Posted to alt.home.repair

Default High line voltage

On Friday, July 30, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Eric Law wrote:
Hello!

I've just bought a house in a new development and have an unusual problem -
my line voltage is too high! It measures about 125V with a good meter
(Fluke 80-something) and no unusual loads. I've checked it at several times
during the day/week and it doesn't seem to vary much. We seem to be going
through light bulbs at a rapid rate already, and I'm a bit concerned about
all the electronic equipment in the house.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of problem? What have you been able
to do about it? Will whining to the electric utility accomplish anything?

TIA!

Eric Law

I've noticed that someone said below, electronics "handle this with ease"....false...not sensitive electronics such as automation systems, network products, satellite boxes, modems....etc. I suggest an AVR unit to protect these somewhat expensive devices. Also, computerized devices can act crazy without the proper voltage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/26/2015 12:03 PM, wrote:

LOOK AT THE DATE!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2015 1:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

Most electronic devices today use switching power supplies and can just
about handle any input voltage and frequency. However, some can't. A
few years ago my computer speakers started squawking for no apparent
reason, even with no input. After checking everything out, I noticed the
line voltage was about 125, and even sometimes, a little higher. I put
the wallwart on a Variac and lowered the voltage. Sure enough, the
squawking went away under about 124. I called Duke Power and the answer
droid took the info. About 10 minutes later (must have been a slow day)
I got a call from a tech type and he wanted to know why I thought the
voltage was too high and how I was measuring it. Once he realized that I
wasn't a quack, he said that it sounds like the problem is at his end
and they would adjust it. I watched the voltage over the next few hours
and it slowly went down to about 116. But after all that, I found
different 12VDC wallwart and I am now using it on the speakers. With
this wallwart the voltage can go to 130 without any problems. These are
both analog wallwarts. I know, since then, the voltage has gone up a
bit, so changing the wallwart was just being proactive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 1:04:02 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Ok, clarification accepted. Any electronics fit for sale, even the
cheapest electronics, handle 125V instead of 120V.
Good grief.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
Ok, clarification accepted. Any electronics fit for sale, even the
cheapest electronics, handle 125V instead of 120V.
Good grief.

The modern stuff probably will. I have an old amp that has some expensive
tubes in it and the main cause of bad tubes is burnt out filiments. They
are critical as not to go over 5 volts. The amplifier is about 45 years
old.

I bought one of the inexpensive voltmeters from China for the line voltage
that stays pluged in all the time. It surprise me that it keeps right in
step with my two Fluke meters the times I have checked it.
It ususally stays around 122 to 123 volts. I did see it at 118 one very
cold day. Guess the power grid could not take that cold day.

..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 17:49:11 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

I bought one of the inexpensive voltmeters from China for the line voltage
that stays pluged in all the time. It surprise me that it keeps right in
step with my two Fluke meters the times I have checked it.
It ususally stays around 122 to 123 volts. I did see it at 118 one very
cold day. Guess the power grid could not take that cold day.

The guy cranking the dynamo probably had stiff muscles from the cold.
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 27, 2015 at 5:14:28 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
A lot of homes have high voltage when they are built, but the wires
corrode and they have calcium deposits inside them, sand the connections
are constricted, and after 16 years the voltage goes down to normal.

Yes. You know how a digital multimeter gives you all sorts of phantom voltage readings?

This is why.

When electrons run down the wire and bump into calcium deposits, some of them bounce out of the wire and spill around. There's never enough to be a hazard, but they certainly confuse sensitive equipment.

That's why I reach for the old Simpson 260D when my digital is giving a strange result.

(everything in the post I quoted and my post is BS, except I do still use my old Simpson)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 11:10:32 -0700, trader_4 wrote:

...snip....

Ok, clarification accepted. Any electronics fit for sale, even the
cheapest electronics, handle 125V instead of 120V.
Good grief.

I had 127Vac where we used to live, the incandescent light bulbs had
NOTICEABLY shorter lifetimes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/27/2015 9:19 AM, TimR wrote:
On Friday, March 27, 2015 at 5:14:28 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
A lot of homes have high voltage when they are built, but the wires
corrode and they have calcium deposits inside them, sand the connections
are constricted, and after 16 years the voltage goes down to normal.

Yes. You know how a digital multimeter gives you all sorts of phantom voltage readings?

This is why.

When electrons run down the wire and bump into calcium deposits, some of them bounce out of the wire and spill around. There's never enough to be a hazard, but they certainly confuse sensitive equipment.

That's why I reach for the old Simpson 260D when my digital is giving a strange result.

