Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Remodeling upstairs condo, power out downstairs condo

Arggggghhhhh! New owner of condo above ours has gutted his kitchen and
is putting down Pergo-type flooring in other rooms. We began having
trouble with one or another electrical circuits going out in our condo
whilst he worked upstairs. The first time, he was hammering almost
above where I was sitting and at the same moment, power went out in our
dining room and adjoining office area. Went out and reset the breaker,
aok. Then, twice, the elec. to our two baths and small hallway went
out. I didn't notice when it happened, as I don't use those lights
during the day. We reset the breaker once, and aok, but reset the
breaker next time and now the power won't come on to the baths and
hallway. The guy wasn't truthful, I believe, when he told me he was
working in a different area the first time it happened. I haven't seen
his condo, but hubby said kitchen is gutted to the studs with wires
hanging all over. He allegedly has an electrician. His unit is same
layout as ours, but entirely separate breaker panels. I assume much of
our wiring would be beneath his floor.

I have called the city building dept, no response yet, and fire insp.,
not their job. I think he must have put a nail through a wire, but I
don't know electricity or breaker panels or ohms or watts. Can the
vibration from his work wiggle something loose in the main panel? Any
other ideas? My dryer is broken, waiting for a part, and I can't handle
this much stress all at once )
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote in message
k.net...

I have called the city building dept, no response yet, and fire insp., not
their job. I think he must have put a nail through a wire, but I don't
know electricity or breaker panels or ohms or watts. Can the vibration
from his work wiggle something loose in the main panel? Any other ideas?
My dryer is broken, waiting for a part, and I can't handle this much
stress all at once )

Vibration can indeed cause problems, but that's unusual. My guess is that
the remodeling project shorted a circuit and tripped a breaker. The wiring
in some buildings is weird. A breaker is tripped somewhere ... just my
guess. Good luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
[...]

Vibration isn't likely to 'wiggle' anything loose, but I agree that it's
entirely possible he's put a nail through a wire belonging to you. If
your unit is partly sub-grade probably most of the horizontal runs of
your wiring goes through your ceiling/his floor.

Did he run his proposed renovations past your strata council? Generally
that's pretty much a requirement. If not, go to your strata council and
explain what's happening. I'm also pretty sure he needs permits from the
city to be doing work or having work done, and things need to be
inspected afterward. This character may be trying to slide his
renovations in 'under the radar'.

Yours aye,
W. Underhill

--
"Take sides! Always take sides! You may sometimes be wrong - but the man
who refuses to take sides must *always* be wrong! Heaven save us from
Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles wrote:

"Norminn" wrote in message
k.net...

I have called the city building dept, no response yet, and fire insp., not
their job. I think he must have put a nail through a wire, but I don't
know electricity or breaker panels or ohms or watts. Can the vibration
from his work wiggle something loose in the main panel? Any other ideas?
My dryer is broken, waiting for a part, and I can't handle this much
stress all at once )

Vibration can indeed cause problems, but that's unusual. My guess is that
the remodeling project shorted a circuit and tripped a breaker. The wiring
in some buildings is weird. A breaker is tripped somewhere ... just my
guess. Good luck!

If the place was wired using "back-stab" devices, vibration
could well be to blame.

Since one problem involved bath recepts, check that any GFCI
recepts are Reset.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Speedy Jim wrote:
Charles wrote:

"Norminn" wrote in message
k.net...

I have called the city building dept, no response yet, and fire
insp., not their job. I think he must have put a nail through a
wire, but I don't know electricity or breaker panels or ohms or
watts. Can the vibration from his work wiggle something loose in the
main panel? Any other ideas? My dryer is broken, waiting for a part,
and I can't handle this much stress all at once )

Vibration can indeed cause problems, but that's unusual. My guess is
that the remodeling project shorted a circuit and tripped a breaker.
The wiring in some buildings is weird. A breaker is tripped somewhere
... just my guess. Good luck!

If the place was wired using "back-stab" devices, vibration
could well be to blame.

Since one problem involved bath recepts, check that any GFCI
recepts are Reset.

