Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Roofing between house and garage

Hope someone can give me some tips please ....
We have a horrible looking corrugated plastic roof between our house
and garage - plus, the timber framing to support it is even worse
....:-(
Basically the span between the house and garage is just over 3 ft wide,
but runs for around 16ft. You walk the 3ft between the door from the
utility room in the house to the door into the garage. The roofing
therefore runs right to left for the 15ft run - as you leave the
utility room, the 'drop' for rain water runs the whole 15ft, and slopes
right to left. Also under the roofing is the outlet from a fan-flued
boiler (also in the utility room). I will change this for a chimney
type arrangement which will go through the new roofing.
I don't really like the corrugated sheeting, and I've seen I can buy
new solid/box section polycarbonate sheeting in lengths up to 6m (so
that would be good for the total length needed), but I don't know how I
can then fix the sheeting to the new framing - I could start at both
ends, but my arms aren't 3m long !! ... so, I'm thinking of buying
shorter sheets, but then I'll need to connect the sheets end-to-end ...
Struggling to think how I can do this, and I don't want to resort to
corrugated stuff and overlappaing.
Any ideas?
Thanks in adavnce folks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message om
from contains these words:

[...]

I dealt with a firm in Colchester when I replaced a car port a few years
ago. Mrplastic.org. The car port was attached to the house only on the
upper edge so not quite the same but it wouldn't hurt to ask if their
edge bars could be fitted without the need for 3m arms.

The only other thing I can think off is to reconfigure the roof with the
fall across the passageway and plumb in a gutter on the lower side or
have it high enough to discharge onto the garage roof.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger wrote:
The message om
from contains these words:

[...]

I reckon that would look much better, more like a proper piece of
roofing.

Your choices are glass, corru plastic or twinwall polycarb. Glass looks
best of course. All will get dirty, so sloping down away from the house
would make the occasoinal clean easier.

Unfortunately you do have to have 10ft long arms to use 10ft sheets, so
I guess you cant use those

NT