DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   (OT) I'm confused - regarding Ebay (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/379421-ot-im-confused-regarding-ebay.html)

Bob_Villa March 31st 15 12:22 AM

(OT) I'm confused - regarding Ebay

On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 5:37:17 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Why is it, that an Ebay item which is a "BUY IT NOW" will say something
like "10 people watching". I can understand this on a "bid" item, but
why are they watching the item if they could have already bought it? Is
this just some sort of gimmic that ebay uses to make the item look more
important than it is? Or maybe the seller does it??????
It seems very stupid either way!!!!

Just curious, if any of you know.....
I cound not find anything in the Ebay rules and information about this.

I would suggest, I don't actually know...this has to do with how many views by eBay members. I bought dozens of items from eBay and have almost always did "Buy it now"...I guess I don't see why this should bother you?

Ralph Mowery March 31st 15 12:24 AM

(OT) I'm confused - regarding Ebay

I don't know the way ebay does it, but sometimes I will watch an item with a
buy it now.

I do this for several reasons. I have not made up my mind to buy it, I want
to mark an item while I look for something similar and maybe at a beter
price. It makes it easy to find that item if I do decide to buy it.
There is one item that I have been watching for a long time. They have lots
of them , and I have ordered from them twice over a years period of time.
Makes it easy for me to find them again.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] March 31st 15 12:47 AM

On 3/30/2015 7:35 PM, wrote:
Why is it, that an Ebay item which is a "BUY IT NOW" will say something
like "10 people watching". I can understand this on a "bid" item, but
why are they watching the item if they could have already bought it? Is
this just some sort of gimmic that ebay uses to make the item look more
important than it is? Or maybe the seller does it??????
It seems very stupid either way!!!!

Just curious, if any of you know.....
I cound not find anything in the Ebay rules and information about this.

I buy stuff on Ebay. I've also wondered about
this. It is possible some folks do put items
on the wish list, and wish they had the money.
Or as you say, Ebay is hyping itself. Lets both
hope someone knows. I'm also curious.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
..
www.lds.org
..
..

Tony Hwang March 31st 15 02:11 AM

(OT) I'm confused - regarding Ebay

wrote:
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 16:22:59 -0700 (PDT), bob_villa
wrote:

Just curious, if any of you know.....
I cound not find anything in the Ebay rules and information about this.

I would suggest, I don't actually know...this has to do with how many views by
eBay members. I bought dozens of items from eBay and have almost always did
"Buy it now"...I guess I don't see why this should bother you?

It dont bother me, it just seems stupid. If I am interested in an item,
I just bookmark it, while I look for a better priced one. I ONLY buy
"Buy it Now" items. I dont think I have ever won a "bid" item. My
internet is too slow to bid at the last moment.

Hi,
I use eBay quite often, have over 700 feedbacks from mostly buying.
Mostly I get hard to find stuffs when they show up there. BIN being
watched is while holding onto it, we can peruse more for better deals or
choices. Just put it on watched list and if I don't need it, just delete
from the list. No need to bookmark it on Browser. You must have
many different curious things?, LOL!

[email protected] March 31st 15 02:28 AM

(OT) I'm confused - regarding Ebay

i've called my congressman,
and he said he would start an investigation

marc

[email protected] March 31st 15 02:54 AM

wrote:

Just curious, if any of you know.....
I cound not find anything in the Ebay rules and information about this.

I would suggest, I don't actually know...this has to do with how many views by
eBay members. I bought dozens of items from eBay and have almost always did
"Buy it now"...I guess I don't see why this should bother you?

It dont bother me, it just seems stupid. If I am interested in an item,
I just bookmark it, while I look for a better priced one. I ONLY buy
"Buy it Now" items. I dont think I have ever won a "bid" item. My
internet is too slow to bid at the last moment.

You sure don't have to bid at the last moment to win a bid. You
decide how much you are willing to go, at max, and place a bid. Ebay
auto-bids for you. Willing to pay 19.99 and current bid is 3.13? Your
bid will go in ar $4. Someone else is willing to pay $7, you will end
up at $8. Someone else bids 17, your bid goes to 18, and if nobody
bids more than $18, you got it for $18.
Somebody bids $19.50 at the last minute, your bid hits $19.99 and it's
yours.
Somebody bids $20 and he gets it.

