Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can Coleman Stoves use regular gasoline?

"Ralph Mowery" wrote:
wrote in message
Amoco "white gas" is generically known as "naptha" and is the same as

coleman fuel. Used to use it in the old Maytag and IronHorse washing
machine engines, as well as the "gasoline" (mantle) lanterns on the
farm, as well as in the old "gasoline" blowtorches used by tinsmiths
to heat theit soldering "copper". It used to be available at every
local hardware store.

I think you are wrong on that. The Amoco white gas that was sold in service
stations for cars was not "naptha" but gasoline that cars used. It just
differant addativies instead of 'lead' to raise the octane.
Coleman fuel may actually be naptha, but it will not work very well in a car
engine.

I used to use amoco in Coleman the 60s. My dad liked amoco in our cars.
Wonder if that wore down valves.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-03-02, gregz wrote:

I used to use amoco in Coleman the 60s. My dad liked amoco in our cars.
Wonder if that wore down valves.

Amoco was more of an Eastern company. I never saw an Amoco station in
CA until the late 50s. When we finally did patronize one, we began
using unleaded in our Coleman units, exclusively. Gas stations usta
advertise if they carried "white gas". In fact, I don't even remember
seeing Coleman stove fuel until the 70s, after I did my military
stint. Never saw it as a kid in the 50s.

BTW, "white gas" is not the same as "white spirits" (turpentine,
naptha, Stoddard's solvent, etc).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_spirit

nb

Can Coleman Stoves use regular gasoline? [email protected] Home Repair 63 August 11th 17 02:39 PM
Gasoline "additives": kerosene in gasoline? Existential Angst[_2_] Home Repair 13 November 6th 12 05:10 PM
Coleman Powermate amdx Home Repair 7 June 9th 08 11:20 PM
Jotul Stoves - Anyone sell these stoves Online? M Wilson Home Repair 3 October 28th 04 10:23 PM
White Gas, Coleman Fuel, and Unleaded Gasoline Gunner Metalworking 11 October 6th 03 05:44 AM