Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Brake retarders may not be used in this town

Brake retarders may not be used in this town, said the sign, just as I
started to go *up* a small hill.

The small town is in a slighty hilly part of Pennsylvania. It's
industrial area is dominated by one company, whose name I can't r ecall
but which might make paper. I'm sure they get qute a few big trucks
coming into town, and they might take this street, for the same reason I
did. (It was the first street that went there, coming from the west.)

What is a brake retarder?

Why don't they want it used? Isn't it good for cars and trucks to
actually stop when the drivers want them to?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 02:21:58 -0400, micky
wrote:

Brake retarders may not be used in this town, said the sign, just as I
started to go *up* a small hill.

The small town is in a slighty hilly part of Pennsylvania. It's
industrial area is dominated by one company, whose name I can't r ecall
but which might make paper. I'm sure they get qute a few big trucks
coming into town, and they might take this street, for the same reason I
did. (It was the first street that went there, coming from the west.)

What is a brake retarder?

Why don't they want it used? Isn't it good for cars and trucks to
actually stop when the drivers want them to?

Right before entering that town, you must pull over and remove the
brakes from your truck! That way you'll run over all the retards in that
town.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 2:21:59 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
Brake retarders may not be used in this town, said the sign, just as I
started to go *up* a small hill.

The small town is in a slighty hilly part of Pennsylvania. It's
industrial area is dominated by one company, whose name I can't r ecall
but which might make paper. I'm sure they get qute a few big trucks
coming into town, and they might take this street, for the same reason I
did. (It was the first street that went there, coming from the west.)

What is a brake retarder?

Why don't they want it used? Isn't it good for cars and trucks to
actually stop when the drivers want them to?

jake brake uses the engine as a brake. residents dont like them they are very noisey.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/12/2015 01:21 AM, micky wrote:
Brake retarders may not be used in this town, said the sign, just as I
started to go *up* a small hill.

The small town is in a slighty hilly part of Pennsylvania. It's
industrial area is dominated by one company, whose name I can't r ecall
but which might make paper. I'm sure they get qute a few big trucks
coming into town, and they might take this street, for the same reason I
did. (It was the first street that went there, coming from the west.)

What is a brake retarder?

Why don't they want it used? Isn't it good for cars and trucks to
actually stop when the drivers want them to?

http://www.justanswer.com/car/04vya-...ns-posted.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2015 2:21 AM, micky wrote:
Brake retarders may not be used in this town, said the sign, just as I
started to go *up* a small hill.

The small town is in a slighty hilly part of Pennsylvania. It's
industrial area is dominated by one company, whose name I can't r ecall
but which might make paper. I'm sure they get qute a few big trucks
coming into town, and they might take this street, for the same reason I
did. (It was the first street that went there, coming from the west.)

What is a brake retarder?

Why don't they want it used? Isn't it good for cars and trucks to
actually stop when the drivers want them to?

Political correctness is Brake Disabilitator.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 05:11:26 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/12/2015 01:21 AM, micky wrote:
Brake retarders may not be used in this town, said the sign, just as I
started to go *up* a small hill.

The small town is in a slighty hilly part of Pennsylvania. It's
industrial area is dominated by one company, whose name I can't r ecall
but which might make paper. I'm sure they get qute a few big trucks
coming into town, and they might take this street, for the same reason I
did. (It was the first street that went there, coming from the west.)

What is a brake retarder?

Why don't they want it used? Isn't it good for cars and trucks to
actually stop when the drivers want them to?

http://www.justanswer.com/car/04vya-...ns-posted.html

Wow. It's almost like I posted the question. And from Pennsylvania
too!

And Bob, your answer covered everything also.

I did look up brake retarder, but I didn' tfind the part where it was
noisy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2015 2:21 AM, micky wrote:
Brake retarders may not be used in this town, said the sign, just as I
started to go *up* a small hill.

The small town is in a slighty hilly part of Pennsylvania. It's
industrial area is dominated by one company, whose name I can't r ecall
but which might make paper. I'm sure they get qute a few big trucks
coming into town, and they might take this street, for the same reason I
did. (It was the first street that went there, coming from the west.)

