Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Patching holes in a steel entry door

The previous owner of my home mounted curtains on the front entry door. I took them down because they looked so bad, but now I have empty screw holes where the screws were for the brackets.

What would be the best product to use to patch those holes ? and that won't crack and fall out 2 years from now ?

It's a heavy steal entry door.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 10:25:21 PM UTC-4, sid wrote:
The previous owner of my home mounted curtains on the front entry door. I took them down because they looked so bad, but now I have empty screw holes where the screws were for the brackets.

What would be the best product to use to patch those holes ? and that won't crack and fall out 2 years from now ?

It's a heavy steal entry door.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

screw a metal plate over the area, then paint door....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/30/2015 09:25 PM, sid wrote:
The previous owner of my home mounted curtains on the front entry door. I took them down because they looked so bad, but now I have empty screw holes where the screws were for the brackets.

What would be the best product to use to patch those holes ? and that won't crack and fall out 2 years from now ?

It's a heavy steal entry door.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

Since the door is assumed to be hollow, if you put filler in the holes
it may fall out. I'd just use pop rivets and paint to match.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 19:25:17 -0700 (PDT), sid
wrote:

The previous owner of my home mounted curtains on the front entry door. I took them down because they looked so bad, but now I have empty screw holes where the screws were for the brackets.

What would be the best product to use to patch those holes ? and that won't crack and fall out 2 years from now ?

It's a heavy steal entry door.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

JB weld or other filled epoxy, sanded smooth and painted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The previous owner of my home mounted curtains on the front entry

door. I took them down because they looked so bad, but now I have empty
screw holes where the screws were for the brackets.

What would be the best product to use to patch those holes ? and that

won't crack and fall out 2 years from now ?

It's a heavy steal entry door.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

LB Weld. Then sand and paint it.

If it was my door, I'd probably just put the screws back in the door and
paint them to match.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 22:02:56 -0500, philo wrote:

On 03/30/2015 09:25 PM, sid wrote:
The previous owner of my home mounted curtains on the front entry door. I took them down because they looked so bad, but now I have empty screw holes where the screws were for the brackets.

What would be the best product to use to patch those holes ? and that won't crack and fall out 2 years from now ?

It's a heavy steal entry door.

Or a wooden steel clad door. If that, it's probably not hollow in the
corners. If really steel***, it probably is hollow.

I had neighbors with a steel door with a life-time guarantee, the kind
advertised on TV. When the burglars broke through it, the door company
said they would get a free replacement door. Life-time guarantee.

***To find out what it's made of, remove the door and put it in the
bathtub. See if it floats or not. Don't let too many bubbles come out
of the holes or too much water get inside the door.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

Since the door is assumed to be hollow, if you put filler in the holes
it may fall out.

Yes indeed.

I'd just use pop rivets and paint to match.

They have holes in the middle. (although that might be cute. )

I might glue a small square or squares of metal over the area with the
holes. with a thin layer of PC-7, JB weld or best,, 5-minute epoxy,
because you can hold it in place until it sets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/30/2015 10:25 PM, sid wrote:
The previous owner of my home mounted curtains on the front entry door. I took them down because they looked so bad, but now I have empty screw holes where the screws were for the brackets.

What would be the best product to use to patch those holes ? and that won't crack and fall out 2 years from now ?

It's a heavy steal entry door.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

I had a 1970s steel door with decorative plastic do-dads on it. They
were mounted via plastic barb-like extrusions and merely pushed into
holes in the steel. I removed the do-dads and used Bondo to fill and
slightly over fill the holes and then sand it smooth. Worked great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 9:25:21 PM UTC-5, sid wrote:
The previous owner of my home mounted curtains on the front entry door. I took them down because they looked so bad, but now I have empty screw holes where the screws were for the brackets.

What would be the best product to use to patch those holes ? and that won't crack and fall out 2 years from now ?

It's a heavy steal entry door.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

Do I have to lay to door flat to use any of these epoxies ?
Would be nice to leave the door in place and just glue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sid,

Metal hole plugs will snap into the holes and stay until you pry them
out. Come in lots of sizes.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

| Do I have to lay to door flat to use any of these epoxies ?
| Would be nice to leave the door in place and just glue.

I'd second Bill Gill's advice. Bondo is
quick and will stay almost anywhere. I
also use it to fill hinge mortises, casing
joints and other areas where spackle
or wood putty would fall out. The one
critical point with Bondo is to keep track
of time. In under five minutes you can
shear off the excess with something like
a wallpaper scraper. In a couple more
minutes you'll need a Surfiorm plane. After
maybe 10 minutes you have a very hard
surface that will take work to sand. The
point being that you don't want to glop
it on and then expect to come back
tomorrow and sand it down.

If the Bondo ever does fall out you might
consider just attaching something that will
cover the holes and looks like it belongs
there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/30/2015 10:25 PM, sid wrote:
The previous owner of my home mounted curtains on the front entry door. I took them down because they looked so bad, but now I have empty screw holes where the screws were for the brackets.

What would be the best product to use to patch those holes ? and that won't crack and fall out 2 years from now ?

It's a heavy steal entry door.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

Bondo would work, but you'd have to buy too much to just fill a couple
of holes.

I'd get the type of epoxy that is on a ribbon. You cut off what you
need, mix by kneading it, then fill the holes.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#repair-epoxies/=wjrqza

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/30/2015 10:25 PM, sid wrote:
The previous owner of my home mounted curtains on the front entry
door. I took them down because they looked so bad, but now I have
empty screw holes where the screws were for the brackets. What would be
the best product to use to patch those holes ? and
that won't crack and fall out 2 years from now ? It's a heavy steal entry
door.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

Bondo would work, but you'd have to buy too much to just fill a couple
of holes.

