Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What size trowel for 12" tiles

1/4x3/8" U shaped?

These are thick porcelain tiles and have large voids on the back.
Wondering if I would be better off back buttering them?

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Press one on and pull it off, evaluate the coverage and back butter if it is
not good enough. It may hold well with voids but might crack due to lack of
support. If this is an edge molding or similar, fill it up.

wrote in message
ups.com...
1/4x3/8" U shaped?

These are thick porcelain tiles and have large voids on the back.
Wondering if I would be better off back buttering them?

Posted to alt.home.repair
thetiler

Back butter them with the flat side of the trowel.
The 1/4 x 3/8 trowel should be fine for 12 x 12 tiles.

thetiler

Posted to alt.home.repair

thetiler wrote:
Back butter them with the flat side of the trowel.
The 1/4 x 3/8 trowel should be fine for 12 x 12 tiles.

thetiler

Does it matter if it's U, Square or V shapped?

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Square leaves more than U which leaves more than V but they all smoosh flat
when you put the tile on.

Square and U are pretty close, V might not leave enough thinset

wrote in message
oups.com...

thetiler wrote:
Back butter them with the flat side of the trowel.
The 1/4 x 3/8 trowel should be fine for 12 x 12 tiles.

thetiler

Does it matter if it's U, Square or V shapped?

Shower tray - laying mosaic tiles Steve UK diy 1 September 7th 05 08:21 AM
Selecting wall tiles for a shower. [email protected] Home Ownership 3 May 30th 05 07:39 PM
How to replace a shower when I don't have matching tiles Richard Hamer UK diy 7 January 9th 05 07:10 PM
plastering Jon W UK diy 12 March 8th 04 11:13 PM
When laying floor tiles, what size will give the best illusion of space? Jon Weaver UK diy 2 August 13th 03 12:05 AM