Posted to alt.home.repair
Adam Kubias Adam Kubias is offline

Default roofing materiasl for house

On 2015-04-28 1:05 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, April 28, 2015 at 12:55:15 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
trader_4 wrote:
It seems rather odd that paying 10% more magically makes
the roof last 25 years longer. What company stands
behind that guarantee? I'll bet it's not the shingle
manufacturer. More likely it's just the local contractor
who figures almost no one will ever make a claim on it.
And if anyone does, they'll be lucky to collect.

it actually is the manufacturer who backs the
guarantee, had to send in papers to them.

and it isn't "magically", as they do more prep
work and add better materials along the edges for
preventing ice dam leaks, etc. considering the
cost of a new roof is not going to get any cheaper
i figure any extra years i can get out of this one
is worth it for that price.

songbird

Who is the manufacturer and the product?

Ice damming would be unrelated to roof life. If it's going
to leak because of inadequate ice damming underlayment, it's
just as likely to leak in year 1 as in year 35.

The specifics of the warranty are critical. For example,
if it only covers defects in materials and workmanship, I
would expect that at year 35, they are going to say it's not
a defect, it's just normal.

There are lifetime manufacturer warranties and a company I spent 10
years with also offered lifetime workmanship warranties. Not everyone is
out to screw you.