Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why is there "paper" under 12" tile squares.

Yesterday, we pulled the 12" square tile squares off a bathroom floor. We
have owned the place for almost 20 year but we don't know how much longer
than that the tile was in place.

Anyway, it seems that these is "paper" between the tiles and the sub-floor.

Was this common practice in the past? I will say that the "paper" made it
easy to pick up the old tiles. The paper is stuck to the subfloor here and
there but most of it scrapes up. The paper didn't seem to absorb moisture
unlike the masonite underlayment that the kitchen the same house used.

If I knew what the stuff was, I would be tempted to put down "paper" again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Gilmer" wrote in message
Yesterday, we pulled the 12" square tile squares off a bathroom floor.
We
have owned the place for almost 20 year but we don't know how much longer
than that the tile was in place.

Anyway, it seems that these is "paper" between the tiles and the
sub-floor.

Was this common practice in the past? I will say that the "paper" made
it
easy to pick up the old tiles. The paper is stuck to the subfloor here
and
there but most of it scrapes up. The paper didn't seem to absorb
moisture
unlike the masonite underlayment that the kitchen the same house used.

If I knew what the stuff was, I would be tempted to put down "paper"
again.

My 1980 vintage kitchen countertop had the Craft wax paper. Base cabinet,
particle board, wax paper, bed of mortar with chicken wire and than the tile
on top of it all. Lasted for years.

Don't know about floors. My floor tiles were bounded directly to the
concrete slab. Had to take a jack hammer to it as the rotary hammer wasn't
strong enough. Would have been lot easier to remove if paper were used on
top of the concrete.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:13:57 -0300, "John Gilmer"
wrote:

Yesterday, we pulled the 12" square tile squares off a bathroom floor. We
have owned the place for almost 20 year but we don't know how much longer
than that the tile was in place.

So the only thing holding everything in place was the grout and
gravity?

Anyway, it seems that these is "paper" between the tiles and the sub-floor.

Was this common practice in the past? I will say that the "paper" made it
easy to pick up the old tiles. The paper is stuck to the subfloor here and
there but most of it scrapes up. The paper didn't seem to absorb moisture
unlike the masonite underlayment that the kitchen the same house used.

If I knew what the stuff was, I would be tempted to put down "paper" again.

Just a guess, maybe there was paper between the tiles in the box they
came in, and the installer put them down a s a unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Gilmer" wrote

Yesterday, we pulled the 12" square tile squares off a bathroom floor.
We
have owned the place for almost 20 year but we don't know how much longer
than that the tile was in place.

Anyway, it seems that these is "paper" between the tiles and the
sub-floor.

Maybe they were peel and stick tiles.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yesterday, we pulled the 12" square tile squares off a bathroom floor.
We
have owned the place for almost 20 year but we don't know how much longer
than that the tile was in place.

Anyway, it seems that these is "paper" between the tiles and the
sub-floor.

Is this ceramic floor tile ? If so, the membrane is called 'slip sheet'..
Google

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yesterday, we pulled the 12" square tile squares off a bathroom floor.

We
have owned the place for almost 20 year but we don't know how much longer
than that the tile was in place.

So the only thing holding everything in place was the grout and
gravity?

No. The tiles seems to be of the "self-stick" variety or have some very
thin adhesive. These are just your run of the mill "plastic" tiles.
Except for where the bridged over the joint between two pieces of the
sub-floor, there was no tile failure and no lifting. The tiles butted
against each other so there was no grout.

The "paper" seems to be held down by some still put down with a notched
trowel. Just your regular "mastic."

Anyway, it seems that these is "paper" between the tiles and the

sub-floor.

Was this common practice in the past? I will say that the "paper" made

it
easy to pick up the old tiles. The paper is stuck to the subfloor here

and
there but most of it scrapes up. The paper didn't seem to absorb

moisture
unlike the masonite underlayment that the kitchen the same house used.

If I knew what the stuff was, I would be tempted to put down "paper"

again.

Just a guess, maybe there was paper between the tiles in the box they
came in, and the installer put them down a s a unit.

The paper isn't is 12x12 sections. It seems to cover the floor. I havn't
found joints but I haven't looked hard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
. ..

"John Gilmer" wrote

Yesterday, we pulled the 12" square tile squares off a bathroom floor.
We
have owned the place for almost 20 year but we don't know how much

longer
than that the tile was in place.

Anyway, it seems that these is "paper" between the tiles and the
sub-floor.

