Posted to alt.home.repair
dennis

Default Wiring for Hard Start Kit

Can anyone help me figure out how to wire my SUPCO 3-in-1 hard start
kit for my refrigerator? There are 3 plugs on the kit that go to the
compressor which is easy enough. How do I wire the 2 black cords from
the kit to the powercord/fridge? Please check the following link for
my diagram as it is a little more complicated than it sounds.

http://img250.imageshack.us/my.php?i...dgeplug1bf.jpg

Also, how should I handle the cracked wires?

Thanks,
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud--

dennis wrote:

Can anyone help me figure out how to wire my SUPCO 3-in-1 hard start
kit for my refrigerator? There are 3 plugs on the kit that go to the
compressor which is easy enough. How do I wire the 2 black cords from
the kit to the powercord/fridge? Please check the following link for
my diagram as it is a little more complicated than it sounds.

http://img250.imageshack.us/my.php?i...dgeplug1bf.jpg

Also, how should I handle the cracked wires?

Thanks,
Dennis

Nice diagram but I have minimal idea what you have. What was original
wiring? What is current wiring/what was changed? What are installation
instructions? What is bottom center black box? What do wires from the
plug-to-outlet connect to? Is cracked-wire = broken-wire? Does that mean
cracked insulation?

bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair
dennis

Sorry, I was more elaborate in a different troubleshooting post.
Anyway, what you see is the original wiring. I have not changed or
done anything yet. The kit instructions say to hook the 3 plugs up to
the appropriate terminals on the compressor.

http://hdsupply.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=10400

The above link is similar to the kit I have. The 3 wires at the bottom
hook up to the compressor (common/start/run). The black wires on top
(toward the left on the picture) should be connected to the "power
supply".

I am guessing in this case they would connect to the 2 black wires on
the left side of my diagram (as the kit replaces the relay and cap).
But I am not sure. And, if this is where they go, I am not sure which
one goes to which.

The black box on the bottom is actually on the power cord. It is not a
box, but just a rubberized "enlargement" of the cord. (Seems like some
type of splitter manufactured onto the cord.)

The broken wires/cracked wires are one and the same. The insulation is
so old and dry that not only did they crack when I was manipulating the
wires, but the wires themselves broke as well.

At the bottom of my diagram is the plug. So, from the plug you have
the power supply cord with a green ground coming off, then the square
part on the cord from which a black wire comes out (on the plug side)
and 2 black, 2 orange and a brown that come off on the opposite
(appliance) side as diagrammed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud--

dennis wrote:

[...]

My guess (note the woud guess) would be:

This is like what you have (does not include defrost heaters, if any)

existing start relay
--------------O--thermostat--O--and cap--O------compressor start winding
Line cord | |-----------------compressor run winding
hot | ---------fan (if any)

---lite switch--O--lite (if any)

----------------O--lite (if any)
|-------------------------fan (if any)
--------------O----------------------------------compressor common
line cord
neutral

My guess of what you want is:

--------------O--thermostat--O------------------your "device"
Line cord | |
| ---------fan (if any)

---lite switch--O--lite (if any)

----------------O--lite (if any)
|-------------------------fan (if any)
--------------O----------------------------------your "device"
line cord
neutral
your "device"---O---compressor start winding
your "device"---O---compressor run winding
your "device"---O---compressor common

The original relay and cap are replaced.
The black "enlargement" contains several of the (--O--) splices.
Figuring out the existing circuit through the "enlargement" would help
you. I would cut it out, keeping track of what wires went where, and use
an ohm meter to figure out the connections and circuit. The compressor
"common" lead from your "device" probably connects straight through to
one of the "device" supply wires - this supply wire should be connected
to the line neutral. The green ground wire stays connected to the refrig
frame - a very important wire.
Not obvious what a "Guardette" is.
When insulation gets hot it becomes brittle and can crack. It would be
unusual for wires to break - maybe they vibrated/flexed?
I presume you checked your compressor is in the 1/12 to 1/5 HP rating of
the "device".
Information from the internet may be hazardous to your (and the
refrigerator) health.

bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Yep, that's the one I use. And a good price, too.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"dennis" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

I've wired a bunch of these. And had good results with them. Take off
the guardette, the capacitor, and the start relay. What's left should
be the two wires that go to the Supco.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.