Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Descending Stairs: Some Kind Of Safety Device?

Due to neurological issues, descending a staircase is becoming
increasingly problematic for Yours Truly.

Current strategy is going down sideways holding the railing, but a
collapsed knee could defeat that.

If I take a header, seems like the best outcome would be a quick
death... but the most likely outcome would be long term disability.

That being said....

Is anybody familiar with assistive devices to mitigate the risk?

A mini-elevator seems like overkill to me - and also a space-eating
PITA.

Ascending, no problem... worst case a bruised knee or something.

I'm starting to think in terms of some kind of quick-on-quick-off
harness attached to a spool whose speed of unwinding is governed.

You put slip the harness on around the chest, start going down the
stairs, start to take a header, and the inertial brake on the spool
kicks in reducing the header to something more like a straight-down fall
on to one's butt or knees.

Anybody been here?
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 1:27:56 PM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

safety must come first, get a chairlift..... many are available on craiglist
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2015 12:27 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I'm starting to think in terms of some kind of quick-on-quick-off
harness attached to a spool whose speed of unwinding is governed.

You put slip the harness on around the chest, start going down the
stairs, start to take a header, and the inertial brake on the spool
kicks in reducing the header to something more like a straight-down fall
on to one's butt or knees.

Anybody been here?

Haven't been there and hope never to experience it but...

How about vinyl covered stranded cable - as is used for dog runs, etc -
with an appropriate load capacity, Anchored with heavy duty eye bolts
top and bottom and tensioned (like piano wire) using a suitable
turn-buckle at one (or both ends.

Jerry-rig a belt/restraint to keep you, literally, on a short leash.
Tethered on one end to said restraint with a snap hook, the other end
would be permanently(?) on the wire and with a pressure release. (That
will be the hardest part, I think, finding the piece that will be your
snub).

Walk down stairs holding railing and/or safety cable and squeezing snub
to allow it (and you) to move downward. If you fall, let go of the snub
and you are, er, snubbed in a happy way.

There are other ways, I'm sure, but this jumped into mind first thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 1:40:30 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
[...]

Chairlift is what I thought of too. IDK if that's what he meant by
a mini-elevator? I know people who have had them installed. Never
heard of any harness/spool kind of thing and
I would think that there would be all kinds of scenarios where people
could still get hurt. Not sure about the part about not needing in
for the ascent either. I can see how one direction would be more difficult
than the other, but still I would think the going up direction must not
be all that safe/secure either. The chairlift takes care of both.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 10:53:52 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

safety must come first, get a chairlift..... many are available on craiglist

Chairlift is what I thought of too. IDK if that's what he meant by
a mini-elevator? I know people who have had them installed. Never
heard of any harness/spool kind of thing and
I would think that there would be all kinds of scenarios where people
could still get hurt. Not sure about the part about not needing in
for the ascent either. I can see how one direction would be more difficult
than the other, but still I would think the going up direction must not
be all that safe/secure either. The chairlift takes care of both.

I agree with the chair lift. The seat will fold up out of the way,
not interfere with others using the stairs. They work in power outages
I believe, and have a seat belt, too?

I knew my time was coming; regarding stairs, so I bought a single
story home ~2006. My doctor just had me do blood test for "Dizziness
and Giddiness"...medication was suspect.

Good luck to Pete!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2015 1:27 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

Although a chairlift may seem to be overkill at this point, your words
are, "increasingly problematic" which leads me to infer that your
condition did not appear suddenly and has remained stable, but rather
that your condition is worse now than in the past. Not to be morbid
about it, but it seems reasonable that your problem is likely to
progress further. Therefore, sooner or later the chairlift is likely to
be needed to descend stairs at first, and possibly, even to ascend
stairs. As you say, a bad fall is likely to be catastrophic. Why take
a chance?
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote: "- show quoted text..... many are available on craiglist"

Everytime craigslist is MENTIONED i have to
go take a hot shower!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Retirednoguilt:
your words
are, "increasingly problematic" which leads me to infer that your
condition did not appear suddenly and has remained stable, but rather
that your condition is worse now than in the past. Not to be morbid
about it, but it seems reasonable that your problem is likely to
progress further. Therefore, sooner or later the chairlift is likely to
be needed to descend stairs at first, and possibly, even to ascend
stairs.

I have to agree with that... knees are on the way out... not gone yet,
but the end is in sight.

