Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT, as I often do. Snap problem

At one end of the belt that goes around my waist, is a loop with two snaps
to connect a belt buckle. Oddly, one of the snaps won't open/unsnap. I
tried prying with a small screwdriver but there's no gap to fit it into. I
tried a squirt of penetrating oil with no sucess.

Any suggestions - besides a new belt?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 May 2015 16:27:26 GMT, KenK wrote:

At one end of the belt that goes around my waist, is a loop with two snaps
to connect a belt buckle. Oddly, one of the snaps won't open/unsnap. I
tried prying with a small screwdriver but there's no gap to fit it into. I
tried a squirt of penetrating oil with no sucess.

Is one side a snap and the other side a rivet?

Any suggestions - besides a new belt?

Get a Jethro belt made a rope
Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message
At one end of the belt that goes around my waist, is a loop with two snaps
to connect a belt buckle. Oddly, one of the snaps won't open/unsnap. I
tried prying with a small screwdriver but there's no gap to fit it into. I
tried a squirt of penetrating oil with no sucess.

Any suggestions - besides a new belt?

Loose some weight, you 800 pound gorilla!
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/12/2015 11:27 AM, KenK wrote:
At one end of the belt that goes around my waist, is a loop with two snaps
to connect a belt buckle. Oddly, one of the snaps won't open/unsnap. I
tried prying with a small screwdriver but there's no gap to fit it into. I
tried a squirt of penetrating oil with no sucess.

Any suggestions - besides a new belt?

TIA

It should open up if you pry hard enough.

If all else fails just drill it out and replace with a rivet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

On 12 May 2015 16:27:26 GMT, KenK wrote:

At one end of the belt that goes around my waist, is a loop with two
snaps to connect a belt buckle. Oddly, one of the snaps won't
open/unsnap. I tried prying with a small screwdriver but there's no
gap to fit it into. I tried a squirt of penetrating oil with no
sucess.

Is one side a snap and the other side a rivet?

Not sure. Looks a little like a rivet. But really just a regular snap
connector like on clothing. Only bigger, a half inch in diameter.

Any suggestions - besides a new belt?

Get a Jethro belt made a rope

Wouldm't work. Need to get it through a cell phone holster loop. g

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/15 12:27 PM, KenK wrote:
At one end of the belt that goes around my waist, is a loop with two snaps
to connect a belt buckle. Oddly, one of the snaps won't open/unsnap. I
tried prying with a small screwdriver but there's no gap to fit it into. I
tried a squirt of penetrating oil with no sucess.

Any suggestions - besides a new belt?

TIA

You'll have to drill it out. If you don't have a belt stapler, you can
use a license-plate nut and bolt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message
At one end of the belt that goes around my waist, is a loop with two snaps
to connect a belt buckle. Oddly, one of the snaps won't open/unsnap. I
tried prying with a small screwdriver but there's no gap to fit it into. I
tried a squirt of penetrating oil with no sucess.

Any suggestions - besides a new belt?

TIA

Why do you need to unsnap that? Just leave the buckle on the belt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 May 2015 17:44:15 GMT, KenK wrote:

Oren wrote in
:

On 12 May 2015 16:27:26 GMT, KenK wrote:

At one end of the belt that goes around my waist, is a loop with two
snaps to connect a belt buckle. Oddly, one of the snaps won't
open/unsnap. I tried prying with a small screwdriver but there's no
gap to fit it into. I tried a squirt of penetrating oil with no
sucess.

Is one side a snap and the other side a rivet?

Not sure. Looks a little like a rivet. But really just a regular snap
connector like on clothing. Only bigger, a half inch in diameter.

Wire cutters. There is a name for the kind I mean.... like pliers.
The kind used by radio technicians.

I don't mean for cutting rivets but for pushing one's way between the
halves of the snaps.

Any suggestions - besides a new belt?

Get a Jethro belt made a rope

Wouldm't work. Need to get it through a cell phone holster loop. g

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
At one end of the belt that goes around my waist, is a loop with two snaps
to connect a belt buckle. Oddly, one of the snaps won't open/unsnap. I
tried prying with a small screwdriver but there's no gap to fit it into. I
tried a squirt of penetrating oil with no sucess.

Any suggestions - besides a new belt?

TIA

A vise and Vise Grips? It's just like ketchup. If a little force
is good, a lot of force is better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/15 8:28 PM, micky wrote:

Wire cutters. There is a name for the kind I mean.... like pliers.
The kind used by radio technicians.

I don't mean for cutting rivets but for pushing one's way between the
halves of the snaps.

Dikes. "When in doubt, dike it out."

I like the kind with bare steel handles. Once I diked some wires
carrying 290VDC. I tossed them away and diked some more. The technician
with me said his heart stopped the first time. He thought it was a
fatal oversight. When I did it again, he realized he'd been wrong in
assuring people that I wasn't really crazy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 May 2015 19:58:26 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

KenK wrote:
At one end of the belt that goes around my waist, is a loop with two snaps
to connect a belt buckle. Oddly, one of the snaps won't open/unsnap. I
tried prying with a small screwdriver but there's no gap to fit it into. I
tried a squirt of penetrating oil with no sucess.

