Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Buying Condo, GFCI Problems

I have a two-day old agreement to buy a condo. The condo has one full bath and a small kitchen. Today with my realtor I did a two-hour inspection. With a GFCI tester, I found that none of the kitchen nor bathroom outlets were GFCI protected. Furthermore, one of the kitchen outlets shows an "Open Ground" with my GFCI tester. I checked the voltage between the hot wire and ground in this outlet, and it reads about 0 volts (nowhere near the 120 volts or so it should read). The cover plate of this kitchen outlet has some silicone-looking like sealant around its edge.

In the condo's breaker box, the breakers for the kitchen and bath outlets do not appear to be GFCI. Even if they were, the fact is no breaker nor GFCI button trips when I press the test button on my GFCI tester for the bath and kitchen outlets.

I suspect that the bathroom and kitchen outlets at one time were GFCI, but the GFCI outlet(s) failed. Someone maybe went cheap and did not put in new GFCI outlets? Furthermore, they wired the outlet in the kitchen incorrectly?

I sold my house this past September and went through the inspection process.. You all gave me a good education on GFCI protection. Because of the counsel here, I have my own GFCI tester. I also have a voltmeter.

Any advice on what to ask from the seller on this matter? I would rather make the repair myself, on a hunch that the problem is as I describe above.

I found two more problems about which I will post separately.

Thank you in advance.