Jim

I don't know what a "back-stab" device is. Our condo is ground floor,
on slab, about 40 y/o, Florida. Condo assn. won't do anything - the
wiring is "common element" and theirs to repair. Called city building
dept. - guy upstairs has no building permit. Haven't heard back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
Speedy Jim wrote:
Charles wrote:

"Norminn" wrote in message
k.net...

[...]

"Back-stab" devices have holes on the back sized to the gauge of wire
intended to be used - for most interior domestic situations, 14-ga.
wires. They are easier to use than screw terminals, as all you have to
do is strip the insulation on each lead back about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch
or so and push the bare copper end into the hole. Many such switches and
outlets have a groove of exactly the right length; strip it back that
much and it will fit perfectly.

The screw terminals are more work, because you have to strip, then curve
the end of the wire, back off the screw, work the wire in, tighten the
screw... but it makes a much more secure connection. I'm in the process
of leisurely renovating in my own place, and as I do each room, one of
the things I do is move wires from the back-stabs to the screw terminals.

I'm curious as to why the condo association won't do anything. Surely
they have the power to enforce compliance with the association
bylaws/rules, and to levy fines for non-compliance? And even if they
don't, I should think the city would do something.

Yours aye,
W. Underhill

--
"Take sides! Always take sides! You may sometimes be wrong - but the man
who refuses to take sides must *always* be wrong! Heaven save us from
poltroons who fear to make a choice!" R.A. Heinlein, "Double Star"
--
Main homepage: http://members.shaw.ca/fog.locker/
SCA homepage: http://members.shaw.ca/uilliam/
LiveJournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/jackytar/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Talk to condo manager or raise the issue with condo board.
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped
I'm curious as to why the condo association won't do anything. Surely
they have the power to enforce compliance with the association
bylaws/rules, and to levy fines for non-compliance? And even if they
don't, I should think the city would do something.

Yours aye,
W. Underhill

It is the condo association from hell, and the sister-in-law from hell
is the president of the board; got all the guys by the short hairs. She
assaulted me about 5 years ago, so I will not have contact with her for
any reason. A previous president, when main sewer line was clogged and
sewage backing up into my unit, refused to do anything. "We obviously
need a plumber." That was a common-elements problem, for the board to
tend to. I did type up a letter to the association yesterday, and by
the time I finished my hands were shaking so violently I couldn't hit
the keys. I just don't "go there" any more. Or try not to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 28, 6:18 am, Norminn wrote:
clipped

[...]

Sending the letter is a very good idea. I would send two copies, one
registered mail with a receipt and one regular mail. Don't get
nasty, but just spell out clearly your concerns about what is going on
and the possible fire hazard. Are you sure the wiring is a common
element? Usually, anything like wiring/plumbing that serves only one
unit is that units responsibility.

I'd also check with the town and see if he's pulled any permits. If
he's really gutted his kitchen, then there should be permits pulled.
And most places, they have to be posted in a viisible spot. Check
that out first, as it's good additional info to include in the condo
letter.

If none of that produces results, then I'd call in an electrician.
Have him find/fix the problem and then send the bill to the upstairs
owner, followed by small claims, if needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:42:19 -0000, wrote:

On Jun 28, 6:18 am, Norminn wrote:
clipped

I'm curious as to why the condo association won't do anything. Surely
they have the power to enforce compliance with the association
bylaws/rules, and to levy fines for non-compliance? And even if they
don't, I should think the city would do something.

Yours aye,
W. Underhill

It is the condo association from hell, and the sister-in-law from hell
is the president of the board;

She's your sister in law or the upstairs n'bor's?

.. She
assaulted me about 5 years ago, so I will not have contact with her for
any reason.

I have an HOA pres like yours, and I'm on the board again. Now she
puts her hand on my shoulder and tells me and whoever else is there
that she "loves me". She's never apologized for any of the bad thigns
she did, like cheating on the election, etc.

Sending the letter is a very good idea. I would send two copies, one
registered mail with a receipt and one regular mail. Don't get
nasty, but just spell out clearly your concerns about what is going on
and the possible fire hazard.

All good ideas.

Are you sure the wiring is a common
element? Usually, anything like wiring/plumbing that serves only one
unit is that units responsibility.

I'd also check with the town and see if he's pulled any permits. If

If one is not going to get permits, he'd better keep his neibhros
happy. Although I think I would have used the threat of calilng the
building deparatment until they stopped ruining the op's electricity.

