Posted to alt.home.repair

Default roofing materiasl for house

I am getting ready to reroof my house. This will be done by a contractor.

While getting estimates, what is beter not counting on how they look and
which cost more . The 3 tab or the architecutural type ?

What are some of the beter brand names of the shingles ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-04-27 4:24 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I am getting ready to reroof my house. This will be done by a contractor.

While getting estimates, what is beter not counting on how they look and
which cost more . The 3 tab or the architecutural type ?

What are some of the beter brand names of the shingles ?

Certainteed offers a lifetime warranty, but only on the laminates. It is
generally considered that laminates last longer, but if you are one foot
in the grave already, it isn't worth it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Adam Kubias" wrote in message

Certainteed offers a lifetime warranty, but only on the laminates. It is
generally considered that laminates last longer, but if you are one foot
in the grave already, it isn't worth it.

I am in good health, but I and my wife are 65 so anything much over 20 years
is a waste, but I don't want to go to the least expensive either. don't
think I will have to put on another roof , so the metal is out due to cost.

I am in the middle of NC so the weather is not too extreme either way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 16:24:37 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

I am getting ready to reroof my house. This will be done by a contractor.

While getting estimates, what is beter not counting on how they look and
which cost more . The 3 tab or the architecutural type ?

What are some of the beter brand names of the shingles ?

Usually the 20 year are the 3 tab. The 30 or 40 years are
Architectural and, IMO, have a better look to them.

I saw that you are 65. I'd go for the 30 year so the house is in
better shape should you have to sell and go to a nursing home or, you
must might live to 87 and at that point, you don't want to have to
screw with a room.

Look at some stuff here
http://www.roofery.com/shingles/reviews/
Every brand has a lot of bar reviews.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/27/2015 4:24 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I am getting ready to reroof my house. This will be done by a contractor.

While getting estimates, what is beter not counting on how they look and
which cost more . The 3 tab or the architecutural type ?

What are some of the beter brand names of the shingles ?

I just had a new roof put on my home by a local contractor.
He claimed there is not much of a price difference between 3 tab and
architectural shingles. We went with GAF Timberline architectural
shingles. Shingles are useless if the prep work is not carried out
properly. Replacement plywood and labor can be expensive.
They put a metal drip edge on all roof edges, new flashing and seals
along the porch roof line, vent pipe, and chimney, 3 foot wide leak
barriers, and more.

The only item the contractor suggested not to purchase were Energy Star
rated shingles that are covered with highly reflective granules. He
claimed they were 3 times the price of normal shingles and were not cost
effective.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 07:38:42 -0400, Paul Marks
wrote:

[...]

Never buy the cheapest or most expensive materials.
The cost of the shingles is less than half the cost of the roof, so
the incrimental cost to go to a better shingle is not as bad as it
looks at first glance - particularly when ammortized over the expected
longer lifespan. Roofs generally do NOT last the projected warranty
span.
Make sure the roof is properly prepaired for shingles, with eave
starter, proper roofing felt, solid sheathing, etc - as well as
adequate venting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/27/2015 4:24 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I am getting ready to reroof my house. This will be done by a contractor.

While getting estimates, what is beter not counting on how they look and
which cost more . The 3 tab or the architecutural type ?

What are some of the beter brand names of the shingles ?

My roof is over 25 years old and still looks good done with
architectural shingles. We were advised to use these as re-roofing our
first roof which was badly warped would make flat shingles unsightly.
Warranty was 25 years but I expect to get many more years out of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 27, 2015 at 4:20:44 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I am getting ready to reroof my house. This will be done by a contractor.

While getting estimates, what is beter not counting on how they look and
which cost more . The 3 tab or the architecutural type ?

What are some of the beter brand names of the shingles ?

Architectural is what is going on all the better homes today.
They have a 3D profile that looks much better than 3 tab, are
heavier, have a longer life and don't cost that much more.

I went with Owens Corning. GAF, CertainTeed are some other major brands.
And of course even more important is who does the work.
I would always do a tear off, and not put new over old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 28, 2015 at 10:43:44 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
Never buy the cheapest or most expensive materials.
The cost of the shingles is less than half the cost of the roof, so
the incrimental cost to go to a better shingle is not as bad as it
looks at first glance - particularly when ammortized over the expected
longer lifespan. Roofs generally do NOT last the projected warranty
span.
Make sure the roof is properly prepaired for shingles, with eave
starter, proper roofing felt, solid sheathing, etc - as well as
adequate venting.

check BBB, ask for references and go inspect some
jobs they've done. when we redid the roof here the
prices quoted from various contractors was quite a
bit more (three times the lowest), but when asking
around i found out that one company that gave a really
high quote also had really crappy work and made a mess
of things all over the place, etc. the BBB check found
a lot of complaints too. company we ended up going
with was a much larger company that does several
hundred roofs a season and had an excellent BBB rating.

there was an option to pay 10% extra for a longer
lifetime guarantee and we took it because it added
25 years more and is transferable to next owner.

multiple layer shingles, replaced decking and put
down heavy plastic/rubber sheeting along the edges
where ice can build up at times.

