Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hard to start chain saw

I have a cheap($100)poulin mod p3314wsa gas chain saw that .is very hard to start. When I pull on the starting rope it feels like there is way too much compression. Is this normal or what? Maybe !~m just getting old and weak. HELP Herb
Posted to alt.home.repair

"herb white" wrote in message
I have a cheap($100)poulin mod p3314wsa gas chain saw that .is very hard
to start. When I pull on the starting rope it feels like there is way too
much compression. Is this normal or what? Maybe !~m just getting old and
weak. HELP Herb

Do some work outs and try again.
Also, you gotta get smarter 'n that machine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/2015 11:29 AM, herb white wrote:
I have a cheap($100)poulin mod p3314wsa gas chain saw that .is very hard to start. When I pull on the starting rope it feels like there is way too much compression. Is this normal or what? Maybe !~m just getting old and weak. HELP Herb

Take out the spark plug and drain out all the gunk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
On 3/24/2015 11:29 AM, herb white wrote:
I have a cheap($100)poulin mod p3314wsa gas chain saw that .is very
hard to start. When I pull on the starting rope it feels like there
is way too much compression. Is this normal or what? Maybe !~m just
getting old and weak. HELP Herb

Take out the spark plug and drain out all the gunk.

And then pull the muffler and check/clean it . Plugged muffler can do that
too . I have a Homelite that I have to dump the chain oil when I put it up ,
it leaks into the crankcase if I leave it .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/2015 3:11 PM, mike wrote:
On 3/24/2015 11:29 AM, herb white wrote:
I have a cheap($100)poulin mod p3314wsa gas chain saw that .is very
hard to start. When I pull on the starting rope it feels like there
is way too much compression. Is this normal or what? Maybe !~m just
getting old and weak. HELP Herb

Take out the spark plug and drain out all the gunk.

Some times, removing the spark plug, and then
pull the start cord a couple times will loosen
up an old machine. If not, it helps with the
diagnostic.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 19:31:21 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 3/24/2015 3:11 PM, mike wrote:
On 3/24/2015 11:29 AM, herb white wrote:
I have a cheap($100)poulin mod p3314wsa gas chain saw that .is very
hard to start. When I pull on the starting rope it feels like there
is way too much compression. Is this normal or what? Maybe !~m just
getting old and weak. HELP Herb

Take out the spark plug and drain out all the gunk.

Some times, removing the spark plug, and then
pull the start cord a couple times will loosen
up an old machine. If not, it helps with the
diagnostic.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

If it's like my Remington it will spin like a top with the plug out.
It's just a REALLY snappy high compression 2 stroke.
It'll tear the starting rope right out of your hand if it doesn't
start.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"herb white" wrote in message
I have a cheap($100)poulin mod p3314wsa gas chain saw that .is very hard
to start. When I pull on the starting rope it feels like there is way too
much compression. Is this normal or what? Maybe !~m just getting old and
weak. HELP Herb

By hard to start, is it just the ammount of pull on the rope, or do you have
to pull the rope 10 to 20 times to get it to start ?

If it takes lots of times to pull the rope, youmay need to rebuild the
carbarator. Could be it may just need adjusting. If it is like one of my
saws, you need a special nutdriver looking tool to do it.

Does it run ok after starting ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 10:01:50 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

If it takes lots of times to pull the rope, youmay need to rebuild the
carbarator. Could be it may just need adjusting. If it is like one of my
saws, you need a special nutdriver looking tool to do it.

Hmmmm,,,,,
Just curious what this special tool is, and what brand is the saw?
Is it one of those torx things with the pin in the middle they use on a
lot oc computers? (Safety torx)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 10:01:50 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
Hmmmm,,,,,
Just curious what this special tool is, and what brand is the saw?
Is it one of those torx things with the pin in the middle they use on a
lot oc computers? (Safety torx)

It depends on the saw. My Poulin takes what looks like a small nutdrive.
The shaft is hollow, but instead of a hex socket, there are about 10 or so
small splines. The screw on the carborator does not hace a slot,but the
outside of it has about 10 or so splines that match the nutdriver looking
thing. I found one of those on line.

