Posted to alt.home.repair

Default fiberglass tub sinks around drain

I know this has been asked before when using spray foam for bathtub support but hear me out

initial problem with tub was that it bowed in the center when in use and would pop back to place minutes after its use. first plumber opened an access hole and stuffed in shims and spray foam along sides fixing some how the issue. of course they did not check around the drain area before closing up the wall and taking off.

im assuming they did not fill the tub with water before applying shims and spray foam as it might have lifted the tub slightly causing the right side of the bath tub drain to sink making a bending noise each time some one steps around it. ive uploaded some videos to youtube of the bathtub noise and another video of the first fix.

first video; https://youtu.be/hFtYCOS_jpQ

second video; https://youtu.be/Fp91BO2O280

spraying additional spray foam around drain leading to tub drain, would that cause any issues with the drain? stepping on the area inside the tub you can notice the drain move slightly. need added support around that area.

any ideas?

thanks!

-R
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 May 2015 15:12:45 -0700 (PDT), Rafael Anaya
wrote:

I know this has been asked before when using spray foam for bathtub support but hear me out

*snip due to poor word formatting*

any ideas?

thanks!

-R

Sounds to me you have a really cheap tub, or else someone using it is
way overweight. If the drain flexes, you will eventually develop a leak
in the pipes.

Solutions are to either get a better tub, or go on a diet.
Or just live with it until something breaks and causes a flood, which
could lead to more damages to the house. I worked as a did plumber for
years and I never saw a tub flex like you explain, nor did I ever see a
tub with shims or spray foam under it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Apray in the foam and fill the tub to keep it from lifting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 May 2015 18:15:12 -0500, wrote:

*snip due to poor word formatting*

Snip due to idiocy, Home Guy from Canadiastain.

Give me some money and I'll show you picture of how expanding foam
stops a fiberglass tub from flexing. Pay me more to tell you how to do
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Rafael Anaya typed:
[...]

Excellent videos.

I don't personally know what type of filler is usually used to support
underneath a tub, but I guess that spray foam is one option that people use.

It also appears that your tub may be on a ground level or concrete floor so
you may not be able to access it from underneath.

But, given what you wrote and what the videos show, I think if it were me I
would open the wall up again and apply more of the same type of spray foam
under the drain area that was used around the sides. It seems like it just
needs a little more support in that area. I would try not to overdo it and
do it in stages so the foam doesn't lift the tub up or cause it to buckle up
in that area -- I would just do it in stages, a little at a time.

I also don't know whether it would be better to fill the tub with water
first or not. My inclination would be to fill the tub and then do the spray
foam with the tub full.

These are all guesses on my part but maybe others here will know better than
me what would work best.

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 May 2015 10:31:00 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

In ,
Rafael Anaya typed:
[...]

Three options I've seen. A mortar mix on the dry side and packed in,
Plaster of Paris and expanding foam. I use foam on mine - much
easier.

But, given what you wrote and what the videos show, I think if it were me I
would open the wall up again and apply more of the same type of spray foam
under the drain area that was used around the sides. It seems like it just
needs a little more support in that area. I would try not to overdo it and
do it in stages so the foam doesn't lift the tub up or cause it to buckle up
in that area -- I would just do it in stages, a little at a time.

I installed two metal access panel doors on the exterior stucco wall.
One is to replace / repair the motor on a "bubbly tub" and one for
access to the tub spout and drain. Always have easy access now,
without any demolition on the inside of the house.

I also don't know whether it would be better to fill the tub with water
first or not. My inclination would be to fill the tub and then do the spray
foam with the tub full.

Exactly. A tub filled with water does not allow the tub to heave as
the foam expands.

These are all guesses on my part but maybe others here will know better than
me what would work best.

Good luck.

Good guesses
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

That's the only safe way to do it. Don't want the foam jacking up the
tub Make sure you leave an escape rout for the expanding foam in case
you happen to slightly over-fill it.

These are all guesses on my part but maybe others here will know better than
me what would work best.

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 21, 2015 at 3:15:35 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
[...]

I've used plastic access panels that mount flush with a wall to get to wiring or plumbing. Of course the plastic panels don't rust and they're paintable. The panel snaps into its frame or is hinged and easy to open when needed. 8-)

http://www.homedepot.com/s/plastic%2...0panels?NCNI-5

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Acudor-Pr...1818/205708775

http://preview.tinyurl.com/n3vc6fk

[8~{} Uncle Access Monster

Sinks Richard[_12_] UK diy 19 May 25th 10 10:10 AM
two sinks? yawnmoth Home Repair 12 August 9th 08 01:51 AM
Will dishwasher drain if sink doesn't drain and garbage disposal is rusted in place. mm Home Repair 2 August 20th 06 03:08 AM
Toilet drain problems - found sandy substance build-up in drain budne1 Home Repair 2 August 10th 06 12:39 PM
Slow drain sinks Joseph Home Repair 5 January 23rd 04 02:07 AM