Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need tips to dry wet spot on carpet

We managed to dump about a half gallon of water on a carpet floor today.
It's just water so it's not gonna stain or anything, but the carpet is
fairly thick and has foam padding under it. My main concern is that it
dont swell the particle board floor under it. The wet spot is about one
sq. ft in size.

I dont have a wet-dry shop vac, or I would have used that. I laid dry
towels on it and stepped them into the spot. Then used more towels and
repeated a few more times.

Since then I have been using a heat gun on the spot. moving it quickly
so I dont burn the carpet. It's partly dry at the surface but I can
tell the padding is still wet.

Just thought I'd post this to see if anyone has other tips...

(No, I'm not gonna remove the carpet).

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2015 11:31 PM, wrote:
We managed to dump about a half gallon of water on a carpet floor today.
It's just water so it's not gonna stain or anything, but the carpet is
fairly thick and has foam padding under it. My main concern is that it
dont swell the particle board floor under it. The wet spot is about one
sq. ft in size.

I dont have a wet-dry shop vac, or I would have used that. I laid dry
towels on it and stepped them into the spot. Then used more towels and
repeated a few more times.

Since then I have been using a heat gun on the spot. moving it quickly
so I dont burn the carpet. It's partly dry at the surface but I can
tell the padding is still wet.

Just thought I'd post this to see if anyone has other tips...

(No, I'm not gonna remove the carpet).

Thanks

It will be a crappy mess if the particle board comes apart, and it
doesn't take long. A shop vac would be a very worthwhile investment.
Everybody has them...borrow from a neighbor? We rented a high-power vac
when a washer hose let go and flooded our kitchen and dining room.
Dining room rug was soaked and about 1" of standing water in
kitchen....the rug was dry within 24 hrs., but I was able to lay some
pvc pipes under it to help aerate, then kept fan going.

I repainted the trim in our DR after we had tile installed on floors.
When I repainted, I caulked the gap along bottom of baseboard, mostly so
that the bb did not soak up water if I mopped the tile. It was a
worthwhile effort because it helped contain our flood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 7, 2015 at 7:42:26 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Winter time, the air is already dry. Put out a couple
fans, and keep the air circulating. That's my first
thought. Maybe a neighbor or friend has either a
wet vac or a carpet extractor you can borrow for this
incident. By the next day, any soak in damage is likely
done and can't be reversed.

Agree. Just get a fan and keep it aimed at the carpet.
With dry air moving past the carpet, it will dry out fast.
Shop vac would be good if you had it initially or if there
was standing water. But by now the water has spread out,
dispersed and I doubt a vac is going to do much good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Who the **** has a particle board floor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Col. Edmund Burke" wrote in news:mdf2m8$8pf$1
@colonel-edmund-j-burke.dont-email.me:

Who the **** has a particle board floor?

You remember him don't you? He's one of the three clowns (micky & Danny D
are the other two) that asks all the stupid questions here looking for
attention. Then ignores the advice he gets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 7 Mar 2015 05:01:47 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, March 7, 2015 at 7:42:26 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Winter time, the air is already dry. Put out a couple
fans, and keep the air circulating. That's my first
thought. Maybe a neighbor or friend has either a
wet vac or a carpet extractor you can borrow for this
incident. By the next day, any soak in damage is likely
done and can't be reversed.

Agree. Just get a fan and keep it aimed at the carpet.
With dry air moving past the carpet, it will dry out fast.
Shop vac would be good if you had it initially or if there
was standing water. But by now the water has spread out,
dispersed and I doubt a vac is going to do much good.

By now, there is no standing water, like you said. It is drying, and I
have been using that heat gun every 20 minutes or so (when I'm in the
house). The surface drys, but that water comes back up and the carpet
is once again damp. I am going to run a fan now. that way it will keep
drying, not just whane I run the heat gun.

I do have a "Shop Vac", but it's only for DRY use (as far as I know).
It dont say "wet" anywhere on it. I bought it at a garage sale, so I
dont have any instructions. But that really dont matter anymore now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 10:32:14 PM UTC-6, wrote:
We managed to dump about a half gallon of water on a carpet floor today.
It's just water so it's not gonna stain or anything, but the carpet is
fairly thick and has foam padding under it. My main concern is that it
dont swell the particle board floor under it. The wet spot is about one
sq. ft in size.

I dont have a wet-dry shop vac, or I would have used that. I laid dry
towels on it and stepped them into the spot. Then used more towels and
repeated a few more times.