Another poster's observation about chair lifts folding out of the way
when not in use broke my assumption that one would take up half the
stair case....

I guess it's time to start Googling "Chair Lift"....

Thanks to all for the input.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 15:21:25 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

[...]

Ask your doctor about a "prescription" for a chair lift. She can write
one for medical needs. You may be able to get some tax relief. We
did that when my wife needed hydro-therapy for her hip. We bought a
spa for her based on the Rx and got most of the cost written off, if
not all. Check with a medical supply company and your Tax Man

Worth an investigation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 10:53:52 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

Anybody been here?
--
Pete Cresswell

safety must come first, get a chairlift..... many are available on craiglist

Chairlift is what I thought of too. IDK if that's what he meant by
a mini-elevator? I know people who have had them installed. Never
heard of any harness/spool kind of thing and
I would think that there would be all kinds of scenarios where people
could still get hurt. Not sure about the part about not needing in
for the ascent either. I can see how one direction would be more difficult
than the other, but still I would think the going up direction must not
be all that safe/secure either. The chairlift takes care of both.

I just had the opportunity to take a chairlift for a "test drive" over
the holidays. I dont need one, but I was visiting someone that has one,
and asked if I could try it. It worked fine. It's just screwed to the
steps, and plugged into an outlet, so the installation appears to be
fairly simple.

I suppose they are not cheap, but I've never priced one. But it's
better to pay for the chairlift than pay medical bills after a fall.

My only complaint was it seemed pretty slow. I asked the owner if it
had a faster speed, but it did not.

I think I'd want one with *POWER*..... 5 speeed transmission, over
drive, and at least a 200HP motor, capable of doing a flight of stairs
in 0.25 seconds, with Anti-Lock brakes. Headlights are optional

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Which immediately made me think of Medicare coverage. So, I checked.
Medicare won't pay for it because it's permanent installed eqpt. But I did
see where it was suggested to do what Oren advised, check with some local
medicare eqpt suppliers and see if they have anything that Medicare does
cover.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in
:

[...]

Hello Pete,

We bought two chair lifts for my mom so that she could stay in her house
for many more years. They are bolted to the stairs and powered by
battery and charging system. Yes they are slow but safety is important
and a change in speed could be dangerous for the user. Hers took up
about a third of the stairway when folded up. This is only an issue at
the top or bottom of the stairway since you never leave the chair
someplace other than at the end of the run. They also have wall or
personal remotes mounted at each end or landing. This facilitates
calling the chair that isn't where you are at. While I never used the
chair as a chair it was useful for porting heavy laundry loads between
floors when helping her. The chair is easy to use for anyone.

I don't recall whose chair she ended up buying. I recall that they were
about $5,000 USD each. We had one to the second level and one to the
basement.

When the house was sold after she could no longer live in it we sold the
chairs to new owners. The runs needed to be about the same length for
the new user, but the manufacturer could have been contacted for
additional track if needed.

Her experience with it was great. It gave her access to her other
levels again, was a safe experience for living alone, and pretty much
always worked for her. The two times one level failed to move, the
local chair lift maintenance person was called and immediately took care
of the issue. As reported it does work in power outages for several to
many uses, depending on the load, run length and so on. Extra batteries
could be added if you were in an area with suspect power.

David
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Feb 2015 05:03:56 +0000 (UTC), David LaRue
wrote:

We bought two chair lifts for my mom so that she could stay in her house

One going upstairs and one going down, and one going nowhere just for
show?

for many more years. They are bolted to the stairs and powered by
battery and charging system. Yes they are slow but safety is important
and a change in speed could be dangerous for the user. Hers took up
about a third of the stairway when folded up. This is only an issue at
the top or bottom of the stairway since you never leave the chair
someplace other than at the end of the run.

I saw a picture of one in an ad somewhere, for a place where it was
crowded at the bottom I guess, and they had the guide wrap around the
newel post at the bottom in order to store the chair where it wasn't
even on the steps. Of course that costs extra and wouldn't work every
place .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 13:27:50 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

I'm starting to think in terms of some kind of quick-on-quick-off
harness attached to a spool whose speed of unwinding is governed.

I'm sure I've seen a mechanism somewhere where lifting a lever lets out
one loop of a coil***. A string/cable/thin rope to pull the release
could be run down the side of the stairway. (as well as the rope that
attaches to the harness, or maybe just a belt?