As for the "watching" common practice is to "watch" what you are
interested in while you look for a better deal. Then you go to your
"watch list" and pick the one you want to buy.

Ebay lets you know if a "buy it now" or auction item is going to be
removed shortly.
"bookmarking" does not give you any of those advantages.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] March 31st 15 03:10 AM

On 3/30/2015 9:28 PM, wrote:
i've called my congressman,
and he said he would start an investigation

marc

A Dem congress critter would have called for
increased funding for study.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
..
www.lds.org
..
..

itsjoannotjoann March 31st 15 03:12 AM

(OT) I'm confused - regarding Ebay

On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 5:37:17 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Why is it, that an Ebay item which is a "BUY IT NOW" will say something
like "10 people watching".

Just curious, if any of you know.....
I cound not find anything in the Ebay rules and information about this.

I shop on eBay quite a bit and just guessing that it's a ploy to make you decide to buy the item RIGHT NOW. Sort of a trick to scare you that one of those 10 people watching that item will buy that it and knock you out of your chance to own it.

[email protected] March 31st 15 03:18 AM

(OT) I'm confused - regarding Ebay

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 19:12:08 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 5:37:17 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Why is it, that an Ebay item which is a "BUY IT NOW" will say something
like "10 people watching".

Just curious, if any of you know.....
I cound not find anything in the Ebay rules and information about this.

I shop on eBay quite a bit and just guessing that it's a ploy to make you decide to buy the item RIGHT NOW. Sort of a trick to scare you that one of those 10 people watching that item will buy that it and knock you out of your chance to own it.

Nope. It's legit. When there are "more than 30" avaialble and 5
watching, what are you scared of???????

bob haller March 31st 15 03:42 AM

wrote:

On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 5:37:17 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Why is it, that an Ebay item which is a "BUY IT NOW" will say something
like "10 people watching".

Just curious, if any of you know.....
I cound not find anything in the Ebay rules and information about this.

I shop on eBay quite a bit and just guessing that it's a ploy to make you decide to buy the item RIGHT NOW. Sort of a trick to scare you that one of those 10 people watching that item will buy that it and knock you out of your chance to own it.

Nope. It's legit. When there are "more than 30" avaialble and 5
watching, what are you scared of???????

i watch buy now occasionally. sometimes i am looking for a better deal, sometimes waitiingon cash to buy something

[email protected] March 31st 15 04:02 AM

(OT) I'm confused - regarding Ebay

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 21:47:23 -0600, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Thats what I do, but those robot bids always seem to bid in the last
seconds. The last time I bid on something, a bid was placed with 3
seconds before closing. That outbid me.

So, would you have bid higher????
If so, bid higher!!!!

As for the "watching" common practice is to "watch" what you are
interested in while you look for a better deal. Then you go to your
"watch list" and pick the one you want to buy.

Ebay lets you know if a "buy it now" or auction item is going to be
removed shortly.
"bookmarking" does not give you any of those advantages.

I suppose so, but I'm on dialup and the bookmarks are quicker than
wading thru ebay. I delete old ebay bookmarks later. I probably only buy
about 15 to 20 things a year. Mostly just stuff I cant get in a store,
like parts for old cars or my 1950's tractor. And maybe some computer
part because we have no computer stores around here. When you live in
the country, there is no high speed internet and are no computer stores
nearby.

mike[_22_] March 31st 15 04:11 AM

wrote:

[...]

Does the bid increment matter?
I seem to recall a similar situation where I didn't get the item
because I hadn't bid at least $20.50, (in your example) the minimum bid
increment. Lower actual bid got it.
There also seems to be some odd relationship between when the first
bid from that buyer was entered in relation to mine.

Terry Coombs[_2_] March 31st 15 04:22 AM

wrote:

I suppose so, but I'm on dialup and the bookmarks are quicker than
wading thru ebay. I delete old ebay bookmarks later. I probably only
buy about 15 to 20 things a year. Mostly just stuff I cant get in a
store, like parts for old cars or my 1950's tractor. And maybe some
computer part because we have no computer stores around here. When
you live in the country, there is no high speed internet and are no
computer stores nearby.