Then I'd make sure they got the permit.

he's really gutted his kitchen, then there should be permits pulled.
And most places, they have to be posted in a viisible spot. Check
that out first, as it's good additional info to include in the condo
letter.

If none of that produces results, then I'd call in an electrician.
Have him find/fix the problem and then send the bill to the upstairs
owner, followed by small claims, if needed.

Yep. The neighor should expect that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Remodeling upstairs condo, power out downstairs condo........Update

Norminn wrote:
[...]

Well, the electricians just left. It's Friday. They knew immediately
what the problem was......nails through the pipe and wire, multiple
times through one length of wire. Wires burned through entirely. Might
be back tomorrow - overtime, have to check with the office. They can't
get wires fed through the pipe, so may have to replace it. It would be
easier to tear out my flawless ceiling than to tear up my idiot
neighbor's floor........The electrician said there had to have been
sparks when the neighbor hit the nails. I have the building department
coming back Monday because the neighbor told him a different story than
he told me about doing structural work. I don't like idiots or liars.
At least the part for my dryer is in....can't wait 'til Monday.

Why are all the idiots on the planet moving into my condo?

And thanks to all who offered assistance. I appreciate it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Norminn wrote:

[...]

We have only 8 units in our condo. Two owned by lush deadbeats,
father and son. Son is months behind on monthly assessment and hasn't
begun to pay a $2200 special assessment. Condo pres. is best buddies
with them. Did I mention the father and son are both on the board? The
father had a million-dollar sailboat, lives here part-time....home in
the Bahamas. Unfortunately, he appears to be in good health. A lien?
Not much good, unless one of them croaks. One unit owner lives in
England, one in Jersey. The neighbor who wrecked my wiring told me he
has a likely buyer...owned his unit since March.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Was: Remodeling upstairs condo, power out downstairs condo........Fixed

clipped

Well, the electricians just left. It's Friday. They knew immediately
what the problem was......nails through the pipe and wire, multiple
times through one length of wire. Wires burned through entirely. Might
be back tomorrow - overtime, have to check with the office. They can't
get wires fed through the pipe, so may have to replace it. It would be
easier to tear out my flawless ceiling than to tear up my idiot
neighbor's floor........The electrician said there had to have been
sparks when the neighbor hit the nails. I have the building department
coming back Monday because the neighbor told him a different story than
he told me about doing structural work. I don't like idiots or liars.
At least the part for my dryer is in....can't wait 'til Monday.

Why are all the idiots on the planet moving into my condo?

And thanks to all who offered assistance. I appreciate it.

This is kind of like talking to myself, but here goes....the first
electrician couldn't get back until tomorrow. Probably going slow
because they expected a big fight over who pays and how to access the
wiring. Electrician #2 came today. Had to take up a small portion of
flooring in the upstairs unit being remodeled. Said there were many
nails through the pipe carrying the wiring. Pipe just beneath the
subfloor, too close. Wiring conduit has to cross two concrete beams, so
that is probably why conduit is so close to the floor. Got their fish
tape stuck on nails, but all now is good downstairs ) This is an
example of why it is a good reason for DIYers not get carried away with
remodeling in a condo - the condo. assn. owns the wiring and should have
made the repairs. In our condo, the board is more likely to be involved
in matters none of their business.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 1:19?pm, Norminn wrote:
clipped

[...]

in matters none of their business.- Hide quoted text -

they are lucky it doidnt cause a fire.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

they are lucky it doidnt cause a fire.......

Electrician said it would be a hazard if we had....something-trex?
Forget the term ) I sure don't know why the difference.

Cavity downstairs and solid wall upstairs? Mick6 UK diy 11 February 21st 07 08:27 PM
Radiators hot upstairs BUT cold downstairs? [email protected] UK diy 11 November 15th 06 05:56 PM
Warmer upstairs vs. downstairs synergy3000 Home Repair 4 May 31st 06 06:00 AM
A/C for my condo yh2665 Home Repair 12 July 7th 05 11:36 PM
Very hot water upstairs, not as hot downstairs. AnthB UK diy 2 June 22nd 05 10:35 PM