I guess I'm saying the unwinding wouldn't be variable speed, it would be
very quick once you pulled the string, but only one or two steps' worth
at a time.

How often do you go down these steps? Several times a day? Twice a
week?

***Maybe I'm thinking of the escapement of a mechanical watch or clock,
or something much bigger but similar. If you needed to imitate an
escapement, you'd need two strings going down the steps, One to lift the
left end of the escapement, and one to lift the right, and you'd need to
remember to pull on them alternately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escapement a lot of text and only a few
useful sketches. Plus you'd either have to make this or we need to
think of something you can buy that has one in it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 13:27:50 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote in

Current strategy is going down sideways holding the railing, but a
collapsed knee could defeat that.

How about sitting on the stairs and going down one at a time like you
see pre-walk children do? I'm serious. I had a leg injury once that
lasted a couple of months and that's what I was able to do.

Admittedly it's pretty embarrassing if you have guests over. And this
is obviously not a long term solution. Just something to get you by
(or down) until you figure out something permanent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
[...]

https://www.flickr.com/photos/maxmak...65143762/?rb=1

might do double duty if you put it in your downstairs bar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per micky:
How often do you go down these steps? Several times a day? Twice a
week?

At least a dozen times per day.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per CRNG:
How about sitting on the stairs and going down one at a time like you
see pre-walk children do? I'm serious. I had a leg injury once that
lasted a couple of months and that's what I was able to do.

Admittedly it's pretty embarrassing if you have guests over. And this
is obviously not a long term solution. Just something to get you by
(or down) until you figure out something permanent.

Actually, that was one of the first things that crossed my mind.

I even considered some sort of plank to slide on.

Short of an actual lift, it seems like the most logical and safe
approach because it already lowers one's body - with or without the
plank to slide on.

But I agree with the observations of everybody that the long term
solution involves a lift.

--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 09:59:12 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote in

But I agree with the observations of everybody that the long term
solution involves a lift.

Yes, that seems to be the best long term solution. If you start to
look into lifts, I (and probably others) would appreciate reading what
kind of prices you run into.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In "(PeteCresswell)" writes:

Due to neurological issues, descending a staircase is becoming
increasingly problematic for Yours Truly.

Current strategy is going down sideways holding the railing, but a
collapsed knee could defeat that.

Don't know if this would work for your case, but... if
you put a railing on th eother side of the stairway, can
you reach both with your hands? If so, intall it and
then try walking _backwards_ down the stairway.

It looks silly but is often easier.

- try it first in a building near you that has
the railings on both sides. Small office building
or school, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/1/2015 9:55 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per micky:
How often do you go down these steps? Several times a day? Twice a
week?

At least a dozen times per day.

Me too. Wish we had a single level rather than the raised ranch we do
have. I had no problem until about 18 months ago when knees started to
go. Now I go down mostly leading with the right leg a step at a time.
One a good day, I can hold the railings and use the normal method.

My wife stays on one floor mostly, but that means I have to use them a
bit more Lower level is the family room, office, second bathroom,
utility area that has the freezer and a second fridge. Easy access to
the driveway and car using no steps.

Kitchen and bedrooms are on the upper level, as is a nice deck off the
kitchen. Worked great for 30 years but can be a PITA at times now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
[...]

Look on the bright side - you and your wife got a lot of exercise over the
years, keeping you in better shape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote in
:

wrote:

We bought two chair lifts for my mom so that she could stay in her house

One going upstairs and one going down, and one going nowhere just for
show?

Two story house up north. The main stairway went upstairs to the second
level. Underneath that was a stairway to the basement. So she needed two
runs to get complete access to her house back.

I saw a picture of one in an ad somewhere, for a place where it was
crowded at the bottom I guess, and they had the guide wrap around the
newel post at the bottom in order to store the chair where it wasn't
even on the steps. Of course that costs extra and wouldn't work every
place .

There are special things they can accommodate at the end of the runs that
cost extra. In the middle you might have a turn in the stairway. Ours
were straight runs with simple endpoints.
Posted to alt.home.repair

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

There are fall protection devices designed for workers to prevent injury in
falls from height.