What is a brake retarder?

Why don't they want it used? Isn't it good for cars and trucks to
actually stop when the drivers want them to?

Brake retarder is also known as an engine brake or "Jake Brake" as it
was developed by the Jacobs Engineering company.

Some communities forbid their use because they think it is more
important to be quiet than safe. The brake works by changing the valve
opening and closing during deceleration and it makes for a noisy
exhaust.Using the engine brakes saves the regular brakes and keeps them
from fading on a long hill. I've seen more and more of those signs
popping up nd I guess it will continue until there is a bad accident
from a truck losing its brakes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
Brake retarders may not be used in this town, said the sign, just as I
started to go *up* a small hill.

The small town is in a slighty hilly part of Pennsylvania. It's
industrial area is dominated by one company, whose name I can't r ecall
but which might make paper. I'm sure they get qute a few big trucks
coming into town, and they might take this street, for the same reason I
did. (It was the first street that went there, coming from the west.)

What is a brake retarder?

Why don't they want it used? Isn't it good for cars and trucks to
actually stop when the drivers want them to?

That is illegal all over the populated places. Ever drove diesel engine
big trucks? Or used engine brake driving cars with manual shift? Then
you'd know.
It makes loud noise when applied the retarder.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Brake retarders may not be used in this town, said the sign, just as I
started to go *up* a small hill.

The small town is in a slighty hilly part of Pennsylvania. It's

Spring Grove.

industrial area is dominated by one company, whose name I can't r ecall

Glatfelter. The name is all over town, and the original Glatfelter
mansion is still there. I think it's still a private house.

but which might make paper. I'm sure they get qute a few big trucks

"A global supplier of specialty papers and engineered products,
Glatfelter delivers more than quality paper products. Offering over a
century of experience, technical expertise and world-class service,
Glatfelter provides custom solutions to meet your specific needs. "

coming into town, and they might take this street, for the same reason I
did. (It was the first street that went there, coming from the west.)

What is a brake retarder?

Why don't they want it used? Isn't it good for cars and trucks to
actually stop when the drivers want them to?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-04-12, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

from fading on a long hill. I've seen more and more of those signs
popping up nd I guess it will continue until there is a bad accident
from a truck losing its brakes.

Other more enlightened towns have an "engine brakes must be muffled"
sign. IOW, engine brakes can be muffled jes like regular engine
exhaust. Truckers don't need these brakes in town, but get lazy and
use 'em for slowing to take the wear/tear off their main braking
systems, which are expensive to replace.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-04-12, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

from fading on a long hill. I've seen more and more of those signs
popping up nd I guess it will continue until there is a bad accident
from a truck losing its brakes.

Other more enlightened towns have an "engine brakes must be muffled"
sign. IOW, engine brakes can be muffled jes like regular engine
exhaust. Truckers don't need these brakes in town, but get lazy and
use 'em for slowing to take the wear/tear off their main braking
systems, which are expensive to replace.

nb

Harry explains why they should be used
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZZqnVYB4UA

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Brake retarders may not be used in this town, said the sign, just as I
started to go *up* a small hill.

The small town is in a slighty hilly part of Pennsylvania. It's
industrial area is dominated by one company, whose name I can't r ecall
but which might make paper. I'm sure they get qute a few big trucks
coming into town, and they might take this street, for the same reason I
did. (It was the first street that went there, coming from the west.)

What is a brake retarder?

Why don't they want it used? Isn't it good for cars and trucks to
actually stop when the drivers want them to?

A "brake retarder" AKA "JakeBrake" is a device in a diesel engine
that uses engine compression to slow down the truck and makes one HELL
of a racket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 15:56:29 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Harry explains why they should be used
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZZqnVYB4UA

We've had, chickens, hogs and bees suffer when trucks tumble over.

Drivers come into the "spaghetti bowl" - thinking they have control.
Do Do happens and we have animals everywhere. Cops shooting pigs.