Any suggestions - besides a new belt?

TIA

A vise and Vise Grips? It's just like ketchup. If a little force
is good, a lot of force is better.

When you pour ketchup from a bottle,
first a little will come out, then a lot'l.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/12/2015 11:46 AM, J Burns wrote:
On 5/12/15 12:27 PM, KenK wrote:
At one end of the belt that goes around my waist, is a loop with two
snaps
to connect a belt buckle. Oddly, one of the snaps won't open/unsnap. I
tried prying with a small screwdriver but there's no gap to fit it
into. I
tried a squirt of penetrating oil with no sucess.

Any suggestions - besides a new belt?

TIA

You'll have to drill it out. If you don't have a belt stapler, you can
use a license-plate nut and bolt.

Chicago screws would be a little classier:

http://www.tandyleather.com/en-usd/p...-1290-051.aspx

The local ranch supply has a good selection but ymmv.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken,

Use a soup spoon as a lever and fulcrum. Try two spoons. Do not use the
wife's good silver. If two spoons won't do it buy a new belt.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/15 12:27 PM, KenK wrote:
At one end of the belt that goes around my waist, is a loop with two
snaps
to connect a belt buckle. Oddly, one of the snaps won't open/unsnap. I
tried prying with a small screwdriver but there's no gap to fit it
into. I
tried a squirt of penetrating oil with no sucess.

Any suggestions - besides a new belt?

TIA

You'll have to drill it out. If you don't have a belt stapler, you can
use a license-plate nut and bolt.

Chicago screws would be a little classier:

http://www.tandyleather.com/en-usd/p...-1290-051.aspx

The local ranch supply has a good selection but ymmv.

It is easier for me to remember that the female threaded ones are also
known as "sex bolts":

https://www.boltdepot.com/Sex_bolts_...ng_screws.aspx

Often (longer ones) are used to hold scrapbook covers and pages together.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"taxed and spent" wrote in
:

"KenK" wrote in message
At one end of the belt that goes around my waist, is a loop with two
snaps to connect a belt buckle. Oddly, one of the snaps won't
open/unsnap. I tried prying with a small screwdriver but there's no
gap to fit it into. I tried a squirt of penetrating oil with no
sucess.

Any suggestions - besides a new belt?

TIA

Why do you need to unsnap that? Just leave the buckle on the belt.

There's currently no buckle on the belt and I wish to add one and wear
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote in
:

On 12 May 2015 17:44:15 GMT, KenK wrote:

Oren wrote in
m:

On 12 May 2015 16:27:26 GMT, KenK wrote:

At one end of the belt that goes around my waist, is a loop with two
snaps to connect a belt buckle. Oddly, one of the snaps won't
open/unsnap. I tried prying with a small screwdriver but there's no
gap to fit it into. I tried a squirt of penetrating oil with no
sucess.

Is one side a snap and the other side a rivet?

Not sure. Looks a little like a rivet. But really just a regular snap
connector like on clothing. Only bigger, a half inch in diameter.

Wire cutters. There is a name for the kind I mean.... like pliers.
The kind used by radio technicians.

I don't mean for cutting rivets but for pushing one's way between the
halves of the snaps.

Tried diagonals. Didn't have any effect. Also tried a larger pair of
crimpers that had cutters like dikes on the end. No help either.

Any suggestions - besides a new belt?

Get a Jethro belt made a rope

Wouldm't work. Need to get it through a cell phone holster loop. g

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman wrote in
:

KenK wrote:
At one end of the belt that goes around my waist, is a loop with two
snaps to connect a belt buckle. Oddly, one of the snaps won't
open/unsnap. I tried prying with a small screwdriver but there's no
gap to fit it into. I tried a squirt of penetrating oil with no
sucess.

Any suggestions - besides a new belt?

TIA

A vise and Vise Grips? It's just like ketchup. If a little force
is good, a lot of force is better.

I tried vice grips. Thought they might deform the snap enough by barely
squeezing it that it would open up. The vice grips were too thick to get
in between the parts of the belt to get at the snap. I tried three
different ones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/13/15 1:54 PM, KenK wrote:
Tried diagonals. Didn't have any effect. Also tried a larger pair of
crimpers that had cutters like dikes on the end. No help either.

Hedge clippers!

Snap-On Warranty Ignoramus8543 Metalworking 7 January 21st 14 09:32 PM
Snap Ring Barbara Devaney Home Repair 11 October 2nd 13 03:04 PM
Snap-on Pilgrim Metalworking 30 August 15th 11 11:14 PM
R-8 Snap Change steamer Metalworking 1 March 24th 11 09:48 PM
Snap-On Paint Ignoramus10026 Metalworking 31 May 6th 08 11:13 AM