Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Taxi CB on my speaker (1975)

What happened when a taxi's CB could
be heard on my powerless home stereo
speaker (ca 1975)?

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 May 2015 18:10:51 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

What happened when a taxi's CB could
be heard on my powerless home stereo
speaker (ca 1975)?

If it was a taxi, it was probably not a CB, but a business band radio.
However some of those old business band radios were close to the CB
frequencies.

Except for CB, which is niot used much anymore, the business band radios
are mostly all changed to a higher and narrower band now, and many just
use a cellphone these days.

However, back in the 70's when CB was real popular, and many kids had
them, (often with illegal power boosters), they could be a problem on a
home stereo and other eleectronic devices.

At that time, I loved in a large city and very near a freeway. Many
times I would hear truckers on their CB and a local "kid" with his large
illegal CB amp coming thru my stereo speakers. Even my own car CB radio
with legal power, would come thru my stereo is my car was parked right
outside my house.

There was a simple solution. Replace the standard speaker wires with a
shielded cable. Connect the + (pos) speaker wire to the center wire,
connect the - (neg) wire to the shield. Then ground the shield to an
actual ground, which in my case was a well grounded steel water pipe.

That eliminated 95% of the problem. The freeway truckers were gone, and
the nearby kid was gone too. About the only time there was still a
little "leakage" was when I'd key up my own CB, or someone else would do
the same thing, *right next to my house*.

The speakers themselves are not likely to pick up the signal, it's the
wires that acted as antennas!

THere was a way to also add capacitors across the speaker terminals, but
I never did that. Some of the old 70's popular electronics magazines had
more into about this. Most if not all of those magazines are now online
as PDF files to download.

About the only CB users these days are a few old truckers, so unless you
live right next to a major highway, I doubt CD interference should be a
problem anymore!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I fixed a lady's stereo once with a cap filter on amp output, for local am
radio interference. I don't know what cab would use am cb. You can't hear
fm usually.
Ferrite core would probably work on amp outs.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

stuff snipped

At that time, I loved in a large city and very near a freeway.

Loved who? (-:

Many times I would hear truckers on their CB and a local "kid" with his
large illegal CB amp coming thru my stereo speakers.

What amazed me is that the CB of one particular over-amped trucker came
through my speakers when the stereo was turned off and then even unplugged.

Oddly, it was just this one set of speakers, among many, that picked up the
CB signal - I assume it was some odd resonance in the speaker coils or
circuitry. I do remember being pretty amazed that a pretty loud sound was
coming out of speakers that were connected to an amp that was disconnected
from the outlet.

I would have disconnected the speakers, too, but the sound, which appeared
about once every two weeks, eventually disappeared. It's pretty hard to
troubleshoot a problem that only shows up a few times a month.

I call it a "sound" because although it was clearly a person's voice, it was
so distorted it sounded very disturbing (I woke up to it the first time). I
knew it was CB because the phrase "10-4 Good Buddy" has to get pretty
distorted before it's unrecognizable.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/17/2015 10:15 PM, gregz wrote:
I fixed a lady's stereo once with a cap filter on amp output, for local am
radio interference. I don't know what cab would use am cb. You can't hear
fm usually.

I had a system that would pick up the FM broadcasts of the local FM
station. I figured it was the high impedance cartridge in the turntable
that got bored when it wasn't doing its job.