Posted to alt.home.repair

Default sand is destroying my hot water heater and washing machine

replying to trader_4 , want safe water wrote:
trader4 wrote:

IDK what the poster means by a water pit either...
I wonder what the town water folks tested, looked at and actually said?
Did they even come out? I would think first thing would be to open
nearby fire hydrants, sample what comes out there. Do neighbors have
any problem? What happened to the house during Sandy? Was it flooded
and damaged to the extent that sand could have gotten into the system
inside the house and some still be in there?
Very little to go on.

its a pit in ground that they install the water meter in. this is in
Brooklyn NY. was at water dep. getting maps to show were the pipes come
in . went and spoke a service rep. had to call 311 to get another
appointment for the to come out again they say its nothing on their end I
have another plumber conning today to put a filter.

The house had four feet of sewage and water we live in Zone B call 311 all
day they said we didn't have to leave we wouldn't have and problems we
lost all elect at 12 noon we were out a year lost all living space been
rebuilding as we can afford it had pipes blown out a year ago their are
at least three home on my street that still no one can live in out of
2500 family there must been at least 200 or more home that no one can live
in the fire Hydrant is 1/2 a block away they said they are hoping to
flush it . just had the sewer drains cleaned today it took the 3weeks to
do this. next step contact the congressman as maybe someone will give me a
way to stop this worried about the drinking water as we don't use it for
drinking or cooking anymore worried about health issues. I had to call in
the gas company last year to replace the meter that took a long
time(4months ) as they said it was fine, but it was under and was rusted
from the salt water and when they did come out. I was told that we didn't
know that it was this bad every time I called then they said that my home
was not on there list

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 10, 2015 at 2:44:05 PM UTC-4, want safe water wrote:

If you open a spigot, whatever you have, that's as close as possible
to where the water comes into the house and fill a 5 gallon bucket,
then let it settle, is there sand in that? If there is sand there,
my next focus would be on testing at fire hydrants on either side
of your house. Has the water company done that? What about the
neighbors? Any sand there? If the sand is only in your house, then
it would seem most likely that the problem is with the pipe
between your house and the water main. It could be totally unrelated
to Sandy. What kind of pipe? If it's a 75 year old house, could be
steel pipe and it's shot by now.

The odd thing I guess is that sand is coming in. IDK if that's typical
or not. I have seen it happen with pool pumps when there is a crack in
an underground line. But there the pump cycles on and off and I would
guess that the sand migrates in when the pump is off. With constant
city water pressure, water would go out, but I would think it would
take a good size hole for sand to be able to come in. At some point,
if the leak is large enough, you'd probably see water in the yard.

Really your best source for this would probably be the water dept
folks. They must have lots of experience there. Besides saying it's
not their problem, what exactly do they say? And on what basis are
they saying it's not their problem? Did they come out, draw test water
at hydrants either side of your house?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 18:44:02 +0000, want safe water
wrote in
.com

we live in Zone B

What is Zone B?
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Apparently it's the flood zone:

http://eggwork.com/blog/2012/10/29/h...matt-is-there/

More interesting is this:

"The house had four feet of sewage and water we live in Zone B call 311 all
day they said we didn't have to leave we wouldn't have and problems we
lost all elect at 12 noon:"

Sandy arrived with plenty of warning as to the severity and potential
for problems, NY/NJ coast was prime target. I don't see why anyone
needs to call 311 all day long, tying up lines, draining resources.
What are they supposed to do, stop the hurricane? And given that Zone B
is moderate risk of flooding for any hurricane, it seems rather odd that
whoever is on the other end of 311 would tell people that you wouldn't have
any problems. I could see them telling you something like if you haven't left
*already*, then you're probably better off staying there.