Maybe they were peel and stick tiles.

Oh, I'm sure they are. But the paper is still between the tiles and the
subfloor.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rudy" wrote in message

Yesterday, we pulled the 12" square tile squares off a bathroom floor.
We
have owned the place for almost 20 year but we don't know how much

longer
than that the tile was in place.

Anyway, it seems that these is "paper" between the tiles and the
sub-floor.

Is this ceramic floor tile ? If so, the membrane is called 'slip sheet'..

They are plastic tiles. But tell me more about "slip sheet."

Google

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote

Nancy Young wrote:
"John Gilmer" wrote

Yesterday, we pulled the 12" square tile squares off a bathroom
floor. We
have owned the place for almost 20 year but we don't know how much
longer than that the tile was in place.

Anyway, it seems that these is "paper" between the tiles and the
sub-floor.

Maybe they were peel and stick tiles.

No-peel and stick?

That's what I was thinking, I guess some kind of glue would stick
to that paper backing and hold the squares down. Interesting.

I lined my kitchen cabinets with those and I didn't peel the backing
off because I didn't want them sticking, but I'm not walking around
in my cabinets. I had to cut around the edges because the paper
extends past the tile, so if that's what someone did in the OP's place,
it wasn't by accident.

At any rate, I think I misunderstood the original question.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 07:19:59 -0300, "John Gilmer"
wrote:

"Rudy" wrote in message

Yesterday, we pulled the 12" square tile squares off a bathroom floor.
We
have owned the place for almost 20 year but we don't know how much

longer
than that the tile was in place.

Anyway, it seems that these is "paper" between the tiles and the
sub-floor.

Is this ceramic floor tile ? If so, the membrane is called 'slip sheet'..

They are plastic tiles. But tell me more about "slip sheet."

I'm not positive, but I think he phrased it the way he did so you
would look. I tried 'slip sheet' tile , and seemed to do
pretty well. Saying 'ceramic tile' cuts the number of hits in
half.

Google

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi:

My answers to some of the questions raised didn't get posted for some
reason.

To answer the questions: the "tiles" were some kind of plastic. They seem
to be the "stick on" type where you peel off a backing sheeting before
applying.

The "paper" I found was one (or, maybe two) large sheets.

To the person who mentioned "slip sheets" I would like to have more of a
memory dump from you.

I hope this post "makes it."

Thanks for your thoughts so far.

JLG

"John Gilmer" wrote in message
Yesterday, we pulled the 12" square tile squares off a bathroom floor.

We
have owned the place for almost 20 year but we don't know how much longer
than that the tile was in place.

Anyway, it seems that these is "paper" between the tiles and the

sub-floor.

Was this common practice in the past? I will say that the "paper" made

it
easy to pick up the old tiles. The paper is stuck to the subfloor here

and
there but most of it scrapes up. The paper didn't seem to absorb

moisture
unlike the masonite underlayment that the kitchen the same house used.

If I knew what the stuff was, I would be tempted to put down "paper"

again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can't remember whether you mentioned what the subfloor was made of?

I didn't.

The subfloor is 1/2" plywood. BUT the joists are close together and the
relatively thin subfloor doesn't seem to have caused any problems. It
seems (to me) that each floor first had plywood laid down over the joists
and THEN the walls (interior AND exterior) were constructed. There is
brick veneer on the street side and the entrance side (end unit) but
composition board on back. As built the units were/are good looking but
MANY shortcuts were taken with the details. Some joists have a LOT of wood
missing for drains. In some cases, "they" changed their minds and two sets
of holes were made in joist. But, again, the joists are close together and
the floors just don't bounce!

The "paper" easily lifts off the plywood in many places. In other places I
have to scrape. In some places (I haven't finished the job), I suspect I
will have to do some HARD scraping or even some sanding.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gilmer View Post
Yesterday, we pulled the 12" square tile squares off a bathroom floor. We
have owned the place for almost 20 year but we don't know how much longer
than that the tile was in place.

Anyway, it seems that these is "paper" between the tiles and the sub-floor.

Was this common practice in the past? I will say that the "paper" made it
easy to pick up the old tiles. The paper is stuck to the subfloor here and
there but most of it scrapes up. The paper didn't seem to absorb moisture
unlike the masonite underlayment that the kitchen the same house used.

If I knew what the stuff was, I would be tempted to put down "paper" again.
It's the old lanoleum silly!