Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Weird goop leaking out a window seal

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 00:06:40 -0700, T wrote:

Hi All,

I have a windows mounted into an aluminum frame. There is no
sign whatsoever that a rubber/plastic spline was used to mount
the windows.

We have had a few nasty hurricane force dust storms over
that last three months or so.

I noticed on the outside side of the windows that there is
now a waxy ooze coming out the mount point of the glass into
the aluminum pane. It is loaded full of dust. It has the
consistency of grease or wax. It is difficult to rub off,
but comes off easily with rubbing alcohol.

By chance, the the original mounter use "glazing compound"
instead of a spline?

And, what do you guys think of me removing the goop with
91% Isoporpyl Alcohol, then sticking toothpicks between the
window and the aluminum frame, and squeezing silicone caulk
(the ones painters use) into the resulting crack, waiting
for it to dry, then removing the tooth picks and caulking
their holes too? (Speaking of run-on sentences.)

Many thanks,
-T

A couple of photos would surely help. What you "may" have is pollen.
Pine trees are notorious. Desert sand flying around is like talc
powder. Stuff covers your vehicle

How old are the windows. You could re glaze them to stop penetration,
leaks, etc. Is the glass single, dual or triple pane?