Since then I have been using a heat gun on the spot. moving it quickly
so I dont burn the carpet. It's partly dry at the surface but I can
tell the padding is still wet.

Just thought I'd post this to see if anyone has other tips...

(No, I'm not gonna remove the carpet).

Thanks

WAG - Heat it, pour a couple pounds dried rice on it, cover it with plastic and let it sit a day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 10:51:15 -0500, Meanie
wrote:

(No, I'm not gonna remove the carpet).

Thanks

I didn't realize carpeting was laid under bridges.

LOL

Carpet is portable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 22:31:37 -0600, wrote:

The wet spot is about one sq. ft in size.

Then just surrender. Allow those best qualified to determine the
merits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 16:59:21 -0500, Norminn
wrote:

That sounds like some useful advice. I've heard about putting a wet
cellphone in rice. Why not the carpet. I'm going to do this. The
carpet is pretty dry now, but I can tell there is still moisture in the
pad under it.

Thanks

And if the rice soaks up so much water it turns to mush, then what?

I began to think about that....

Using the fan, and several more times using that heat gun, seems to have
it pretty dry. I'm just gonna let the fan run over night and I think it
will be good. I just ran the vaccuum cleaner over it to lift the top
furry part of the carpet. That say more air can get to the lower part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2015 4:59 PM, Norminn wrote:
That sounds like some useful advice. I've heard about putting a wet
cellphone in rice. Why not the carpet. I'm going to do this. The
carpet is pretty dry now, but I can tell there is still moisture in the
pad under it.

Thanks

And if the rice soaks up so much water it turns to mush, then what?

Call the Chinese family with the dog that likes to
eat off the floor. You know; Pug Dum Mut.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, March 7, 2015 at 7:42:26 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Winter time, the air is already dry. Put out a couple
fans, and keep the air circulating. That's my first
thought. Maybe a neighbor or friend has either a
wet vac or a carpet extractor you can borrow for this
incident. By the next day, any soak in damage is likely
done and can't be reversed.

Agree. Just get a fan and keep it aimed at the carpet.
With dry air moving past the carpet, it will dry out fast.
Shop vac would be good if you had it initially or if there
was standing water. But by now the water has spread out,
dispersed and I doubt a vac is going to do much good.

Hi,
Rent a carpet steam cleaner and use it's vacuum to suck up as much
water as you can. And point a potable heater with fan/lo heat on
the wet area. Hope sub floor is not particle board. Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 10:32:14 PM UTC-6, wrote:
We managed to dump about a half gallon of water on a carpet floor today.
It's just water so it's not gonna stain or anything, but the carpet is
fairly thick and has foam padding under it. My main concern is that it
dont swell the particle board floor under it. The wet spot is about one
sq. ft in size.

I dont have a wet-dry shop vac, or I would have used that. I laid dry
towels on it and stepped them into the spot. Then used more towels and
repeated a few more times.

Since then I have been using a heat gun on the spot. moving it quickly
so I dont burn the carpet. It's partly dry at the surface but I can
tell the padding is still wet.

Just thought I'd post this to see if anyone has other tips...

(No, I'm not gonna remove the carpet).

Thanks

The problem is mostly with the padding, which will be the last to dry. Your Shop Vac may work for water if the inside pipe deflects away from the motor. Remove any cloth or paper filter first. Google the model and see what the mfr. says. You should hope to get the padding dry within 3 days before mold and mildew set in. You may also have a stain from the spill; although only clean water, it will wick up soil from the subsurface as it dries. It may also leave a white outline from mineral deposits if you have hard water. To avoid wicking of soil you can put down a thick layer of white towels and put a weight on it; then the soil will wick into the towels. The cleaner your carpet the less the problem with wicking.

In the meantime keep applying dry towels and standing on them until no more water comes up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

All good ideas...
Heat
Dry moving air
Rice

But covering with plastic, not a good idea

Mark

Carpet cleaning tips? Mr. Nonsense Home Repair 6 September 2nd 09 04:13 PM
Carpet spot dye Charlie Home Repair 3 October 7th 07 10:59 PM
Got an awkward carpet to fit. Any tips? PC Paul UK diy 13 August 16th 05 09:05 PM
Question on Miller Spot welder tips Roy Metalworking 2 January 19th 04 03:00 AM
Need tips on carpet types BillR UK diy 5 July 8th 03 07:46 PM