Posted to alt.home.repair

Default High line voltage

On 3/27/2015 9:19 AM, TimR wrote:
On Friday, March 27, 2015 at 5:14:28 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
A lot of homes have high voltage when they are built, but the wires
corrode and they have calcium deposits inside them, sand the connections
are constricted, and after 16 years the voltage goes down to normal.

Yes. You know how a digital multimeter gives you all sorts of phantom voltage readings?

This is why.

When electrons run down the wire and bump into calcium deposits, some of them bounce out of the wire and spill around. There's never enough to be a hazard, but they certainly confuse sensitive equipment.

That's why I reach for the old Simpson 260D when my digital is giving a strange result.

(everything in the post I quoted and my post is BS, except I do still use my old Simpson)

We all know that calcium is a conductor like sodium and
potassium and lithium. So, the electrons would go right
through.

To explain the ghost phantom voltages, you have to blame
Bush and the experimental programs. That, or the hackers
in Soviet Union.

-
..
Christopher A. Young