Some cowboys on horse back once came in to catch all the cows, when
that happened.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-04-12, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Harry explains why they should be used
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZZqnVYB4UA

heh heh.....

I bought the album for that one lone song.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/12/2015 07:33 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Brake retarder is also known as an engine brake or "Jake Brake" as it
was developed by the Jacobs Engineering company.

Some communities forbid their use because they think it is more
important to be quiet than safe. The brake works by changing the valve
opening and closing during deceleration and it makes for a noisy
exhaust.Using the engine brakes saves the regular brakes and keeps them
from fading on a long hill. I've seen more and more of those signs
popping up nd I guess it will continue until there is a bad accident
from a truck losing its brakes.

The company I worked for had the real Jacobs setup on the newer trucks
and Blue Ox, which was just a plate restricting the exhaust on the older
trucks. The actuating cylinder on my truck failed. The shop mechanic
asked which way I was going and I said 'East.' "You won't need it back
East so we'll fix it when you get back." That's when I found some of
the grades in West Virginia are like driving off a cliff. They may not
be long, but they're steep and I missed the Ox.

Some of the big fleets save money by not installing the jakes. I17 from
Flagstaff to Camp Verde is a long grade and a guy was starting to lose
his brakes. I talked him down it, advising him to save what he had left
for some of the sharper curves. The road is straight north of Camp Verde
so I told him to just let it roll. The road goes back uphill after the
town so while you might be doing 90 at the bottom you'll be back down to
25 before you get to the summit.

I80 coming down the west side of Donner has a number of advisory signs
that are similar, when to gear down, when you're coming to a flat so you
can let it roll and so forth.

But they are noisy and the sleeping townies don't like 'Duh-dh-duh-duh'
at 3AM. Truthfully, there are few populated areas where you really need
the assist and it's just a courtesy to flip the switch off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2015 5:58 PM, rbowman wrote:

But they are noisy and the sleeping townies don't like 'Duh-dh-duh-duh'
at 3AM. Truthfully, there are few populated areas where you really need
the assist and it's just a courtesy to flip the switch off.

I imagine any driver in trouble stopping is going to use them anyway.
better a fine than a crash.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 19:00:59 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/12/2015 5:58 PM, rbowman wrote:

But they are noisy and the sleeping townies don't like 'Duh-dh-duh-duh'
at 3AM. Truthfully, there are few populated areas where you really need
the assist and it's just a courtesy to flip the switch off.

I imagine any driver in trouble stopping is going to use them anyway.
better a fine than a crash.

Some places out west have _Runaway truck ramp_ (s)

"A runaway truck ramp, runaway truck lane, escape lane, emergency
escape ramp or truck arrester bed is a traffic device that enables
vehicles that are having braking problems to safely stop. It is
typically a long, sand or gravel-filled lane adjacent to a road with a
steep down-hill grade, and is designed to accommodate large trucks.
The deep filling allows the truck's momentum to be dissipated in a
controlled and relatively harmless way, allowing the operator to stop
it safely."

Sample pic:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/A7-Notbremsweg.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message

Some places out west have _Runaway truck ramp_ (s)

"A runaway truck ramp, runaway truck lane, escape lane, emergency
escape ramp or truck arrester bed is a traffic device that enables
vehicles that are having braking problems to safely stop. It is
typically a long, sand or gravel-filled lane adjacent to a road with a
steep down-hill grade, and is designed to accommodate large trucks.
The deep filling allows the truck's momentum to be dissipated in a
controlled and relatively harmless way, allowing the operator to stop
it safely."

Sample pic:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/A7-Notbremsweg.jpg

There are some mountain roads in North Carolina that have run away stops
similar to that. Lots of soft dirt (sand) off the road.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 1:00:44 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
[...]

We have some of those ramps along I-68 in western Maryland. I wonder how they get the truck back off the ramp once it's stopped.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 13:20:13 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314
wrote:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/A7-Notbremsweg.jpg

We have some of those ramps along I-68 in western Maryland. I wonder how they get the truck back off the ramp once it's stopped.

