Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weird goop leaking out a window seal

Hi All,

I have a windows mounted into an aluminum frame. There is no
sign whatsoever that a rubber/plastic spline was used to mount
the windows.

We have had a few nasty hurricane force dust storms over
that last three months or so.

I noticed on the outside side of the windows that there is
now a waxy ooze coming out the mount point of the glass into
the aluminum pane. It is loaded full of dust. It has the
consistency of grease or wax. It is difficult to rub off,
but comes off easily with rubbing alcohol.

By chance, the the original mounter use "glazing compound"
instead of a spline?

And, what do you guys think of me removing the goop with
91% Isoporpyl Alcohol, then sticking toothpicks between the
window and the aluminum frame, and squeezing silicone caulk
(the ones painters use) into the resulting crack, waiting
for it to dry, then removing the tooth picks and caulking
their holes too? (Speaking of run-on sentences.)

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

T wrote:
[...]

Use clear Lexel .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 00:06:40 -0700, T wrote:

[...]

A couple of photos would surely help. What you "may" have is pollen.
Pine trees are notorious. Desert sand flying around is like talc
powder. Stuff covers your vehicle

How old are the windows. You could re glaze them to stop penetration,
leaks, etc. Is the glass single, dual or triple pane?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/22/2015 10:45 AM, Oren wrote:
[...]

It is single pane. And it is definitely dirt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 15:27:26 -0700, T wrote:

How old are the windows. You could re glaze them to stop penetration,
leaks, etc. Is the glass single, dual or triple pane?

It is single pane. And it is definitely dirt.

Sounds like a leak at the pane and frame.

Pick your poison

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/23/2015 11:45 AM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 15:27:26 -0700, T wrote:

How old are the windows. You could re glaze them to stop penetration,
leaks, etc. Is the glass single, dual or triple pane?

It is single pane. And it is definitely dirt.

Sounds like a leak at the pane and frame.

Pick your poison

Nothing from the bottom, a little from the sides,
and a bunch from the top.

I am thinking it was glazing compound as it is
not water soluble.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 14:01:06 -0700, T wrote:

On 03/23/2015 11:45 AM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 15:27:26 -0700, T wrote:

How old are the windows. You could re glaze them to stop penetration,
leaks, etc. Is the glass single, dual or triple pane?

It is single pane. And it is definitely dirt.

Sounds like a leak at the pane and frame.

Pick your poison

Nothing from the bottom, a little from the sides,
and a bunch from the top.

Inspect the window outside trim. Caulk fails so there are chances for
the elements to infiltrate. Ensure the trim is caulked. Pay attention
to the top...sides and bottom. Do not fall off the ladder.

I am thinking it was glazing compound as it is
not water soluble.

Photos would help :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/24/2015 12:21 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 14:01:06 -0700, T wrote:

On 03/23/2015 11:45 AM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 15:27:26 -0700, T wrote:

How old are the windows. You could re glaze them to stop penetration,
leaks, etc. Is the glass single, dual or triple pane?

It is single pane. And it is definitely dirt.

Sounds like a leak at the pane and frame.

Pick your poison

Nothing from the bottom, a little from the sides,
and a bunch from the top.

Inspect the window outside trim. Caulk fails so there are chances for
the elements to infiltrate. Ensure the trim is caulked. Pay attention
to the top...sides and bottom. Do not fall off the ladder.

I am thinking it was glazing compound as it is
not water soluble.

Photos would help :-\

No ability to post photo :-(

I think I am just going to clean up with rubbing alcohol
and a toothbrush. Then silicone caulk the thing

Thank you for helping me with this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 13:45:43 -0700, T wrote:

I think I am just going to clean up with rubbing alcohol
and a toothbrush. Then silicone caulk the thing

Thank you for helping me with this.

....make yourself happy

Kenny Chesney - Flora-Bama
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqzM7bP6aRY