songbird

It seems rather odd that paying 10% more magically makes
the roof last 25 years longer. What company stands
behind that guarantee? I'll bet it's not the shingle
manufacturer. More likely it's just the local contractor
who figures almost no one will ever make a claim on it.
And if anyone does, they'll be lucky to collect.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
It seems rather odd that paying 10% more magically makes
the roof last 25 years longer. What company stands
behind that guarantee? I'll bet it's not the shingle
manufacturer. More likely it's just the local contractor
who figures almost no one will ever make a claim on it.
And if anyone does, they'll be lucky to collect.

it actually is the manufacturer who backs the
guarantee, had to send in papers to them.

and it isn't "magically", as they do more prep
work and add better materials along the edges for
preventing ice dam leaks, etc. considering the
cost of a new roof is not going to get any cheaper
i figure any extra years i can get out of this one
is worth it for that price.

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 28, 2015 at 12:55:15 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
trader_4 wrote:
It seems rather odd that paying 10% more magically makes
the roof last 25 years longer. What company stands
behind that guarantee? I'll bet it's not the shingle
manufacturer. More likely it's just the local contractor
who figures almost no one will ever make a claim on it.
And if anyone does, they'll be lucky to collect.

it actually is the manufacturer who backs the
guarantee, had to send in papers to them.

and it isn't "magically", as they do more prep
work and add better materials along the edges for
preventing ice dam leaks, etc. considering the
cost of a new roof is not going to get any cheaper
i figure any extra years i can get out of this one
is worth it for that price.

songbird

Who is the manufacturer and the product?

Ice damming would be unrelated to roof life. If it's going
to leak because of inadequate ice damming underlayment, it's
just as likely to leak in year 1 as in year 35.

The specifics of the warranty are critical. For example,
if it only covers defects in materials and workmanship, I
would expect that at year 35, they are going to say it's not
a defect, it's just normal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And flashing, adequate venting is very, very, very important.
In real life Rarely people redo roofs when the shingles reach warranted
life span, it is done usually before. Our house has metal tile roof. I
don't need to worry about roof. In the city there is asphalt shingle
plant where they often have fires. Because it happened so frequently FD
even imposed fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
[...]

35 year one is quite heavier than 25 year one. Some roof can't afford
heavier roofing material - some thing to consider. Up here
we always remove old roof before installing new one. No one
puts down new one on top of old.

BBB? what for? They don't have any legal authority or power.
I have a little dent on the front fender to fix on my car. I checked
ratings of repair outfits at local BBB. One AAA rated outfit
quoted 1800.00. Two other not even BBB member both quoted
250.00. One of this gave discount for AAA memeber(I am) they
did super job. I can't see any sign of dent on the fender.
BBB? Go figure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
[...]

There are lifetime manufacturer warranties and a company I spent 10
years with also offered lifetime workmanship warranties. Not everyone is
out to screw you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
[...]

And typically, they have enough exclusions, loopholes, etc
so that what you think is "lifetime" doesn't really turn out
to be lifetime. I don't believe you can take a roofing product
and magically change it from a 30 year product to a 55 year
or lifetime one by charging 10% more for the job. One way
to offer such a warranty is
what I pointed out, that it may cover "manufacturing defects".
If the roof starts leaking at 35 years, it can be from the
fact that there is no "manufacturing defect", it's just worn
out from typical usage in the environment it's in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
songbird wrote:
trader_4 wrote:
It seems rather odd that paying 10% more magically makes
the roof last 25 years longer. What company stands
behind that guarantee? I'll bet it's not the shingle
manufacturer. More likely it's just the local contractor
who figures almost no one will ever make a claim on it.
And if anyone does, they'll be lucky to collect.

it actually is the manufacturer who backs the
guarantee, had to send in papers to them.

and it isn't "magically", as they do more prep
work and add better materials along the edges for
preventing ice dam leaks, etc. considering the
cost of a new roof is not going to get any cheaper
i figure any extra years i can get out of this one
is worth it for that price.

Who is the manufacturer and the product?

Certainteed Landmark Shingles, 5 Star Coverage:

summary of coverage:

- Extends standard SureStart duration and coverage to 50 years
- Fully transferable one time for 15 years
- Covers materials, labor, tear-off and disposal for 50 years
- Covers contractor workmanship for 25 years
- Increases wind warranty to 130mph for 15 years

if you want details you can google it.

Ice damming would be unrelated to roof life. If it's going
to leak because of inadequate ice damming underlayment, it's
just as likely to leak in year 1 as in year 35.

if the roof is leaking due to ice dams, you may
not know it for many years as snow and weather
conditions can vary a great deal from year to year.
you must not live in the north country.

The specifics of the warranty are critical. For example,
if it only covers defects in materials and workmanship, I
would expect that at year 35, they are going to say it's not
a defect, it's just normal.

i suspect you are jumping at shadows here... so far
the company has been professional, courteous, prompt,
decent, etc. when dealing with things that have happened
since they've installed the roof and it's already beyond
their 2 year warranty. we had a small tornado near miss
last summer with no damage and no leaks. small leak
since then, but i think we have it solved. the journey
continues...

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Did the company last life time or was taken over by another co. carrying
old policy? I hope so.