I live in a clearing in the woods 12 miles from a town of less than 3,000
in a pretty isolated area of north central Arkansas . We have at least 2
computer sales/repair shops and I have a 6Mb/s internet connection .
I buy a lot of stuff on ebay including this keyboard simply because it's
usually cheaper delivered to my door than I can buy it in town . Today I
received a pair of carbide scribers that I would have paid double at the
local industrial supply . Recently saved several hundred bucks on a DSLR
camera ... I buy only BIN and free shipping .
--
Snag

Bob_Villa March 31st 15 04:37 AM

On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 10:22:33 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

I live in a clearing in the woods 12 miles from a town of less than 3,000
in a pretty isolated area of north central Arkansas . We have at least 2
computer sales/repair shops and I have a 6Mb/s internet connection .
I buy a lot of stuff on ebay including this keyboard simply because it's
usually cheaper delivered to my door than I can buy it in town . Today I
received a pair of carbide scribers that I would have paid double at the
local industrial supply . Recently saved several hundred bucks on a DSLR
camera ... I buy only BIN and free shipping .
--
Snag

Maybe you can add to your life story at a later date?

[email protected] March 31st 15 04:57 AM

wrote:

I shop on eBay quite a bit and just guessing that it's a ploy to make you

decide to buy the item RIGHT NOW. Sort of a trick to scare you that one
of those 10 people watching that item will buy that it and knock you out
of your chance to own it.

---

Thats what I was thinking !!!!!

I wanted to buy something thos morning. It had 8 watchers listed. I
had to call my bank and transfer funds to the debit card (which I only
use online), first, then wait at least 6 hours for the bank to get the
funds available on the card (not sure why it takes them that long). I
lucked out, the item was not sold, so I got it about 8 hours later. It
was a one of a kind used item, so there were not more to choose from. I
had actually expected it to be gone by the time the bank got the money
transferred.

I would never use my *regular* debit or credit card online. Too risky.
I just keep this one card for online shopping and never keep more than
$10 in it.

itsjoannotjoann March 31st 15 05:14 AM

wrote:

I shop on eBay quite a bit and just guessing that it's a ploy to make you decide to buy the item RIGHT NOW. Sort of a trick to scare you that one of those 10 people watching that item will buy that it and knock you out of your chance to own it.

Nope. It's legit. When there are "more than 30" avaialble and 5
watching, what are you scared of???????

Go back and read my post again. I didn't say it wasn't legitimate nor did I say I was scared of anything. I DID say it may be a ploy by eBay to scare a shopper into buying _r i g h t n o w_ in the hopes they may think the item would be gone if they don't act immediately.

I make my own decisions when to buy whether 1 or 10,000 are watching a particular item.

IGot2P[_3_] March 31st 15 05:18 AM

wrote:

[...]

I have been on ebay since 1996 and I watch BIN's a lot. The reason that
I do it is because it is something that I want but I think the price is
too high so if it goes off unsold it will show me where it it relisted
(if it was) and I can go in and see if the price has been lowered and
buy it if it has been.

micky March 31st 15 05:31 AM

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:35:46 -0600, wrote:

Why is it, that an Ebay item which is a "BUY IT NOW" will say something
like "10 people watching". I can understand this on a "bid" item, but
why are they watching the item if they could have already bought it? Is

They're trying to make up their minds.

Also, if the page is close or if the browser crashes, you can find the
item again by looking in your list of watched items. How else can you
easily make a note of what you're interested in?

this just some sort of gimmic that ebay uses to make the item look more
important than it is? Or maybe the seller does it??????

Watch something and you can see the watch count increase by 1.

It seems very stupid either way!!!!

Just curious, if any of you know.....
I cound not find anything in the Ebay rules and information about this.

Years ago, I had a program that would tell me iirc how many people were
watching something on Ebay. Or it told me something, I don't know what
elsse it could have been.

I think that program was lost but might be findable with google.

Tony Hwang March 31st 15 05:33 AM

wrote:

[...]

One needs strong self control and patience shopping on eBay. Otherwise
may spend too much money by impulsive buying or reckless bidding. Next
follows buyers remorse. For some items eBay price is quite higher than
else where.

micky March 31st 15 05:35 AM

(OT) I'm confused - regarding Ebay

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 21:54:37 -0400, wrote:

Ebay lets you know if a "buy it now" or auction item is going to be
removed shortly.
"bookmarking" does not give you any of those advantages.

