Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Guttering/french drains and soakaways arghhh

Hi Everyone

Please can someone offer some advice etc.

I have moved into a 1970s semi that has an extension with a surface
area of 56sqm which runs into guttering towards the back of the house
with the final downpipe just hovering above the clay soil - needless
to say it gets a bit flooded.

I am looking at putting decking across the back of the house and it
has been suggested that I would need to look at either a soakaway or a
french drain as there is no storm drain on our property. However - the
soil is solid clay to quite a depth onto hard bedrock with a
reasonable high water table and so I am guessing that neither of these
are appropriate??

Am I wrong - could these be beneficial?

If not can anyone suggest anything else that would work? I have had a
look at a very large water butt but am unsure whether it would take
the volume of water due to the large surface area.

Any hints tips or advice would be greatly appreciated etc

Cheers

Nicola

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Why not have a butt - or connecting butts - AND a french drain?

It works for us.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Jul, 20:26, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Hi Mary

Thanks for the reply - I am quite new to this - how does that work
then?

Is the butt primary with an overflow to a french drain then?

Cheers

Nicola

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

[...]

Probably. I've got all that and more..the french drain feeds a pond cut
into the clay!

Clay makes a perfectly adequate soakaway tho..you just need a lager area
than normal.

Tell us something about the topography - are you in a dip? On a slope?
where is your nearest ditch or river etc?..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

oups.com...
wrote in message

[...]

More or less. The butts are connected, any extra goes to the drain.

Mary

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Jul, 20:38, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
On 10 Jul, 20:26, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

where is your nearest ditch or river etc?..- Hide quoted text -

The back garden slopes towards the house - no ponds, rivers or ditches
anywhere near the house :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

oups.com...

wrote in message

[...]

Mary- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Mary :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

You mean you are at the bottom of a hollow? or partway down a slope?

French Drains and Mold? [email protected] Home Repair 6 June 5th 07 05:16 PM
Water butts and soakaways Peter Twydell UK diy 6 May 26th 07 01:21 PM
Interior french drains Jack Home Repair 2 November 6th 05 11:05 PM
Soakaways Uno Hoo! UK diy 27 July 1st 05 06:43 AM
Clogged French Drains TrueWest Home Repair 2 February 20th 04 02:22 PM