Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What trowel size and type of thinset for 12" X 12" X 5/8" tile?

I'm getting ready to tile my kitchen. The tile is has a pretty flat
bottom. I've searched but have gotten conflicting answers on this, but
what is basicaaly the best trowel to use on a tile like this?
And also would regular thinset do?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 8:02 am, Mikepier wrote:
I'm getting ready to tile my kitchen. The tile is has a pretty flat
bottom. I've searched but have gotten conflicting answers on this, but
what is basicaaly the best trowel to use on a tile like this?
And also would regular thinset do?

Look on the bag of thinset, often the trowell size is there.
To find out for yourself test a trowell by applyig thinset and placing
a tile, pry it up and see what kind of coverage you get, the idea is
to avoid voids.
As for the type of thinset , it really depends upon the substrate ,
and in the case of tiles which are translucent if it shows through.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

beecrofter wrote:
On Nov 8, 8:02 am, Mikepier wrote:
I'm getting ready to tile my kitchen. The tile is has a pretty flat
bottom. I've searched but have gotten conflicting answers on this, but
what is basicaaly the best trowel to use on a tile like this?
And also would regular thinset do?

Look on the bag of thinset, often the trowell size is there.
To find out for yourself test a trowell by applyig thinset and placing
a tile, pry it up and see what kind of coverage you get, the idea is
to avoid voids.
As for the type of thinset , it really depends upon the substrate ,
and in the case of tiles which are translucent if it shows through.

And tile, and is this floor/wall/??? ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
I'm getting ready to tile my kitchen. The tile is has a pretty flat
bottom. I've searched but have gotten conflicting answers on this,
but what is basicaaly the best trowel to use on a tile like this?
And also would regular thinset do?

I use a 1/2" comb. Cheapest thinset (about $4.50/50 lbs) if you are
laying on concrete or cement board.

Saltillo?

--

dadiOH