well. The one I bought in 2000 lasted until
2004. The one I bought in 2004 lasted until 2005. The one I bought in
2005, for $14, is still going strong.

However, I had a little trouble this year when it kept leaking. The
O-ring had expanded so it didn't stay in the groove when I screwed the
back down. I solve that by using plumber's grease instead of an O-ring.

Plumber's grease is hard to apply correctly because it's transparent and
colorless. What would be a better grease? The easiest method would be
to leave the cover a little loose, pump the watch full of grease until
it came out the crack, and tighten the cover. Where can I get a Zerk
fitting for a wris****ch?

I do believe the grease would stop the watch dead if it has a mechanical movement. You should really search The Web about how a mechanical clock movement works. I have syringes with needles that the sharp point is ground off of that I use to apply tiny amounts of oil or grease to whatever needs it. You might try silicone grease for your application. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Greasy Monster