I used to get a lot more warning emails from ebay than I do now. There
was an intervening period when I got the emails but some were late.

micky March 31st 15 05:39 AM

wrote:

[...]

That happens to me too, but really, one should not be tempted into
bidding more just because someone has outbid you. You should know when
you start how much it is worth to you, bid that, hope you get it for
less, but not bid more just because someone else is bidding more.

People, including to a small extent me, don't follow this advice because
they get caught up in the spirit of an auction. When I was in college I
would go to the police bicycle auctions in Chicago, and I saw people
bidding more than the bike cost retail. Either they didn't know, or
they got carried away.

(I bought about 4 bikes over the years and sold 3 of them for a profit.)

As for the "watching" common practice is to "watch" what you are
interested in while you look for a better deal. Then you go to your
"watch list" and pick the one you want to buy.

Ebay lets you know if a "buy it now" or auction item is going to be
removed shortly.
"bookmarking" does not give you any of those advantages.

I suppose so, but I'm on dialup and the bookmarks are quicker than
wading thru ebay. I delete old ebay bookmarks later. I probably only buy

That's you, but other people use the Watch list for the same purpose.
and that was your quesiton.

micky March 31st 15 05:47 AM

(OT) I'm confused - regarding Ebay

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 00:31:38 -0400, micky
wrote:

this just some sort of gimmic that ebay uses to make the item look more
important than it is? Or maybe the seller does it??????

Watch something and you can see the watch count increase by 1.

I don't remember if the watch count increases instantaneously. I think
it happens quite soon, like when I reload the page, even if that's
immediately. Try it in the middle of the night, and with something no
one would ever buy, and you can see the watch count go up.

Watch something that no one is watching and you can see the watch count
go to 1.

That should convince everyone.

Vic Smith March 31st 15 06:39 AM

(OT) I'm confused - regarding Ebay

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 22:33:50 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

One needs strong self control and patience shopping on eBay. Otherwise
may spend too much money by impulsive buying or reckless bidding. Next
follows buyers remorse. For some items eBay price is quite higher than
else where.

Yes, you can see it in the bidding. I don't pay attention to others'
bidding, unless it has exceeded what I'm willing to pay.
I only snipe items (5 seconds and less), bidding my maximum price.
If you're not willing to snipe, almost always somebody will "test"
your bid, costing you money.
Never had regrets. If you're willing to pay more than me, it's yours.
And yes, I've seen items sell for much more than retail price.
People "watching" an item is a reflection of how many people have it
on their "Watch List."

Unquestionably Confused March 31st 15 11:13 AM

On 3/30/2015 11:33 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
IGot2P wrote:
On 3/30/2015 10:57 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 19:12:08 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

[snip]

One needs strong self control and patience shopping on eBay. Otherwise
may spend too much money by impulsive buying or reckless bidding. Next
follows buyers remorse. For some items eBay price is quite higher than
else where.

How true! Secret in bidding is set a limit and exercise self-control to
stick to it and/or use sniping software to post your max bid at the last
possible second to keep from driving up the price.

I've been an avid "eBayer" for years and gotten excellent bargains over
those years. In recent years, however, there are sellers there that
post "Buy It Now" prices that are easily three to four times suggested
retail. Nothing wrong with that since it's all open and up front. I
figure their market has to be the clowns who don't have enough sense to
come in out of the rain but have heard there are great bargains to be
had on eBay. Amazing!

Moe DeLoughan March 31st 15 12:22 PM

wrote:

Just curious, if any of you know.....
I cound not find anything in the Ebay rules and information about this.

I would suggest, I don't actually know...this has to do with how many views by
eBay members. I bought dozens of items from eBay and have almost always did
"Buy it now"...I guess I don't see why this should bother you?

It dont bother me, it just seems stupid. If I am interested in an item,
I just bookmark it, while I look for a better priced one. I ONLY buy
"Buy it Now" items. I dont think I have ever won a "bid" item. My
internet is too slow to bid at the last moment.

You bookmark it? You're doing it the hard way, dude. This is what the
watch list is designed for. When you're interested in an item on ebay,
add it to your watch list so you can monitor it. You can add other
listings for the same item by other sellers to the list, which makes
it simple to compare prices/shipping. It's also a good way to monitor
price changes by certain sellers.

trader_4 March 31st 15 12:48 PM

On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 12:31:41 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:35:46 -0600, wrote:

Why is it, that an Ebay item which is a "BUY IT NOW" will say something
like "10 people watching". I can understand this on a "bid" item, but
why are they watching the item if they could have already bought it? Is

They're trying to make up their minds.