You could string a rope along the stair wall, and use a prussik knot to it on a
line that clips onto your belt. You walk up/down guiding the prussik knot along
with your hand. If you fall, the prussik knot tightens and stops moving on the
guide rope, stopping your fall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

I thought of that, but I don't know that this technique will prevent you
from falling the one or two feet you might fall to hurt yourself on the
stairs. Sure, it would keep you from tumbling all the way down the stairs,
but I don't think that is enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/1/2015 12:27 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

Kitchen and bedrooms are on the upper level, as is a nice deck off the
kitchen. Worked great for 30 years but can be a PITA at times now.

Look on the bright side - you and your wife got a lot of exercise over the
years, keeping you in better shape.

I still use the steps for that reason. With arthritis, not using a
joint can make it worse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pico Rico wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

As long as you don't guide the prussik down further than needed, it should stop
you within a few inches. The length of the prussic line would need to be
correct, and the guide line it attaches too would need to be strongly attached
and reasonably tight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
[...]

Hi,
If only stair case is straight up or down. Isn't there Acorn brand?
Posted to alt.home.repair

safety must come first, get a chairlift..... many are available on craiglist

Hi,
If only stair case is straight up or down. Isn't there Acorn brand?

I researched chairlifts a year or 2 ago........

ACORNS reputation wasnt real good, they may be importing units from china or some such

Some local char lift suppliers sell used ones at a big discount.......

Elderly person has one installed and dies, or moves for whatever reason.

so the unit is de installed, and sold used toanother user

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/31/2015 12:27 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

Hope you are OK

The day after my first knee surgery (many years ago)
I went flying down all the stairs because I did not know how to descend.

Fortunately I didn't make anything too much worse.

Many here had suggested a stair lift and that may be a good idea.

If your arms still have decent strength though. a railing on /both/
sides of the stairs may do the trick

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Feb 2015 16:39:49 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In "(PeteCresswell)" writes:

Due to neurological issues, descending a staircase is becoming
increasingly problematic for Yours Truly.

Current strategy is going down sideways holding the railing, but a
collapsed knee could defeat that.

Don't know if this would work for your case, but... if
you put a railing on th eother side of the stairway, can
you reach both with your hands? If so, intall it and
then try walking _backwards_ down the stairway.

It looks silly but is often easier.

- try it first in a building near you that has
the railings on both sides. Small office building
or school, etc.

It might work.

But I feel obliged to tell about this, which has more than one
difference from what you said. My first year in college I was
*running* *up* tthe stairs, only wide enough for one person, narrower
than the average basement stairs, holding on to both railings, when I
missed a step and must have hung from both railings a bit, and I
dislocated one shoulder. I hadn't done that before. I told myself I
should learn to let go of one railing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/1/2015 11:39 AM, danny burstein wrote:

Don't know if this would work for your case, but... if
you put a railing on th eother side of the stairway, can
you reach both with your hands? If so, intall it and
then try walking _backwards_ down the stairway.

It looks silly but is often easier.

- try it first in a building near you that has
the railings on both sides. Small office building
or school, etc.

When I'm in someone else's house, I walk
backwards down the cellar stairs, less
likely to hit my head on things.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

In the morning when joints are stiff I go down stairs backwards, also any time I'm carrying a load or are otherwise at risk. Backwards is always safer. If you do fall you don't have as far before you hit.

Here's a thought though. Handrails are usually mounted on the side, somewhere around 42 inches high. What if you added a set overhead? That might be much more secure. At least until you get to the point where a lift is the only solution.

I've never seen it done that way but it might work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You need a chairlift. New ones start at about $7000. If you have to turn
a corner then way more. Used ones are available if you look around, but
the lift track must be modified to fit your stairs. There are left hand
and right hand models depending on which side wall it needs to be
located near. You really need someone who knows what they are doing, its
not a DIY job.

I had to have one installed for my wife who was crippled in an auto
accident. We got lucky and found a person who collects them from people
who no longer need them or have passed away; and then sells and installs
them for a modest profit. Used, it cost me $1580 installed.

They run off of constantly charged batteries, so still operate if the
power goes out. The batteries will yield about 9 lifts if the power is
out - so I am told.

The chair folds upward so people can walk by, however moving furniture
or appliances by it is a non-starter unless your stairs are really
really wide. Even folded the chair and track take about a foot of space
next to the wall. So best take care of moving large items from one floor
to the other before installation.

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 12:27:56 PM UTC-6, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Due to neurological issues, descending a staircase is becoming
increasingly problematic for Yours Truly.

I don't see much on my local Craigslist but there are numerous entries for "Stair Lift" on Ebay.