Posted to alt.home.repair

Default French Drains

I am thinking of installing some around my house. I have a crawl space and for the most part it stays dry other than after a torrential rain, then one side of it get water in it.

I have read conflicting things on where exactly they should be placed. Several say right up against the foundation. I read in one place however that the drain should be 4-6 feet away from the foundation and that you are actually inviting more water by placing it against the foundation due to the hydrostatic action of the soil.

Was wonder which was right and will it make a big difference?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

wrote in message
I am thinking of installing some around my house. I have a crawl space and
for the most part it stays dry other than after a torrential rain, then one
side of it get water in it.

I have read conflicting things on where exactly they should be placed.
Several say right up against the foundation. I read in one place however
that the drain should be 4-6 feet away from the foundation and that you are
actually inviting more water by placing it against the foundation due to the
hydrostatic action of the soil.

Was wonder which was right and will it make a big difference?

How will you manage a Frog Drain when you can't even write complete
sentences?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

"NEMO" wrote in message
On 5/7/2015 6:30 AM, Colon Edmud Burhcese wrote:
wrote in message
I am thinking of installing some around my house. I have a crawl space
and for the most part it stays dry other than after a torrential rain,
then one side of it get water in it.

I have read conflicting things on where exactly they should be placed.
Several say right up against the foundation. I read in one place however
that the drain should be 4-6 feet away from the foundation and that you
are actually inviting more water by placing it against the foundation
due to the hydrostatic action of the soil.

Was wonder which was right and will it make a big difference?

How will you manage a Frog Drain when you can't even write complete
sentences?

Good point, Coloon! Now how will you ever find Nirvana if you don't
believe in God? LOLOK

Nirvana is for Buddists, you ignorant ****!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 May 2015 09:23:19 -0400, songbird

I am thinking of installing some around my house. I have a crawl space and for the most part it stays dry other than after a torrential rain, then one side of it get water in it.

I have read conflicting things on where exactly they should be placed. Several say right up against the foundation. I read in one place however that the drain should be 4-6 feet away from the foundation and that you are actually inviting more water by placing it against the foundation due to the hydrostatic action of the soil.

Was wonder which was right and will it make a big difference?

it depends a great deal upon the soils around your
foundation as to what will work and what is a waste of
time, effort and money.

where does the potential drain go? do you have a
sump pump in the crawl space or a natural slope away
from the house you can use?

dig outside the wall that has the water and put the
drain slightly below the level of the footing and run
the drain pipe to your sump pump. do the french drain
along the wall properly (slope it enough, fabric around
the pipe, pea gravel then sharp sand). the wall itself
could be cleaned and sealed (tar it and then stick a
thick mil plastic on it) while you've got it dug out.

leave an access to the drain so you can check it
for critters if there are further problems.

songbird

+1+ on the OUTSIDE of the wall. Much better to keep water from going
through the foundation in the first place.
Unless the water is definitely coming up from below the basement
floor, and not from outside the perimeter, an internal french drain is
total stupidity in mnost cases.. Keep the water away from the
foundation (proper grading and gutters), then remove any water that
does get to the foundation level with an external drain, and
waterproof the OUTSIDE of the foundation with a drainage membrane -
and you won't ever have water trouble in the basement.

Ignore the rest and install an internal french drain, and water coming
through the foundation will progressively damage the
foundation./footing.
(there's a reason it's called a "french" drain)

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

Default Everyone having Endless Fun with Roman our illiterate foreskin-peeling gaping Grik anus!

"NEMO" wrote in message
On 5/7/2015 12:06 PM, Colon Edmud Burchese wrote:
"The Peeler" wrote in message

Nirvana is for Buddists, you ignorant ****!

YOU don't even believe in Buddha, you ignorant pagan! LOLOK

Even Buddha didn't believe in Buddha, he was illiterate uneducated
Indian
peasant!

Gosh! LOLOK!!!

Serbian or Turdian peasant--ah! there's the rub!
LOL

The only rub YOU'RE gonna get is from one of yer ladyboyz, Coloon! The
Grik Foreskin Peeler is TOOOOOOOOOOOOO far away! LOLOK!!

So are YOU, Mister Recktum..............Way out in LEFT FIELD!
LOL