I'd get the type of epoxy that is on a ribbon. You cut off what you
need, mix by kneading it, then fill the holes.

Best idea yet.

dadiOH

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 10:35:43 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Bondo would work, but you'd have to buy too much to just fill a couple
of holes.

....might look a Bondo glazing / spot putty. Sandable in 30 minutes.

http://bondo.com/bondo-glazing-spot-putty-907.html
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"sid" wrote in message
The previous owner of my home mounted curtains on the front entry door. I
took them down because they looked so bad, but now I have empty screw
holes where the screws were for the brackets.

What would be the best product to use to patch those holes ? and that
won't crack and fall out 2 years from now ?

It's a heavy steal entry door.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

The holes may have a ridge from the previously installed screws. Sand the
paint surface to rough it up and then just dimple the surface around the
hole so that the hole is depressed below the surface of the door. You can
use a ball peen hammer or a hammer with a punch to depress the surface
around the hole. Then you can use Bondo or use an epoxy filler that you cut
off a roll or ribbon and knead together then fill the hole to the surface.
Any that oozes into the hole will help keep it in place just as plaster
oozing between lath strips keeps it on the wall. I have used this method
when we removed some venetian blinds from a metal door. The patches have
lasted 10 years without any problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 08:31:19 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 10:35:43 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Bondo would work, but you'd have to buy too much to just fill a couple
of holes.

...might look a Bondo glazing / spot putty. Sandable in 30 minutes.

http://bondo.com/bondo-glazing-spot-putty-907.html

The new UV cure adhesives would be the "cat's meow" for that
application (like the stuff the dentists use now instead of amalgam
fillings) - like MasterBond or Loctite UV Cure adhesive
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 11:01:50 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

I'd get the type of epoxy that is on a ribbon. You cut off what you
need, mix by kneading it, then fill the holes.

Best idea yet.

Good.

How do you make the repair not look obvious?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'd get the type of epoxy that is on a ribbon. You cut off what you
need, mix by kneading it, then fill the holes.

Best idea yet.

Good.

How do you make the repair not look obvious?

Sand and paint. Just like doing body work on a car, or patching
drywall. Fill the hole with the epoxy, Knock off the high spots with
sand paper. then add a bit of autobody glazing putty and feather it,
then paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 11:03:18 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 12:49:03 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 08:31:19 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 10:35:43 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Bondo would work, but you'd have to buy too much to just fill a couple
of holes.

...might look a Bondo glazing / spot putty. Sandable in 30 minutes.

http://bondo.com/bondo-glazing-spot-putty-907.html

The new UV cure adhesives would be the "cat's meow" for that
application (like the stuff the dentists use now instead of amalgam
fillings) - like MasterBond or Loctite UV Cure adhesive

For giggles I'd try a hardening Permatex gasket sealer. Four dabs,
cure, and paint. G

Bondo works good on residential metal door dent & dimples. Metal work
and Bondo is an art.

The only problem with bondo is it is NOT waterproof. If moisture can
get to the back it will eventually pop. That's why you fill the hole
with brazing or fiberglass or filled epoxy first. On a door moisture
should not be a serious problem, but by principal I only use "bondo"
over a sealed surface. Fixes dents, but not holes. Rusty car body?
Braze in patch or fill hole with fiber-glass/epoxy, then smooth it out
with "bondo". I like the "lightweight" filler that uses
"microballoons" instead of talc for filler. It is also more water
resistant.

If it is just a nice smooth small (like a #6) screw hole, the
suggestion of a bit of gasket sealer might not be too far off. I'd try
a paintable urethane or thermoplastic caulk dobbed in and smoothed
with a wet finger.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/30/2015 10:25 PM, sid wrote:
The previous owner of my home mounted curtains on the
front entry
door. I took them down because they looked so bad, but
now I have
empty screw holes where the screws were for the brackets.
What would be the best product to use to patch those
holes ? and
that won't crack and fall out 2 years from now ? It's a
heavy steal entry door.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

Bondo would work, but you'd have to buy too much to just
fill a couple
of holes.

I'd get the type of epoxy that is on a ribbon. You cut off
what you
need, mix by kneading it, then fill the holes.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#repair-epoxies/=wjrqza

Yabbut, he could do the same with JB weld, too

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/1/2015 3:29 AM, micky wrote:
Do I have to lay to door flat to use any of these epoxies ?
Would be nice to leave the door in place and just glue.

I'm not sure about others, but Bondo is car body filler. It
will stick good in a vertical position.

When I've used it on a fender, for example, I've always turned the car
on its side.

Bill

I had to do that with a muffler patch, on the
bottom. Problem is the blue washer fluid puddled
under the hood (bonnet for UK) and was hard to
recover.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 10:25:21 PM UTC-4, sid wrote:
The previous owner of my home mounted curtains on the front entry door. I took them down because they looked so bad,

Not suggeted yet is to put up curtains that do not look bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

The kits come with a "uv pen" that hardens the resin in seconds. The
fishin fly-tiers love it.

Very interesting, thanks.

http://www.loctite.com.au/light-cure-adhesive-4063.htm

Golly gee, now I can do my own dentistry!

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks guys, this was very informative, and I will certainly try one of these great ideas, but until then....

I just removed my glasses, and now I dont see the holes anymore. Problem solved!

- Little Mrs. Fixit