I have an older weed eater I think it is a Homelight,but not sure as I gave
it to my son. The screws for it had a flat round head with a small hole
about 1/16 of an inch deep that is off center. For some reason they will
not sell that tool. Some of those government regulations. I removed those
screws and cut a screw slot in it with my Dremmal tool so I could adjust it.
A search for those tools will give about 3 or 4 special tools for the odd
ball screw heads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 18:03:02 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Generally they are 12 point (bi-hex) bolts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 20:55:00 -0600, wrote:

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 19:39:53 -0400,
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 18:03:02 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

outside of it has about 10 or so splines that match the nutdriver looking
thing. I found one of those on line.

I have an older weed eater I think it is a Homelight,but not sure as I gave
it to my son. The screws for it had a flat round head with a small hole
about 1/16 of an inch deep that is off center. For some reason they will
not sell that tool. Some of those government regulations. I removed those
screws and cut a screw slot in it with my Dremmal tool so I could adjust it.
A search for those tools will give about 3 or 4 special tools for the odd
ball screw heads.

Generally they are 12 point (bi-hex) bolts.

Which are viewed he
http://www.sfc-dubai.com/wp-content/...Point-Bolt.jpg

Aren't those also called external torx?

Nope, Torx is 6 point.

I had those on the tailgate hinges on one of my pickup trucks. I
believe it was the 88 Ford I had a few years ago.

What i dont understand is why they make all these special bolts, the
plain old hex bolts worked just fine. I think they just want to sell
more tools!!!

BiHex or 12 point allows higher torque on a smaller head. Header bolts
and cyl head bolts are both good examples - where there isn't room for
a typical hex bolt head or nut and an "allen" head isn't practical.
Torx has better drive than philips or robertson - and even better than
allen for the same size (more linear surface area for the tool to
"bite" on)

Then there are the "security" versions and "one way" heads that can be
tightened but not removed.

It's just like my toolbox once had 8 or so box wrenches,
now it has DOUBLE that amount because I need both SAE and Metric. And
as my eyes get worse from old age, it seems they make the lettering
smaller on them, so I am forced to try all of them until I find one that
fits.

It seems that no matter what is manufactured these days, the end goal is
to make it as difficult and complicated as possible. This is
particularly true with vehicles and machinery, computer operating
systems, and cellphones. But it goes beyond that. Like making 3/4"
plywood 25/32 so it wont match up with the older stuff. And why does a
portable radio these days need 40 buttons and 16 knobs? They used to
work fine with three knobs (Tuning - Volume - Tone), and two switches
(Power - AM/FM).

Apparently they have all forgot the KISS method.

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

more tools!!! It's just like my toolbox once had 8 or so box wrenches,
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
What i dont understand is why they make all these special bolts, the
plain old hex bolts worked just fine. I think they just want to sell
more tools!!! It's just like my toolbox once had 8 or so box wrenches,
now it has DOUBLE that amount because I need both SAE and Metric. And
as my eyes get worse from old age, it seems they make the lettering
smaller on them, so I am forced to try all of them until I find one that
fits.

Sometimes I can understand the need for certain bolts. It sure makes things
difficult for the home owner just to keep his stuff up. I found about 6 or
more different tools just to adjust the stupid carburators on the small
engines.
They have a D a double D, Packman, those splines , the off center pin and
another one or two that I don't remember from all my searching. All to turn
a screw less than 2 inches long and about a # 10 or # 8 if they were the
American size. They calim the government makes them do that to keep the
home owner from adjusting the carbs for air polution. Don't they know
anyone can get the tools even if they have to be ordered from China off ebay
?
Then there is a torx screw to get the covers off to get to the carburator if
it needs to be rebuilt.

Some of the worse cars I remember are the ones that had metric and American
bolts on the same car.

Now you don't need double, but 3 or 4 times as many as the torx and reverse
torx and a few other odd balls.
As good wrenches last almost forever (often have a lifetime warrenty) I
think they come out with the new types just to sell more tools.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"W2 Wage Slave" wrote in message

Most corporations typically roll out a new "Program of the Month" about
every three years.
It gives the many layers of management something easy and measurable to do
to justify their 6-figure existence.