Paul

Winches, cables and smart people G

And the cost of Diesel fuel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/2015 1:00 PM, Oren wrote:

The deep filling allows the truck's momentum to be dissipated in a
controlled and relatively harmless way, allowing the operator to stop
it safely."

Sample pic:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/A7-Notbremsweg.jpg

You'd think they'd have an outhouse at the end of the deceleration ramp
so the trucker could change his/her underwear.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/2015 1:00 PM, Oren wrote:
The deep filling allows the truck's momentum to be dissipated in a
controlled and relatively harmless way, allowing the operator to stop
it safely."

Sample pic:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/A7-Notbremsweg.jpg

Eif heardenzits ferri expensiveheimer to gettin
ze truk eeen vunufzeez.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/2015 4:20 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 1:00:44 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
Sample pic:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/A7-Notbremsweg.jpg

We have some of those ramps along I-68 in western Maryland. I wonder how they get the truck back off the ramp once it's stopped.

Paul

I've seen that kind of thing in Utah, or maybe it was
Wyoming, or both. I've heard the winching, extracting,
and raking the gravel (for the next poor guy) is quite
expensive.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/13/2015 11:00 AM, Oren wrote:
Some places out west have_Runaway truck ramp_ (s)
Sample pic:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/A7-Notbremsweg.jpg

That's WAY out west They're the last resort. No way are you going to
get back out without the services of a very large wrecker. When you need
them though...

http://www.troyrecord.com/general-ne...sion-in-berlin

I was swimming with my father when every mutual aid siren in the county
went off. It wasn't clear if the driver dumped the tanker on purpose
when he saw the town coming up fast. Whether he did or not it would have
been a much bigger disaster. The town center was a square with a
monument in the middle; no way was he going to make it through.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/13/2015 02:20 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
We have some of those ramps along I-68 in western Maryland. I wonder how they get the truck back off the ramp once it's stopped.

One or more wreckers. I don't mean your little tow trucks. These are
Class 8 trucks with the winches and equipment to handle tractor
trailers. If you look, there are usually stanchions to chain the wrecker
to.

I never used one of the ramps but I got in a position on a hairpin turn
going up Petit Jean Mountain in Arkansas that I needed to be extracted
from. Basically the truck was trying to roll over but the tractor and
trailer were holding each other up. However, all 4 drivers on the uphill
side were of the ground. There is sort of a limited slip between the
axles but when you get both tires on both axles off the ground, you're
screwed.

The guy with the wrecker had obviously been there, done that before. He
got all the wheels back on the ground and told me how to negotiate the
rest of the hairpins. In a trucker's map of Arkansas, everything but the
driveway to the governor's mansion is marked as a truck route. I imagine
it has something to do with Federal bucks. The wrecker driver told me
the last time he was out it was to retrieve an oversize load. The irony
is for oversize loads the state routes you so some cracker with a sense
of humor sent the guy up that goat trail.

The great thing about roads like that is once you commit you're never
going to be able to turn around. They just get worse and worse as your
knuckles get whiter and whiter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 21:11:35 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 04/13/2015 02:20 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
We have some of those ramps along I-68 in western Maryland. I wonder how they get the truck back off the ramp once it's stopped.

One or more wreckers. I don't mean your little tow trucks. These are
Class 8 trucks with the winches and equipment to handle tractor
trailers. If you look, there are usually stanchions to chain the wrecker
to.

There is a series on the Weather Channel called "Highway Thru Hell"
about a company that does rescue and towing. They have one rig called
a Rotator that costs close to $1million. Amazing how they handle some
of the wrecks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_Thru_Hell

http://highwaythruhell.discovery.ca/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/14/2015 06:11 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
There is a series on the Weather Channel called "Highway Thru Hell"
about a company that does rescue and towing. They have one rig called
a Rotator that costs close to $1million. Amazing how they handle some
of the wrecks.

There are several routes notorious for high winds like I10 in southern
CA. I've seen trucks laying on their sides like a kid's Tonka toys. It's
a project getting them back on their wheels without doing more damage.
Then there are the real wrecks or the all time favorite, a 13'6" trailer
halfway though a 12' underpass.

