Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) I'm confused - regarding Ebay

On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 11:37:16 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Go back and read my post again. I didn't say it wasn't legitimate nor did I say I was scared of anything. I DID say it may be a ploy by eBay to scare a shopper into buying _r i g h t n o w_ in the hopes they may think the item would be gone if they don't act immediately.

I make my own decisions when to buy whether 1 or 10,000 are watching a particular item.

A "ploy" suggests an "illegitamate" action and you seemed to have
some irational "fear" that they were out to get you.

Do you have reading comprehension problems or are you just stupid?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2015 11:41 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 05:13:26 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 3/30/2015 11:33 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
IGot2P wrote:
On 3/30/2015 10:57 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 19:12:08 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

[snip]

One needs strong self control and patience shopping on eBay. Otherwise
may spend too much money by impulsive buying or reckless bidding. Next
follows buyers remorse. For some items eBay price is quite higher than
else where.

How true! Secret in bidding is set a limit and exercise self-control to
stick to it and/or use sniping software to post your max bid at the last
possible second to keep from driving up the price.

I've been an avid "eBayer" for years and gotten excellent bargains over
those years. In recent years, however, there are sellers there that
post "Buy It Now" prices that are easily three to four times suggested
retail. Nothing wrong with that since it's all open and up front. I
figure their market has to be the clowns who don't have enough sense to
come in out of the rain but have heard there are great bargains to be
had on eBay. Amazing!

What bothers me most is selling prices that are very reasonable - or
even unreasonably low, and then insanely exorbitant shipping fees.

Something that retails for $20, BIN price of $0.99 and shipping of $60
- for somthing that weighs a few ounces and will fit in a padded
8.5x11 envelope.

Agreed, but those charges are plainly stated and if you're willing (or
dumb enough) to pay them, who's the problem? I'm fairly reasonable when
judging other people's shipping charges. If I'm selling you an iPad or
Netbook, what's fair? You and I both want it to get to you, I have to
wrap it properly, schlep it to the post office of UPS store, pay their
charges, etc. etc. My time has value, just like yours. Maybe I'm
spoiled because I'm self-employed - not retail nor internet sales - and
my knowledge, skills and time are the only thing I have to sell. I sell
them by the 1/10th hour increment. If I'm going to "gift wrap",
transport to the USPS, a Flat Rate Priority Mail pack with the vintage
whatever you just bought from me for $15 that will cost (cheapest way)
$12.80 or whatever to ship, don't expect me to charge you $13.00 to
ship. That's why they call it shipping AND HANDLINGg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 3/30/2015 11:33 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
IGot2P wrote:
wrote:

[...]

True - I'm self employed too - I check the shipping cost before I
place a bid, for sure. Sure makes you wonder how the Chinese can ship
something half way 'round the world for less than I could send a
letter from Windsor Ont to Detroit Michigan!!!!
I bought some electronic components for less than $3, that would have
cost me a minimum of $7 - more likely $15 anywhere in North America,
and a minimum of another $7-$12 to ship from Texas, California, or
Florida- and the shipping was included!! Shipping from Toronto would
have cost me more than $3 - even picking it up in Cambridge would have
cost me that in gas alone!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 07:20:28 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 10:22:33 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

I live in a clearing in the woods 12 miles from a town of less
than 3,000 in a pretty isolated area of north central Arkansas . We
have at least 2 computer sales/repair shops and I have a 6Mb/s
internet connection . I buy a lot of stuff on ebay including this
keyboard simply because it's usually cheaper delivered to my door
than I can buy it in town . Today I received a pair of carbide
scribers that I would have paid double at the local industrial
supply . Recently saved several hundred bucks on a DSLR camera ... I
buy only BIN and free shipping .
--
Snag

Maybe you can add to your life story at a later date?

Maybe you can just scroll past my posts if you don't like what I have to say

I told him the same thing. He's a complainer.

. The point was that we have both things Jerry complained about NOT having ,
and in a small isolated community .

I got that from the first post.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Agreed, but those charges are plainly stated and if you're willing (or
dumb enough) to pay them, who's the problem? I'm fairly reasonable when
judging other people's shipping charges. If I'm selling you an iPad or
Netbook, what's fair? You and I both want it to get to you, I have to
wrap it properly, schlep it to the post office of UPS store, pay their
charges, etc. etc. My time has value, just like yours. Maybe I'm
spoiled because I'm self-employed - not retail nor internet sales - and
my knowledge, skills and time are the only thing I have to sell. I sell
them by the 1/10th hour increment. If I'm going to "gift wrap",

One of the things I learned with Amazon or maybe Ebay is that if I'm
sending a gift, even to my brother where gift-wrapping is not needed, I
have to mark it as a gift, and then refuse the actual giftwrapping.
There is no charge for this at whatever site I'm thinking of.

When I didn't mark it as a gift, they gave no indication who sent it!!!!
And my brother couldn't figure it out!

Confused LSMFT Home Repair 57 March 3rd 10 05:28 PM
I'm a little confused... Sunworshipper[_2_] Metalworking 2 September 24th 08 06:05 AM
I'm a bit confused here? George UK diy 3 April 30th 08 05:44 PM
Ebay Seller stanp2323 Worst Ebay Experience EVER be careful Bond[_2_] Woodworking 0 July 23rd 07 11:29 PM
I'm confused about Btu ? john Smith UK diy 6 February 15th 05 12:01 PM