The company I worked for did that at one time. Toward the last 10 years it
sort of stopped. The business had turned down so I don't think they had the
money to waste on that sort of thing.

I just thought that about every 4 years a new class of college students came
through and they had to have some kind of idea to justify a job for them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 23:43:59 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I dont doubt the governement makes them do this..... The gov. tends to
do everything to make life difficult, such as those crappy new gas cans.

Then there is a torx screw to get the covers off to get to the carburator if
it needs to be rebuilt.

Some of the worse cars I remember are the ones that had metric and American
bolts on the same car.

Yea, I have one of those cars! Its a 1989 Chevy station wagon, which I
keep for it's antique value, but do still drive it one and awhile.
Working on that car is a nightmare when it comes to try to figure out
which wrench to use. Just to change the alternator belt requires both
SAE and Metric. I know that for fact, since I have done it several
times and gotten ****ed off each time too. The same is true for the
many of the body bolts

Now you don't need double, but 3 or 4 times as many as the torx and reverse
torx and a few other odd balls.
As good wrenches last almost forever (often have a lifetime warrenty) I
think they come out with the new types just to sell more tools.

I agree with that! I did pick up a kit that has all those oddball
sizes. It's just for the small ones, (1/4" nut driver bits), but it has
all the security bits, other oddballs, and all the common such as torx,
allen, phillips, etc....

One type I really do like, are the torx. When they changed from
phillips to torx on deck screws and (some) drywall screws, that was the
best thing they ever did. I cant count how many phillips bits I have
ruined over the years, or ruined the screw heads. I have never yet
ruined a torx bit, although some of my oldest ones started to get
sloppy, so I replaced them. But they sure made life easier, and there
have only been a few torx screw heads that I have ruined.

A local lumber yard has COLORED torx bits for all the sizes needed for
the standard deck screws. They cost a buck more, but that was also a
great improvement. I know exactly which one to grab, depending on the
screw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

[...]

From my understandign the phillips were suspose to torq out to prevent over
tightning. I have never liked them.
That may have worked for some, but for things like the deck screws you often
need all the power you can get. If you are in business, I can see where
colored bits will pay off.
When I was working there were a couple of tools I used out of a socket set
and painted them a color so I could just grab them. We did not have tool
boxes to carry around with us, but just a bunch of draws in the shop so we
had to carry what we thought we needed all over the plant.

I have ordered a couple of inexpensive small tool sets from China off ebay.
It is amazing how many differant small screw types there are. Not sure what
they are called, but a couple were like a 3 sided phillips. I doubt the
tools would hold up under heavy use, but for home use where I might need to
use them just a couple of times they should be beter than nothing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 15:45:40 -0600, wrote:

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 23:43:59 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

On those GMs, all of the metric body screws were a blue green colouer
- and virtually all of the metric screws were "oddball" metrics.
"normal" metrics, as used by the japs, are 8mm on 5mm bolts,10mm heads
on 6mm bolts,12mm on 8mm bolts, 14mm on 10mm bolts, and17mm on 12mm
bolts and 19mm on 14mm bolts.

The "squareheads" add 7mm bolts with 11mm heads, and use 13mm instead
of 12mm on the 8mm bolts. and 17mm on 10mm bolts, 19mm on 12mm, and
22 on 14.

Ansi/iso throws 16, 18 and 21 into the mix.

When I started working on Metric Toyotas back in 1970, all I needed
was 8,10,12,14,17,19, and 22mm.

In a pinch, a 9/16 inch could sub for 14mm (.55 inch) a 11/16" could
fill in for a 17mm (.669") and a 3/4" worked for 19mm (.748") and a
13/16"s a snug fit on a 21mm (.826")
A 3/4 inch worked on 22mm (.866")

In the Din/Ansi world a 7/16" would work for 11mm (.433")
One type I really do like, are the torx. When they changed from
phillips to torx on deck screws and (some) drywall screws, that was the
best thing they ever did. I cant count how many phillips bits I have
ruined over the years, or ruined the screw heads. I have never yet
ruined a torx bit, although some of my oldest ones started to get
sloppy, so I replaced them. But they sure made life easier, and there
have only been a few torx screw heads that I have ruined.

