Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default What is the flooring "tile" that looks like boards?

On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 10:11:58 PM UTC-5, wrote:
A commercial building put some flooring in a waiting room, and it looks
like those wooden plank floors that lock together, but it's not wood.
It hs wood grain, but it's actually some sort of vinyl or other
"plastic" material. The pieces are like boards about 6 or 7 inches wide
and 3 or 4 feet long. The seams are visible, so it's not any sheet
goods. It seems real durable.

I'd like to find out what this stuff is, and possibly use it in my
kitchen. I was considering those wood planks that lock together, but
not only are they quite costly, but I was told they will not hold up
well since this is a farm house and the floor is constantly getting wet.
Plus I dont think the finish coating on the wood would last long with
all the dirt that gets tracked in.

I've always figured that if the floor needs to be covered with throw
rugs to protect the flooring, why install the flooring.

Sheet goods were my next choice, but I like this stuff, and if it's used
in a commercial building, it's generally durable and of good quality.
It's probably pricey too, but if it lasts a long time, I'll pay the
price.

Anyone have any idea what this stuff is called???

Thanks

Laminate flooring, Pergo being one leading brand. It's vinyl type
stuff on the top layer, with the wood grains and color imprinted on it.

Regarding real wood type laminate and water, I guess it depends on
how wet it gets. I think for a typical kitchen, where it could get
a little water on it from time to time, it's fine. The wood layer and
finish can handle somew ater. If the kitchen
gets flooded from a leak, it's not noticed and sits there for a day,
then it's going to have problems. But in the latter case, so will
products like Pergo. While the top layer is vinyl, it too has some
wood composition.

Cost could be a factor. The real wood laminates are more expensive.
Also if you have any plans to sell at some point in the near future,
real hardwood floors are going to be looked at more favorably by most
buyers than imitation vinyl.