Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LED Light Bulbs for Ceiling Lights

Hi;

My kitchen light fixture uses 3 60w or 75w incandescent bulbs. I also have a ceiling fan that uses 2 60w bulbs and the ceiling lights in the bathrooms and bedrooms.

I would like to go all led. I have X10 throughout my house with the X10 dimable light switches, but I always use them on full power and never dim them..

If you have some LED lights, could you please recommend what I should purchase? I would really like to buy them from ebay because the prices there look great, I am just not sure what to buy because it looks like most of the led bulbs I see say spot light and I really want them to light up a room.

Thanks for any advice / help
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 16:53:37 -0800 (PST), komobu
wrote:

Hi;

My kitchen light fixture uses 3 60w or 75w incandescent bulbs. I also have a ceiling fan that uses 2 60w bulbs and the ceiling lights in the bathrooms and bedrooms.

I would like to go all led. I have X10 throughout my house with the X10 dimable light switches, but I always use them on full power and never dim them.

If you have some LED lights, could you please recommend what I should purchase? I would really like to buy them from ebay because the prices there look great, I am just not sure what to buy because it looks like most of the led bulbs I see say spot light and I really want them to light up a room.

Thanks for any advice / help

The cheap ones with free shipping from China are GREAT - if you like
changing bulbs...
They are cheap anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi;

My kitchen light fixture uses 3 60w or 75w incandescent bulbs. I also have a ceiling fan that uses 2 60w bulbs and the ceiling lights in the bathrooms and bedrooms.

I would like to go all led. I have X10 throughout my house with the X10 dimable light switches,

You may be SOL. I have an outdoor light on X-10 and put an LED
bulb,and when you switch the light off using the X-10 it just goes
dim, not off. If you slide the lever on the bottom, it does go off,
but then you lose the ability to use the controllers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi;

My kitchen light fixture uses 3 60w or 75w incandescent bulbs. I also have a ceiling fan that uses 2 60w bulbs and the ceiling lights in the bathrooms and bedrooms.

I would like to go all led. I have X10 throughout my house with the X10 dimable light switches,

You may be SOL. I have an outdoor light on X-10 and put an LED
bulb,and when you switch the light off using the X-10 it just goes
dim, not off. If you slide the lever on the bottom, it does go off,
but then you lose the ability to use the controllers.

I have many X-10 devices controlling LED bulbs. For the most part,
they work well. Only a few have the symptom you describe and they
haven't been a problem. One acts as a night light and the other is
the LED Christmas tree. Dozens of others work just fine. I would try
a few different brands of dimmable bulbs (most are these days) and see
if they work for you.

Pat
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi;

My kitchen light fixture uses 3 60w or 75w incandescent bulbs. I also have a ceiling fan that uses 2 60w bulbs and the ceiling lights in the bathrooms and bedrooms.

I would like to go all led. I have X10 throughout my house with the X10 dimable light switches,

You may be SOL. I have an outdoor light on X-10 and put an LED
bulb,and when you switch the light off using the X-10 it just goes
dim, not off. If you slide the lever on the bottom, it does go off,
but then you lose the ability to use the controllers.

Ditto. I have 2 post lights outside. One is switched by and in-line x10
module. It turns on the 5 watt LED in the post light, a small 12 volt
power supply to run a sting of Malibu lights and a few outlets used for
Christmas and Halloween lights. This works ok. The other post light has
an x10 motion detector in the post. I'm only using the internal module
(a relay unit) to run the 5 watt LED in that post light. It works fine.
I want to remove the motion detector as I am doing the motion function
in a different way, so I tried a wall switch module as I have a few in
the x10 parts box. It worked as you describe. It seems there is some
leakage current through the triac which is sufficient to dimly light the
lamp when the module is off. The wall module doesn't have a local on
function like regular lamp and appliance module, so I don't think it is
the local monitor current. I've seen this before with some LED Christmas
lights. For that I am using a Smarthome appliance module which
apparently squirts a smaller amount of monitor current through the LED
circuit. If you turn off said module and look at the Christmas lights
(LED), there is a really faint glow, but not enough to see if you stand
back a few feet.

For my 2nd post light, as I didn't have an in-line module in the x10
parts box, I tried an outlet module by the junction box which is
actually located in the basement, for that post lamp. I temporarily
connected the x10 outlet to the power and use a short line cord with
plug to get power to the line going to the post light. It is now working
perfectly, albeit a real kludge. I'll probably get a large outlet box
and put the mess in that box for safety. It might not be to code, but it
should be safe.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Ok, let me add some data to my post. Last night, after posting the
above, I noticed some strange behavior in the 2nd lamp post, using the
outlet module to turn on the lamp post. While it was working correctly
the previous day, last night, when I did an all off, the lamp came back
on. So today I did more investigating. Apparently, the outlet module
does have a local on feature and the LEDs internal power supply caused
the module to re-power. Oops. Why did it work ok previously. Well, there
was a string of regular miniature Christmas lights, plugged into the
outlet on the lamp post. Apparently, the Christmas lights failed, so the
string was essentially open. When working, the Christmas lights provided
a constant load on the module preventing the local on feature from
working. So, today, I removed the outlet module, borrowed the in-line
module from a now stored Christmas thing and all is now working ...
well, not all, the Christmas decoration needs a new module. I have 11
months to fix it.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I would like to go all led. I have X10 throughout my house with the X10 dimable

Before you go any further, WHAT THE HECK IS X10?
Im assuming its some sort of dimmer, but when you use specific brand
names, or model numbers, please explain what they are.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 15:03:38 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

wrote:

I would like to go all led. I have X10 throughout my house with the
X10 dimable

Before you go any further, WHAT THE HECK IS X10?
Im assuming its some sort of dimmer, but when you use specific brand
names, or model numbers, please explain what they are.....

He is not using a brand name, he is talking about a protocol.

It is a home automation system that uses existing wiring to send signals
from controller to module. It can dim with the correct module,
appliance modules just turn on and off.

I have lights that go on by timer. I have other lights that I switch
manually. If I hear a noise outside, I can turn on a couple of outdoor
lights on at the push of a button on my night table.. I can turn every
controlled light on at the push of another button on the control module.

Hi,
X10 technology is old. There are new ones in the market.

True... X10 has been around since the late 70's and was sold under
various brand names (X10, Plug N Power, Sears Home Control System,
Leviton something or other - can't remember). And, yes, there are new
ones. X10 hangs on though partly due to low cost. X10 modules (lamp,
appliance, wall-switch) have always cost about $12 to $15 each.
Apparently, manufacturing cost reductions and underlying technology
improvements just about balanced inflation. Most of the new ones seem
to be the the $40 to $60 range. That gives me sticker shock every
time I see one of them. I was in a Best Buy last week and saw Insteon
modules for $59! I have a house full of X10 stuff and would like to
upgrade to something newer and more reliable (ie, commands always
work), but at those prices I keep waiting for a clear winner.

Posted to alt.home.repair
=+= =+= is offline

--
Go to www.lumennow.org for bulb selection suggestions. There are plenty
of LED bulb choices these days and some good prices on line. Even though

The usual reason that LED bulbs fail prematurely is that their electronics
overheat in enclosed fixtures - especially those with multiple bulbs. But
there are bulbs rated "high temperature" for such fixtures.

TK