(everything in the post I quoted and my post is BS, except I do still use my old Simpson)

We all know that calcium is a conductor like sodium and
potassium and lithium. So, the electrons would go right
through.

To explain the ghost phantom voltages, you have to blame
Bush and the experimental programs. That, or the hackers
in Soviet Union.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote:
On Friday, March 27, 2015 at 5:14:28 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
A lot of homes have high voltage when they are built, but the wires
corrode and they have calcium deposits inside them, sand the connections
are constricted, and after 16 years the voltage goes down to normal.

Yes. You know how a digital multimeter gives you all sorts of phantom voltage readings?

This is why.

When electrons run down the wire and bump into calcium deposits, some of them bounce out of the wire and spill around. There's never enough to be a hazard, but they certainly confuse sensitive equipment.

That's why I reach for the old Simpson 260D when my digital is giving a strange result.

(everything in the post I quoted and my post is BS, except I do still use my old Simpson)

Huh?
The reason digital meter is more sensitive is 'cause it's input
impedance is very high vs. analog ones. Like 25k Ohm vs. in the multi
Meg Ohm range. My old series 5 Simpson 260 is still often used as well
as Fluke.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 07:53:30 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 11:10:32 -0700, trader_4 wrote:

...snip....

Ok, clarification accepted. Any electronics fit for sale, even the
cheapest electronics, handle 125V instead of 120V.
Good grief.

I had 127Vac where we used to live, the incandescent light bulbs had
NOTICEABLY shorter lifetimes.

The old "rural standard" was 130-135 volts. Using "rural" bulbs in
town made them last a LONG time. A lot of "rough duty" long-life
bulbs today are 135 volt bulbs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 15:04:35 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

TimR wrote:
[...]

If you measure a circuit with a load on it, the high impedence
digital meters will read accurately - with no "phantom effect"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 06:19:51 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

On Friday, March 27, 2015 at 5:14:28 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
A lot of homes have high voltage when they are built, but the wires
corrode and they have calcium deposits inside them, sand the connections
are constricted, and after 16 years the voltage goes down to normal.

Yes. You know how a digital multimeter gives you all sorts of phantom voltage readings?

This is why.

When electrons run down the wire and bump into calcium deposits, some of them bounce out of the wire and spill around. There's never enough to be a hazard, but they certainly confuse sensitive equipment.

Sometimes the electric company, or the automakers, use cheap wires with
green electrons in the m, and when they leak out, it makes everything
green.

That's why I reach for the old Simpson 260D when my digital is giving a strange result.

(everything in the post I quoted and my post is BS, except I do still use my old Simpson)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:

The modern stuff probably will. I have an old amp that has some expensive
tubes in it and the main cause of bad tubes is burnt out filiments. They
are critical as not to go over 5 volts. The amplifier is about 45 years
old.

FIVE volts? Did you mean maybe 6.3 volts?

Well, maybe filiments run at 5 volts, but filaments were specified to
run at 6.3 volts, commonly referred to as 6 volts.

See: http://www.ampage.org/td/vtd6v6.html

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

Ralph Mowery wrote:

The modern stuff probably will. I have an old amp that has some
expensive
tubes in it and the main cause of bad tubes is burnt out filiments. They
are critical as not to go over 5 volts. The amplifier is about 45 years
old.

FIVE volts? Did you mean maybe 6.3 volts?

Well, maybe filiments run at 5 volts, but filaments were specified to run
at 6.3 volts, commonly referred to as 6 volts.

See: http://www.ampage.org/td/vtd6v6.html

Jeff

No, I ment FIVE volts like it says. They are 3-500Z tubes used in a Drake
L4b amp. Don't recall the prices without looking them up, but somewhere
around $ 150 to $ 200 per tube.

Over the years filaments have been all the way from about 1.5 volts to 117
volts with many different voltages between. This is just the common
household equipment such as radios and TV sets. Even the old "all American
5" AM radio had a 35 and 50 volt tube in it. Even in the years the 6.3
volt tubes were common, it was not unusual to have a 5 volt tube in the
equipment with its own 5 volt winding on the transformer. Usually it was
the rectifier tube.

OT High voltage line Terry Home Repair 4 June 24th 07 04:53 PM
MR16 - low voltage or line voltage [email protected] Home Repair 4 January 11th 06 06:24 PM
KDS VS-7P no high voltage Hank Electronics Repair 0 January 12th 05 01:26 AM
Very high input impedance high voltage meter??? Norm Dresner Electronics Repair 21 September 27th 04 08:04 AM
High Voltage DC Vidor Wolf Electronics 2 May 9th 04 01:02 AM