San Francisco and Seattle are also fun. Know all those chase scenes on
the hills of SF with the cars getting air as they hit the cross streets?
Some of those intersections are sharp enough you can jam up the belly of
a 53' trailer and come to an abrupt stop. When you can't pull it off
with your big truck, you need a really big wrecker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/14/2015 8:11 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
There is a series on the Weather Channel called "Highway Thru Hell"
about a company that does rescue and towing. They have one rig called
a Rotator that costs close to $1million. Amazing how they handle some
of the wrecks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_Thru_Hell

http://highwaythruhell.discovery.ca/

I watch very little TV, but that's one show I do
enjoy. They sure seem like very likable folks, the
tow operators. The old guy Quiring seems a bit
cranky, but he's polite enough when needed.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Oren:
Some places out west have _Runaway truck ramp_ (s)

"A runaway truck ramp, runaway truck lane, escape lane, emergency
escape ramp or truck arrester bed is a traffic device that enables
vehicles that are having braking problems to safely stop. It is
typically a long, sand or gravel-filled lane adjacent to a road with a
steep down-hill grade, and is designed to accommodate large trucks.
The deep filling allows the truck's momentum to be dissipated in a
controlled and relatively harmless way, allowing the operator to stop
it safely."

I have seen something like that in Penna - around Jim Thorpe.

Those also included an up-grade as in: http://tinyurl.com/ox7rckk
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 16:58:28 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Oren:
Some places out west have _Runaway truck ramp_ (s)

"A runaway truck ramp, runaway truck lane, escape lane, emergency
escape ramp or truck arrester bed is a traffic device that enables
vehicles that are having braking problems to safely stop. It is
typically a long, sand or gravel-filled lane adjacent to a road with a
steep down-hill grade, and is designed to accommodate large trucks.
The deep filling allows the truck's momentum to be dissipated in a
controlled and relatively harmless way, allowing the operator to stop
it safely."

I have seen something like that in Penna - around Jim Thorpe.

Those also included an up-grade as in: http://tinyurl.com/ox7rckk

http://www.dickndebbietravels.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/RUNAWAY-TRUCK-RAMP-SIGN_640x425.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

You'd think they'd have an outhouse at the end of the deceleration ramp
so the trucker could change his/her underwear.

An outhouse would require more tax dollars.

Hold my beer, watch this
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 20:56:37 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 04/13/2015 11:00 AM, Oren wrote:
Some places out west have_Runaway truck ramp_ (s)
Sample pic:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/A7-Notbremsweg.jpg

Despite the gravel, this seems too short to work. The ones in Pa. are a
lot longer.

That's WAY out west They're the last resort. No way are you going to
get back out without the services of a very large wrecker. When you need
them though...

http://www.troyrecord.com/general-ne...sion-in-berlin

I was swimming with my father when every mutual aid siren in the county
went off. It wasn't clear if the driver dumped the tanker on purpose
when he saw the town coming up fast. Whether he did or not it would have
been a much bigger disaster. The town center was a square with a
monument in the middle; no way was he going to make it through.

Wow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 08:07:22 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 04/14/2015 06:11 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
There is a series on the Weather Channel called "Highway Thru Hell"
about a company that does rescue and towing. They have one rig called
a Rotator that costs close to $1million. Amazing how they handle some
of the wrecks.

There are several routes notorious for high winds like I10 in southern
CA. I've seen trucks laying on their sides like a kid's Tonka toys. It's
a project getting them back on their wheels without doing more damage.
Then there are the real wrecks or the all time favorite, a 13'6" trailer
halfway though a 12' underpass.

San Francisco and Seattle are also fun. Know all those chase scenes on
the hills of SF with the cars getting air as they hit the cross streets?

The first time I watched "Bullett" (sp?), it was on a 9-in TV. My
stomach still went up my throat. It was just as good as a wide-screen
movie.