Also, if the page is close or if the browser crashes, you can find the
item again by looking in your list of watched items. How else can you
easily make a note of what you're interested in?

That's how I use it. If I see something I might be interested in,
I add it to my watch list. Then it's there, easy to find again.
Seems very natural to me.
Also from both buying and selling stuff on Ebay, I see no indication that
it's being manipulated by Ebay to increase interest. Some sellers
might try to do it on the theory that more watchers would cause some
people to figure they better buy it. But Ebay has some fairly sophisticated
systems in place to detect shill bidding and similar, so I'd think they
would catch up with you and boot you before long if you tried to do it
regularly.

Terry Coombs[_2_] March 31st 15 01:20 PM

bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 10:22:33 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

I live in a clearing in the woods 12 miles from a town of less
than 3,000 in a pretty isolated area of north central Arkansas . We
have at least 2 computer sales/repair shops and I have a 6Mb/s
internet connection . I buy a lot of stuff on ebay including this
keyboard simply because it's usually cheaper delivered to my door
than I can buy it in town . Today I received a pair of carbide
scribers that I would have paid double at the local industrial
supply . Recently saved several hundred bucks on a DSLR camera ... I
buy only BIN and free shipping .
--
Snag

Maybe you can add to your life story at a later date?

Maybe you can just scroll past my posts if you don't like what I have to say
.. The point was that we have both things Jerry complained about NOT having ,
and in a small isolated community .

--
Snag

Terry Coombs[_2_] March 31st 15 01:23 PM

Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 3/30/2015 8:58 PM, wrote:
It dont bother me, it just seems stupid. If I am interested in an
item, I just bookmark it, while I look for a better priced one. I
ONLY buy "Buy it Now" items. I dont think I have ever won a "bid"
item. My internet is too slow to bid at the last moment.

You bookmark it? You're doing it the hard way, dude. This is what the
watch list is designed for. When you're interested in an item on ebay,
add it to your watch list so you can monitor it. You can add other
listings for the same item by other sellers to the list, which makes
it simple to compare prices/shipping. It's also a good way to monitor
price changes by certain sellers.

Yeah , like the seller who jumped the price of the camera I was watching
by a hundred bucks the day before I got the money in hand to buy it .
--
Snag

Ralph Mowery March 31st 15 02:56 PM

"micky" wrote in message
Thats what I do, but those robot bids always seem to bid in the last
seconds. The last time I bid on something, a bid was placed with 3
seconds before closing. That outbid me.

That happens to me too, but really, one should not be tempted into
bidding more just because someone has outbid you. You should know when
you start how much it is worth to you, bid that, hope you get it for
less, but not bid more just because someone else is bidding more.

People, including to a small extent me, don't follow this advice because
they get caught up in the spirit of an auction. When I was in college I
would go to the police bicycle auctions in Chicago, and I saw people
bidding more than the bike cost retail. Either they didn't know, or
they got carried away.

Fot the bidding auctions I usually wait for the last day or two to see what
the bidding is. If more than I think what it is worth to me, I don't bid.
If still under, then I put in a bid for the maximum I am willing to pay.
Sometimes a winner,sometimes not. Usually within a month or less the same
type item will show up again and I will have another chance at it. I did
get a couple of things that I did not really want by putting in a low bid
and no one else out bid me. Sold some of them at a local flea market for
more than I paid. It is interisting to go back and look at the bidding
history. I have seen the automatic bidders sent the price way up in the
last minuit or so.

I learned a lot about the auctiions when I was in junior high school A
company ws going out of business near where I live. A friends dad was the
manager of the company. So I went to watch. On a set of kitchen knives the
price got bidded up and the auction people whispered to each other that the
set only cost about $ 15 and the bid was about $ 20. The man in charge said
if they were dumb enough to bid that much, that is what it would cost them.

