Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is the flooring "tile" that looks like boards?

A commercial building put some flooring in a waiting room, and it looks
like those wooden plank floors that lock together, but it's not wood.
It hs wood grain, but it's actually some sort of vinyl or other
"plastic" material. The pieces are like boards about 6 or 7 inches wide
and 3 or 4 feet long. The seams are visible, so it's not any sheet
goods. It seems real durable.

I'd like to find out what this stuff is, and possibly use it in my
kitchen. I was considering those wood planks that lock together, but
not only are they quite costly, but I was told they will not hold up
well since this is a farm house and the floor is constantly getting wet.
Plus I dont think the finish coating on the wood would last long with
all the dirt that gets tracked in.

I've always figured that if the floor needs to be covered with throw
rugs to protect the flooring, why install the flooring.

Sheet goods were my next choice, but I like this stuff, and if it's used
in a commercial building, it's generally durable and of good quality.
It's probably pricey too, but if it lasts a long time, I'll pay the
price.

Anyone have any idea what this stuff is called???

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 10:11:58 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Laminate flooring, Pergo being one leading brand. It's vinyl type
stuff on the top layer, with the wood grains and color imprinted on it.

Regarding real wood type laminate and water, I guess it depends on
how wet it gets. I think for a typical kitchen, where it could get
a little water on it from time to time, it's fine. The wood layer and
finish can handle somew ater. If the kitchen
gets flooded from a leak, it's not noticed and sits there for a day,
then it's going to have problems. But in the latter case, so will
products like Pergo. While the top layer is vinyl, it too has some
wood composition.

Cost could be a factor. The real wood laminates are more expensive.
Also if you have any plans to sell at some point in the near future,
real hardwood floors are going to be looked at more favorably by most
buyers than imitation vinyl.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/2/2015 10:11 PM, wrote:
[...]

There are all kinds of laminate flooring. Basically plywood with a
plastic coating. My son has put it in his kitchen. Very durable but if
surface were to completely wear through you could not bring it back as
with refinishing wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There are various laminate flooring panels. You
can see them at Home Depot or Lowes. But
they're all very ugly and cheap looking to my
eye. If the kitchen floor gets a lot of abuse (kids?)
then why not use vinyl tile? The cost of that will
vary a great deal, though, from maybe $1/sf to more
than $10/sf. And it's a lot of work. You could also
use ceramic tile, but that's hard on the feet and
it's hard to keep the grout clean. If it were me
I'd go for some nice hardwood and maybe put a mat
in front of the sink. There's no reason for a lot of
water elsewhere in the kitchen. But that's easy for
me to say. I don't have kids.

If you really want cheap and durable the best
solution might be those swirly vinyl composite
tiles often used in hospitals and office building
hallways. I'm not sure what they go for now, but
I think it's under $1/sf. Stick them down with mastic
on top of plywood underlayment and then hire a
floor waxing company to buff them. They won't win
any beauty contests, but they don't look bad, and
you can do designs with them by using 2 colors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/03/2015 09:09 AM, Frank wrote:

[...]

Some may have a plywood substrate, but some are more like MDF.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 9:09:36 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 3/2/2015 10:11 PM, wrote:
[...]

And there is real wood laminate too, where they use a thinner wood
veneer on top of another substrate. At least some of those, you can
refinish some number of times.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 Mar 2015 09:15:40 -0500, "Mayayana"
wrote:

[...]

Lots of good advice from everyone. Thanks!

I think anything made from laminated wood is not good for my needs. A
friend put parkay (parquet) SP? in his front hallway, and in less
than a year, the tiles right by the door had popped up. I could see
that snow was constantly getting tracked in, so the wood apparently
swelled from the moisture. Several times he tried to glue all those
little pieces of wood back in place, but it was a constant problem. He
said he was going ot have to remove it and put down sheet vinyl...

Ceramic is out of the picture. I used to live in a house that had
ceramic tile on the bathroom floor. I cant count the number of times
that I or someone else fell down in there. It's too slippery, esp. when
wet. When an elderly parent came to stay, I had to cover the whole
floor with rubber mats, because she was prone to falling anyhow. I had
planned to replace that floor, but we moved first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 Mar 2015 08:07:39 -0500, songbird

Vinyl plank flooring - most common are Alure and Tarkett

not a very good choice for a floor that gets a
lot of moisture or dirt -- too many seams.

songbird

Self sealing seams.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 09:09:15 -0500, Frank
wrote:

On 3/2/2015 10:11 PM, wrote:
[...]

What he was talking about is NOT laminate. It is a heavy flexible
vinyl flooring product - most of it self adhesive and self sealing.
The stuff stands up very well, and being textured is not nearly as
slippery as a ceramic or porcelain tile, or even typical square vinyl
tile.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is the flooring "tile" that looks like boards? Going to the dogs

posted for all of us...

Try to ignore the dog ;-)
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Ed%27s%20wound.jpg

I WILL NOT IGNORE THE DOG! What's the name? Still alive? bring back great
memories.

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*