Some of those intersections are sharp enough you can jam up the belly of
a 53' trailer and come to an abrupt stop. When you can't pull it off
with your big truck, you need a really big wrecker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 21:11:35 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 04/13/2015 02:20 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
We have some of those ramps along I-68 in western Maryland. I wonder how they get the truck back off the ramp once it's stopped.

One or more wreckers. I don't mean your little tow trucks. These are
Class 8 trucks with the winches and equipment to handle tractor
trailers. If you look, there are usually stanchions to chain the wrecker
to.

I never used one of the ramps but I got in a position on a hairpin turn
going up Petit Jean Mountain in Arkansas that I needed to be extracted
from. Basically the truck was trying to roll over but the tractor and
trailer were holding each other up. However, all 4 drivers on the uphill

They had film on the news a couple weeks ago of a trailer carrying three
elephants. The truck almost turned over and the driver had two of the
elephants holding it from falling over completely.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/17/2015 04:31 AM, micky wrote:
They had film on the news a couple weeks ago of a trailer carrying three
elephants. The truck almost turned over and the driver had two of the
elephants holding it from falling over completely.

It's always good to have an elephant around when you need him. Midwest
bees sometimes go on winter vacation in California. Actually, they are
leased out to pollinate the crops, and then are trucked back to the
Midwest in the spring. They're usually transported in their hives
stacked on a flatbed with a net over the load. I remember at least one
incident when the flatbed turned over. I guess what you do in a case
like that is run like hell and, if you're a nice guy, give the first
responders a heads up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 06:26:34 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 20:56:37 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 04/13/2015 11:00 AM, Oren wrote:
Some places out west have_Runaway truck ramp_ (s)
Sample pic:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/A7-Notbremsweg.jpg

Despite the gravel, this seems too short to work. The ones in Pa. are a
lot longer.

That's WAY out west

In southern California they are long... between Vegas and LA.

Even trains have had problems (once a big fire that destroyed a number
of homes - rupturing gas lines to Vegas).

Rocket parts are shipped by train across the desert (top secret)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 07:55:38 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

It's always good to have an elephant around when you need him. Midwest
bees sometimes go on winter vacation in California. Actually, they are
leased out to pollinate the crops, and then are trucked back to the
Midwest in the spring. They're usually transported in their hives
stacked on a flatbed with a net over the load. I remember at least one
incident when the flatbed turned over. I guess what you do in a case
like that is run like hell and, if you're a nice guy, give the first
responders a heads up.

The bees are migrant workers. Vegas has an interchange called the
"spaghetti bowl". All kinds of incidents creatures getting loose.

Bees, cows, pigs and trucks loaded with paint. And people have fought
political clowns to stop Yucca Mtn nuke waste site.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It's always good to have an elephant around when you need him. Midwest
bees sometimes go on winter vacation in California. Actually, they are
leased out to pollinate the crops, and then are trucked back to the
Midwest in the spring. They're usually transported in their hives
stacked on a flatbed with a net over the load. I remember at least one
incident when the flatbed turned over. I guess what you do in a case
like that is run like hell and, if you're a nice guy, give the first
responders a heads up.

The bees are migrant workers. Vegas has an interchange called the
"spaghetti bowl". All kinds of incidents creatures getting loose.

Bees, cows, pigs and trucks loaded with paint. And people have fought
political clowns to stop Yucca Mtn nuke waste site.

...._Millions of bees swarm highway after truck accident_
Apr. 17, 2015 - 2:09 - Raw video: Workers attempt to round up
honeybees after truck carrying bee crates crashes in Washington

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4179419482001/millions-of-bees-swarm-highway-after-truck-accident/?#sp=show-clips

https://tinyurl.com/mz645e9
--
you never meet a horse that needs stealing, but you meet a man that needs killin'
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/17/2015 10:15 AM, Oren wrote:
In southern California they are long... between Vegas and LA.

The long pull out of Baker to Mountain Pass, which is close to a 4000'
climb has signs suggestion people turn off their air conditioners in the
summer to prevent overheating. The car sized scorched patches on the
shoulders are from those that didn't and wished they had.