A local lumber yard has COLORED torx bits for all the sizes needed for
the standard deck screws. They cost a buck more, but that was also a
great improvement. I know exactly which one to grab, depending on the
screw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 1:29:31 PM UTC-5, herb white wrote:
I have a cheap($100)poulin mod p3314wsa gas chain saw that .is very hard to start. When I pull on the starting rope it feels like there is way too much compression. Is this normal or what? Maybe !~m just getting old and weak. HELP Herb

I was in here posting and noticed this post. I'll just mention this - it may be worthless but ... twice (lawn mower and saw) this has fixed things for me.

There is a key on the flywheel, maybe not on your unit, that holds the position of the wheel on the power shaft. The key is designed to break away. If it is damaged (bent), even a little bit, the wheel's position changes ever so slightly and the magnet, attached to it, arrives late/early to the magneto or spark timing circuit. If your saw has such an arrangement, look at the key (keyway?). I replaced mine and it was night and day.

This may have NOTHING to do with your unit. I was just so surprised at the effect of a sightly off position flywheel I thought I mention it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default impact driver for long deck screws

On 3/27/2015 5:52 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

From my understandign the phillips were suspose to torq out to prevent over
tightning. I have never liked them.
That may have worked for some, but for things like the deck screws you often
need all the power you can get. If you are in business, I can see where
colored bits will pay off.

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt...ver-68853.html

I got one of these about a year ago, and it sure helps
with driving screws into decks.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 2:29:31 PM UTC-4, herb white wrote:
I have a cheap($100)poulin mod p3314wsa gas chain saw that .is very hard to start. When I pull on the starting rope it feels like there is way too much compression. Is this normal or what? Maybe !~m just getting old and weak. HELP Herb

Buy an electric chain saw. Start every time
Posted to alt.home.repair

"tmurph" wrote in message
On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 2:29:31 PM UTC-4, herb white wrote:
I have a cheap($100)poulin mod p3314wsa gas chain saw that .is very hard
to start. When I pull on the starting rope it feels like there is way
too much compression. Is this normal or what? Maybe !~m just getting old
and weak. HELP Herb

Buy an electric chain saw. Start every time

I would, but can not afford the cost of the drop cords.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/28/2015 11:16 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"tmurph" wrote in message
On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 2:29:31 PM UTC-4, herb white wrote:
I have a cheap($100)poulin mod p3314wsa gas chain saw that .is very hard
to start. When I pull on the starting rope it feels like there is way
too much compression. Is this normal or what? Maybe !~m just getting old
and weak. HELP Herb

Buy an electric chain saw. Start every time

I would, but can not afford the cost of the drop cords.

How about an electric chain saw and a portable generator?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sam E" wrote in message
On 03/28/2015 11:16 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Buy an electric chain saw. Start every time

I would, but can not afford the cost of the drop cords.

How about an electric chain saw and a portable generator?

My chain saw engine starts beter than my 5 kw portable generator. It is
also difficult to get the generator through the woods.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/29/2015 4:22 PM, Sam E wrote:
I have a cheap($100)poulin mod p3314wsa gas chain saw that .is very
hard
to start. When I pull on the starting rope it feels like there is way
too much compression. Is this normal or what? Maybe !~m just getting
old
and weak. HELP Herb

Buy an electric chain saw. Start every time

I would, but can not afford the cost of the drop cords.

How about an electric chain saw and a portable generator?

I have a cheap($100) Harbor Freight generator that .is very hard
to start. When I pull on the starting rope it feels like there is way
too much compression. Is this normal or what? Maybe !~m just getting old
and weak. HELP Herb

..
Christopher A. Young
Yes, I'm a wiseacre. Don't listen to me.
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/29/2015 5:54 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Sam E" wrote in message
How about an electric chain saw and a portable generator?

My chain saw engine starts beter than my 5 kw portable generator. It is
also difficult to get the generator through the woods.

Chainsaw, 10 pounds. Generator 125 pounds.

Good point.

-
..
Christopher A. Young