Ed Pawlowski March 31st 15 03:27 PM

On 3/31/2015 9:56 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I learned a lot about the auctiions when I was in junior high school A
company ws going out of business near where I live. A friends dad was the
manager of the company. So I went to watch. On a set of kitchen knives the
price got bidded up and the auction people whispered to each other that the
set only cost about $ 15 and the bid was about $ 20. The man in charge said
if they were dumb enough to bid that much, that is what it would cost them.

The purpose of an auction is to sell items at the highest possible
price, yet a lot of people think it is to get bargains. If you get a
very competitive person bidding, they will go high just to win even
though the value went by the wayside 5 bids ago. Some people get caught
up in the frenzy.

I do occasionally buy some BIN stuff if it is something I need at a good
price. I had an air compressor down due to a bad solenoid valve. It is
a $250 item through the dealer, but was $100 for one with a blemish on
the label from an eBay dealer. Could I have bid and got it cheaper?
Maybe, but I had a piece of equipment down and could not wait.

Tony Hwang March 31st 15 03:31 PM

IGot2P wrote:
On 3/30/2015 10:57 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 19:12:08 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

It is getting tougher and tougher to find bargains at eBay these days.
Some sellers gouge buyers with shipping charge too. Being in Canada now
exchange rate sucks.

[email protected] March 31st 15 05:28 PM

wrote:

[...]

The bid increment does seem to be somewhat arbitrary.

[email protected] March 31st 15 05:32 PM

(OT) I'm confused - regarding Ebay

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 09:56:23 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

An old auctioneer friend of mine had a saying -"an item is worth
exactly what the highest bdder on a particular day is willing to pay -
not one penny more, or one penny less"

[email protected] March 31st 15 05:37 PM

(OT) I'm confused - regarding Ebay

wrote:

I shop on eBay quite a bit and just guessing that it's a ploy to make you decide to buy the item RIGHT NOW. Sort of a trick to scare you that one of those 10 people watching that item will buy that it and knock you out of your chance to own it.

Nope. It's legit. When there are "more than 30" avaialble and 5
watching, what are you scared of???????

Go back and read my post again. I didn't say it wasn't legitimate nor did I say I was scared of anything. I DID say it may be a ploy by eBay to scare a shopper into buying _r i g h t n o w_ in the hopes they may think the item would be gone if they don't act immediately.

I make my own decisions when to buy whether 1 or 10,000 are watching a particular item.

A "ploy" suggests an "illegitamate" action and you seemed to have
some irational "fear" that they were out to get you.

[email protected] March 31st 15 05:41 PM

(OT) I'm confused - regarding Ebay

IGot2P wrote:
On 3/30/2015 10:57 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 19:12:08 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

What bothers me most is selling prices that are very reasonable - or
even unreasonably low, and then insanely exorbitant shipping fees.

Something that retails for $20, BIN price of $0.99 and shipping of $60
- for somthing that weighs a few ounces and will fit in a padded
8.5x11 envelope.

Ed Pawlowski March 31st 15 08:00 PM

(OT) I'm confused - regarding Ebay

On 3/31/2015 11:51 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Sounds like a real estate business. No inventory and all service.
Last house I sold I did it myself and saved the 6 % they charge.

Real estate can go either way. The better agents invest their time and
their money in advertising. Some will get you a better price than you
can do on your own. Buyers want that 6% discount from the FSBO too.

Some agents will also try to get you to sell at any price. 6% of a
low-ball is better than 6% of nothing.

SMS March 31st 15 08:33 PM

On 3/31/2015 12:00 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/31/2015 11:51 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Sounds like a real estate business. No inventory and all service.
Last house I sold I did it myself and saved the 6 % they charge.

Real estate can go either way. The better agents invest their time and
their money in advertising. Some will get you a better price than you
can do on your own. Buyers want that 6% discount from the FSBO too.

Some agents will also try to get you to sell at any price. 6% of a
low-ball is better than 6% of nothing.

The real estate commission is not fixed by law at 6%. Most brokers are
willing to take a lower commission except on very low priced properties.
You just have to shop around and ask for it. This is especially the case
on higher priced properties.

In my area, where a 50 year old 2000 square foot tract home sells for $2
million, very few people pay "full commission." 6% would mean $120,000
commission (split four ways). This would be considered insane. 4% is
more common. On luxury homes, which can cost three to ten times as much,
the commission is even lower.

That said, you probably don't get as much for your house when you sell
it yourself versus using an agent.