Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Any idea how to jury rig a dirty water pump to drain the last 3 inches?

On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 07:45:50 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Wayne-Systems-VIP50-Submersible-Utility/dp/B000CQ6CU4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1429875701&sr=8-10&keywords=trash+pump

Needs only 1/8". 2500gph through a garden hose.

"Minimum water level to operate pump is 2 5/8-inch"

+1

That puts us back to the original subject question.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Wayne-Systems-VIP50-Submersible-Utility/dp/B000CQ6CU4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1429875701&sr=8-10&keywords=trash+pump

Needs only 1/8". 2500gph through a garden hose.

"Minimum water level to operate pump is 2 5/8-inch"

+1

That puts us back to the original subject question.

I'm not sure exactly what those specs need. It says both:

Needs only 1/8"
Min water level to operate is 2 5/8"

It probably means that it needs 2 5/8" to get it going, but once
going it can drain it down to within 1/8" of the bottom.
I have a pool cover pump that works like that. I use it
to drain my spa. It needs a couple inches for it to prime
and go to work, but will keep going down to maybe 1/4".
I have to be careful, because if it's not positioned properly,
or gets disturbed when it's down to say 1", then it won't
re-prime and continue, so you wind up with 1" left instead of 1/4".
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If you weren't there to shut it off, and it got down to 1/4" and started
sucking air, could it be damaged?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I doubt it. But I only use it to pump out a spa, takes about an hour
or so and I keep an eye on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/24/15 5:36 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

That question is asked often in connection with the pumps Amazon lists,
and pop wisdom replies that the pump will burn out.

Running dry, maybe a given 1/4 hp pump wouldn't draw enough watts to
overheat. That would mean it could be left running in threatening
conditions.

I used to drive a vehicle with 4 pumps, each 300 gallons per minute,
that ran whenever the engine ran. It was a precaution in case I drove
into the ocean and had a 1200 gpm leak. I spent very little time in the
water. They almost always ran dry. They kept working fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 9:13:19 PM UTC-4, J Burns wrote:
[...]

The pool cover pump I'm using is small, nowhere near 1/4 hp.
Additionally, it's thermally protected.

I used to drive a vehicle with 4 pumps, each 300 gallons per minute,
that ran whenever the engine ran. It was a precaution in case I drove
into the ocean and had a 1200 gpm leak. I spent very little time in the
water. They almost always ran dry. They kept working fine.

Must have been a very special vehicle. Cadillac perhaps?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/25/15 8:58 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 9:13:19 PM UTC-4, J Burns wrote:

If you weren't there to shut it off, and it got down to 1/4" and started
sucking air, could it be damaged?

I doubt it. But I only use it to pump out a spa, takes about an hour
or so and I keep an eye on it.

That question is asked often in connection with the pumps Amazon lists,
and pop wisdom replies that the pump will burn out.

Running dry, maybe a given 1/4 hp pump wouldn't draw enough watts to
overheat. That would mean it could be left running in threatening
conditions.

The pool cover pump I'm using is small, nowhere near 1/4 hp.
Additionally, it's thermally protected.

I see they have pedestal sump pumps under $80. I may get one. My
grandfather must have been about 70 when he dug a pit under the house to
put in a gas furnace. It drains by gravity from the low end. I'd love
to know how he built the underground drain field.

Occasionally, if the ground is saturated and there's a downpour, the
water will rise enough to get into the furnace. If it rises high enough
get into the blower, I have to draw the water out with a syringe. If it
gets the control card, I have to take everything apart and dry it.

The water at the low end of the pit could be perhaps a foot deep without
touching the furnace. A pedestal pump with a nice, big, exterior float
looks perfect!

I used to drive a vehicle with 4 pumps, each 300 gallons per minute,
that ran whenever the engine ran. It was a precaution in case I drove
into the ocean and had a 1200 gpm leak. I spent very little time in the
water. They almost always ran dry. They kept working fine.

Must have been a very special vehicle. Cadillac perhaps?

Naw, Saint Louis Car Company. I wanted to buy one and paint it red, but
I was only making $3 a day. I saved up and in a couple of years was
able to afford an off-brand 13-hp motorcycle.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ound/lvtp5.htm

Water Heater Flushing: Good idea or bad idea? VQ Home Repair 16 November 20th 17 04:14 AM
Any idea how to jury rig a dirty water pump to drain the last 3inches? Danny D.[_15_] Electronics Repair 36 April 24th 15 05:06 PM
Dirty water pump asalcedo UK diy 4 October 2nd 12 07:12 AM
dirty water pump with hose intake sm_jamieson UK diy 1 May 1st 08 11:09 PM
Dirty water pump LSR UK diy 2 September 18th 07 03:23 PM