Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Taxi CB on my speaker (1975)

wrote in message

stuff snipped

At that time, I loved in a large city and very near a freeway.

Loved who? (-:

Many times I would hear truckers on their CB and a local "kid" with his
large illegal CB amp coming thru my stereo speakers.

What amazed me is that the CB of one particular over-amped trucker came
through my speakers when the stereo was turned off and then even unplugged.

Oddly, it was just this one set of speakers, among many, that picked up the
CB signal - I assume it was some odd resonance in the speaker coils or
circuitry. I do remember being pretty amazed that a pretty loud sound was
coming out of speakers that were connected to an amp that was disconnected
from the outlet.

I would have disconnected the speakers, too, but the sound, which appeared
about once every two weeks, eventually disappeared. It's pretty hard to
troubleshoot a problem that only shows up a few times a month.

I call it a "sound" because although it was clearly a person's voice, it was
so distorted it sounded very disturbing (I woke up to it the first time). I
knew it was CB because the phrase "10-4 Good Buddy" has to get pretty
distorted before it's unrecognizable.

--
Bobby G.